Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Update

pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
Hi everyone,

Just checking in to let you all know I’m doing really well in counselling, both my parents and my counsellor have noticed a real difference in my mood and self-confidence and I feel a lot better with fewer voices in my head and more of a positive outlook.

I do have a (slightly different) issue though, I have a doctors appointment next week that I made because I haven’t had a second period since my first one 6 months or so ago. I know this can be normal, taking ages to settle into a regular cycle etc so am I worrying about nothing? Both my friend and my mum were a bit concerned and thought it would be best for me to get it checked out, but I don’t want to waste the doctor’s time.

I’m also not sure what the doctor is going to ask or do if they do find it concerning, and would it help to mention that I was quite late in getting my first period? I was 15 nearly 16.

Pumpkin

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey

Is so great to hear you’re doing well in counselling and that you’re feeling better!

Are you 16 now? I think it is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about at puberty. I don’t really know & no doctor but think periods and the hormones can get all over the place -even for few years or can be regular from the start for some. I’m 19 and still never get regular periods.

But saying that 6 months is quite some time. It wouldn’t be wasting the doctors time, even if it’s just for a piece of mind. If They dont think it is concerning they’d probs just recommend to just wait and see if get a period. Loads of things can stop period even stress and I don’t think stressing about not getting a period is gunna help anything, ah so maybe worth seeing gp if you’re concerned. And would be helpful to mention what age and stuff

All the best
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Thanks for your advice Shaunie,

I am 16 now, and I know what I’ve asked is probably silly since it’s mostly normal but like I said it was other people that were more concerned than me but I’ll go as you said for peace of mind and see what the GP says.

Pumpkin
    It is not silly at all @pumpkinpie
    I remember also being concerned about same. It is really worth an appointment! Hope is nothing wrong
    Take care
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thanks @Shaunie
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi @pumpkinpie ,

It's not a bad thing to check, just to make sure all is well. Better safe than sorry!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Thanks @Azziman
  • FranFran Posts: 118 The Mix Convert
    Hey @pumpkinpie :heart:

Period can vary a lot depending on a great number of factors, from a weight variation, to a really stressful moment. It can happen to have some delays, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I do believe it's a good idea to go see a doctor, because, even if delays are absolutely common and normal, it is always better to have a check up just to be sure. Check ups are safe and I'd rather say better one more than one less.

Let us know and take care,

- Fran
    Thanks @Fran
    Hi,

Just to say I had my appointment today, the doctor was concerned enough to want to do bloods tests so I have to get those next week (kind of nervous since I’ve never had them but I’m a wuss) so I’ll let you know how they go, the doctor thought it could be stress from exams etc.

Pumpkin
    Hey glad they’re helping you! Blood tests aren’t too bad. Keep us updated if like. Hope all is okay

All the best
    Thanks @Shaunie, everything’s okay
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @pumpkinpie

I was so happy to read the first part of your post! So glad to hear the counselling is going well and you're feeling positive. Well done you :yippe:

Glad you got to the doctor, that will put your mind to rest if nothing else. As everyone else has said, it's quite normal to have irregularities but best to get checked and make sure everything's ok. Fingers crossed it's all fine :)

Take care
    - Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Thanks @Lucy307
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @pumpkinpie

It's so great to hear how everything is going with your counselling! :)

Also really well done for seeing your GP, it's not an easy thing to do at all. Sometimes it can feel like you might be wasting their time, but remember they are there to help you with anything that you might be worried about. It's really great that you talked to your mum and friend about it too. It sounds like they've been really supportive. How are you feeling about your blood test results?

All the best,

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    Hi and thanks @Aife,

It’s not so much the results I’m nervous about, it’s the actual test since I don’t like needles but the doctor prescribed numbing cream so it should be fine. Hopefully the results come back normal!

Pumpkin
    Hey @pumpkinpie

Aw yeah blood tests can be scary, that's nice of the doctor to prescribe you numbing cream. That should help :)

Will your mum be coming with you when you have the test? Hopefully she can distract you while it's happening so you don't notice it :)

Wishing you all the best with your results.

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    Hi @Aife,

I’m just going to go alone, I’ll just get the doctor to distract me. I’ve been going alone to all appointments I’ve had recently so I should be fine.

Pumpkin
    Hey @pumpkinpie,
    I'm going to have blood test for the first time too and I'm afraid of needles as well as you. I am seriously considering the idea of taking an object with me, in order to hold and squeeze it if I'm feeling nervous.
    Definitely, making your doctor talk to you to distract you would be a really good idea.

Fingers crossed for your exams :rainbow:

- Fran
    Hi @Fran,

Thanks for the moral support, hope you get on fine with your blood test. I think they ask you to make a tight fist anyway to make the veins appear so maybe a stress ball would help if you wanted something to physically squeeze? I reckon my doctor understands how I feel since they confessed to me last week that they don’t like needles either.

If you have exams too then best of luck :)

Pumpkin
    Hi all,

Just to say I had my blood test done this morning, went fine even though the numbing cream kept seeping out of the dressings on my arms. Will get results sometime next week.

Pumpkin
  • RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Hi,

Glad that all the blood tests were ok and that everything went fine and I hope that the results are all good.

Good
    Rayofhope
    Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
    Thanks @Rayofhope
    pumpkinpie wrote: »
    Hi @Fran,

Thanks for the moral support, hope you get on fine with your blood test. I think they ask you to make a tight fist anyway to make the veins appear so maybe a stress ball would help if you wanted something to physically squeeze? I reckon my doctor understands how I feel since they confessed to me last week that they don&#146;t like needles either.

If you have exams too then best of luck :)

Pumpkin

Thank you @pumpkinpie, it's so nice of you!!
    I agree with you about the stress ball!
    keep us updated about the results of your blood test!

:rainbow2:

- Fran
    No problem @Fran, hope your blood test goes well and the stress ball works for you, it’ll probably be midweek before I get my results since I’m away tomorrow and Tuesday and my GP surgery will be closed tomorrow anyway.

Pumpkin
    Best of luck with your results @pumpkinpie, glad to hear the test itself went okay.

Let us know how you get on, hope you're having a nice few days away :)

All the best,

- Aife
    Thanks @Aife
    Hi all,

Just to say I got my blood test results this morning, they’re all normal so the doctor is putting the problem down to stress (largely exam-related) and my weight, since they weighed me when I went for my test and said I was slightly underweight. They said hopefully in due course my periods should start up again (which they actually have.)

@Fran have you had your blood test yet? If you have, how did it go?

Pumpkin
    Hey @pumpkinpie!! That's a really great news! I am glad that everything is ok and that your period have started up again!!
    Unluckily I still have to have my blood test because I have had a really busy couple of weeks and I have also had some kind of flu, so I decided to wait and to have it this week! Thanks for asking, it's so nice of you :wave:

- Fran
    Hi @Fran and thanks,

Hope you’re feeling better now and best of luck with your blood test!

Pumpkin
    I am glad everything is okay @pumpkinpie !
    Take care 😊