Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Closed Threads

AngelIsMe21AngelIsMe21 Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
Saw this screen name on a thread which had been closed on one of the forums (Home Law and Money one I think it was) and The Mix closed it after saying this user is no longer around on the forums. How do they know?

How do The Mix know when people stop using their accounts altogether? Why do they close the threads of such users?

NB..That is just one example above.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I think I read what you’re talking about. I think maybe they close the thread when is a while ago & a few months & maybe they know not around cause The mix stopped access for that person for whatever reason. Dunno. Or something like the user hasn’t logged in for a while
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AngelIsMe21AngelIsMe21 Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    That makes sense Shaunie. But surely they cannot close threads or assume users aren't around on the boards anymore as they may just be taking a break.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thank you @Shaunie! That's right, we tend to close threads that are a couple of months old. This is mainly because people could be in a different place in their life so posting in old thread could bring back memories of a time when they were struggling.

In terms of how we know when someone has stopped using their account, members can send us a private message so we sometimes have information about these things :)

Hope that all makes sense! Let us know if you have any other questions at all :)

- Aife
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    Do you ever remove members which is how you know they're not on the boards anymore or do you assume that if they've not been on for a couple of months they just don't want a break?

I'm just curious as to how it works is all :)
    Hey @AngelIsMe21

We can't comment on individual members, but if someone isn't following any of our boards guidelines then we might remove their access. You can read more about this on our guidelines thread over here. :)

Members can also send us a private message to let us know they are on a break or won't be around for a while. We also have threads that were made over 10 years ago and from time to time these get posted in too. In these cases we assume the original posters aren't active on the boards anymore :)

- Aife
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    It's strange for people to post on very, very old threads though. Surely they'd look at the last date of a post before posting?😂

thanks for your help Aife😀
    Hey @AngelIsMe21[/USER] & [USER="96903"]Shaunie

I've just removed both of your posts on this thread as we can't comment on individual members posting. I should have mentioned that in my previous reply that I'd taken down Shaunie's reply! Sorry about that :p

That's a good question about people posting on old threads. Sometimes when someone is Googling for something they are looking for support about, it links to old threads on our forum which is how they find them :). I guess for newbies they might not know about posting dates or notice them on a thread. Also in sub-forums like our Home, Law & Money one, they aren't posted in as much so it's quite easy to find an old thread if you scroll back through even a few pages. :)

Glad I could help! Do let us know if you have any other questions at all. :)

All the best,

- Aife