Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Volunterring in a school.

Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
Hello,

So I am a first year uni student, doing a 'children's course'.. I recently applied for a voluntary work positon (once full day a week) in a school. I have got a 'meeting' about it next Friday.- It is a group one- ie: with other potential volunteers. I am excited to do the thing, I think it will give me drive and confidence and hope - if it all goes well. But at the same time my anxiety is high!- It's a school I barely know, so don't know the students, teachers etc... I don't even know exactly where it is, I know preety much roughly where it is, what road, where the road is but I never seen the school before if that makes snese.

Any help??

Comments

• MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Your offering to volunteer helping at a school is commendable, @Invisible_me but it is only natural to feel anxious, because nobody likes interviews. Still, you will be attending with a bunch of other volunteers so you won't be the only one. Good luck with your meeting next Friday and let us know how you got on. :thumb:

Wishing you all the best,

-Belle
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    Mirabelle wrote: »
    Your offering to volunteer helping at a school is commendable, @Invisible_me but it is only natural to feel anxious, because nobody likes interviews. Still, you will be attending with a bunch of other volunteers so you won't be the only one. Good luck with your meeting next Friday and let us know how you got on. :thumb:

-Belle
    Hi Bellle

Thanks for your reply. Oh ... :).... I guess your right it is somewhat natural but I do also actually suffer ffrom anxiety and I just hope it doesn't pass that boundry.
    Invisible_me
    Hi Bellle

Thanks for your reply. Oh ... :).... I guess your right it is somewhat natural but I do also actually suffer ffrom anxiety and I just hope it doesn't pass that boundry.
    Invisible_me

Before your meeting, find somewhere comfortable and take some deep breaths. This is what I do before going onstage before a crowd.

I take a long, slow breath in through my nose, first filling my lower lungs, then my upper lungs.
    I hold my breath and slowly count 1-2-3.
    Then I exhale slowly through pursed lips, while slackening my shoulders to relax them.

Controlling your breathing this way helps bring anxiety right down! :thumb:

Before your meeting, find somewhere comfortable and take some deep breaths. This is what I do before going onstage before a crowd.

I take a long, slow breath in through my nose, first filling my lower lungs, then my upper lungs.
    I hold my breath and slowly count 1-2-3.
    Then I exhale slowly through pursed lips, while slackening my shoulders to relax them.

Controlling your breathing this way helps bring anxiety right down! :thumb:

​Hi..

​Your breathing technique seems really helpful - It was given to me before by others as well. I think if done correctly it can help -but not always the case in a panic. Thanks! Well see what happens?

​Invisible_me

​Hi..

​Your breathing technique seems really helpful - It was given to me before by others as well. I think if done correctly it can help -but not always the case in a panic. Thanks! Well see what happens?

​Invisible_me

Just a few 'breathings' will definitely help lower your anxiety. Imagine my walking onto a stage below which have been a mass of audience, some concerts up to 5,000 or more in Spain - so this is precisely why during past concerts this breathing exercise has made so much difference - and also to my band members. The difference though, has been our professional training. Nonetheless, whether a performing artist or a prospective employee/volunteer, so the same levels of anxiety apply. There are plenty of very good breathing techniques on Google including a technique where you either sit, or lie down. If I can find some more techniques later, I will post them here for you as it's very late right now.

Good luck on Friday! :thumb:

~Belle
    Hey @Invisible_me

As I'll be abroad tomorrow on music business, here is my technique for relaxation.

This is a relaxation technique that I use when stressed. I particularly like the colour green; it helps relax me.

Choose a word or a phase. Example: Lake; Sea; River; Blue sky; Green fields as far as the eye can see; Twilight.

Sit quietly in a relaxing and comfortable position, close your eyes and relax your muscles. Breath slowly, repeating your focus word(s) in your mind as you exhale. If everyday thoughts intrude, let them go and return and continue this for ten to twenty minutes.

During this time ,adopt the breathing technique I shared with you earlier. I hope all this be helpful to you. :)

~ Belle

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Heya @Invisible_me,

Just dropping in to echo what Belle said - let us know how you get on next Friday. :yes:

Have you considered talking to the person running the meeting, just to let them know you're feeling pretty nervous about it? Chances are they want you to feel as comfortable as possible, and will want to do what they can to settle any worries you have. And I know for me personally, I tend to relax a bit more if I know what to expect. Even if that's just knowing how many will be there, who's going to be at the reception desk, who the interviewers will be. Or like you said, just asking where the place is and feeling confident in where to go.

It's easy for our minds to race when there are a lot of unknowns, and there's no harm in trying to clear some of those up and shed some light on things. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey @Invisible_me

It is great youre still going despite having anxiety. is how you will improve on your anixtey! so well done, Can take so much corauge but pushing ourselves to go a lil outa comfort zone will widen it. Dont have much advice but think what Mike said is good idea.

I hope Friday goes as well as it can

All the best and take care!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi invisible_me,

I'd be more surprised if you weren't a little worried! I think that being in a new setting can be daunting, but remember that it's a door to a new experience, a new chapter of life. A little anxiety upfront is a small price to pay for a new world to explore - once you've taken the first difficult step, you'll find the next steps much easier!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • FranFran Posts: 118 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Invisible_me, it's so nice of yours to start this kind of activity!
    Some anxiety must be the price to pay for new challenging experiences, but you could consider it as a trigger to do your best. I know what anxiety means and how challenging it can be, but I recognize that sometimes anxiety makes me do my best, so maybe you could start considering anxiety as a " temporary friend" instead of an an enemy.
    The relaxation technique that Mirabelle suggested must be awesome, so this could really be helpful for you!
    Good luck for your interview and, if you want, let us know how it goes :rainbow:

- Fran
    Hey @Invisible_me

As I'll be abroad tomorrow on music business, here is my technique for relaxation.

This is a relaxation technique that I use when stressed. I particularly like the colour green; it helps relax me.

Choose a word or a phase. Example: Lake; Sea; River; Blue sky; Green fields as far as the eye can see; Twilight.

Sit quietly in a relaxing and comfortable position, close your eyes and relax your muscles. Breath slowly, repeating your focus word(s) in your mind as you exhale. If everyday thoughts intrude, let them go and return and continue this for ten to twenty minutes.

During this time ,adopt the breathing technique I shared with you earlier. I hope all this be helpful to you. :)

~ Belle

Hi there Belle

Thank you for your lovely tips! - It seems useful. I'll give it a practice trail before the meeting this Friday. Bless you, for sending that late on Thursday because you thought it was the day after. Bless. Sorry! :(

Mike wrote: »
    Heya @Invisible_me,

Just dropping in to echo what Belle said - let us know how you get on next Friday. :yes:

Have you considered talking to the person running the meeting, just to let them know you're feeling pretty nervous about it? Chances are they want you to feel as comfortable as possible, and will want to do what they can to settle any worries you have. And I know for me personally, I tend to relax a bit more if I know what to expect. Even if that's just knowing how many will be there, who's going to be at the reception desk, who the interviewers will be. Or like you said, just asking where the place is and feeling confident in where to go.

It's easy for our minds to race when there are a lot of unknowns, and there's no harm in trying to clear some of those up and shed some light on things. :)

Hi Mike.

Your very right in what you have said- Yes, If I have a lot of unknowns it makes me anxious. I would like to clear those things up eg: how many people there, where (I'm guessing it's sign in at reception, and I've google mapped the things so I know where things are, ad recognise it when I get there (eg: got a picture painted). I'm however scared to ask in case it's like " if your that anxious, then why did you apply, or how will you cope" - does that make sense? And also because if you are volunteer then they don't have to accomadate you?

I think though, it's about 5-6 people from what she mentioned in her email. I know the name of the person, and I think I've put a 'rough face' to the name as well (by google wooops..._

Thank you
    Invisible_me
    Shaunie wrote: »
    Hey @Invisible_me

It is great youre still going despite having anxiety. is how you will improve on your anixtey! so well done, Can take so much corauge but pushing ourselves to go a lil outa comfort zone will widen it. Dont have much advice but think what Mike said is good idea.

I hope Friday goes as well as it can

All the best and take care!

Thank you!- I hope it goes well as well. I think it will be a good anxiety tester in something I want to do.

Thanks
    Inviisble_me
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hi invisible_me,

I'd be more surprised if you weren't a little worried! I think that being in a new setting can be daunting, but remember that it's a door to a new experience, a new chapter of life. A little anxiety upfront is a small price to pay for a new world to explore - once you've taken the first difficult step, you'll find the next steps much easier!x

Much love <3

So true Azziman. It is a new opportunity-both scary but exciting! And anxiety is somewhat normal, just got to hope it doesn't pass the boundry. So true as well, first step is hard but gets easier.

Thanks,
    Invisible_me
    Fran wrote: »
    Hey @Invisible_me, it's so nice of yours to start this kind of activity!
    Some anxiety must be the price to pay for new challenging experiences, but you could consider it as a trigger to do your best. I know what anxiety means and how challenging it can be, but I recognize that sometimes anxiety makes me do my best, so maybe you could start considering anxiety as a " temporary friend" instead of an an enemy.
    The relaxation technique that Mirabelle suggested must be awesome, so this could really be helpful for you!
    Good luck for your interview and, if you want, let us know how it goes :rainbow:

- Fran

HI Fran,
    Thanks for message.

Hopefully, if I get it? It will be a new opportunity and very useful. Yes challenging as well. I think anxiety at small can give you that drive, but anymore it can start to hinder. It's all hope that it doesn't pass the boundary. I guess anxiety can't always be an enemy.

Thanks
    Invisible_me

Hi there Belle

Thank you for your lovely tips! - It seems useful. I'll give it a practice trail before the meeting this Friday. Bless you, for sending that late on Thursday because you thought it was the day after. Bless. Sorry! :(

It's not a prob, @Invisible_me just wish I'd posted earlier, thats all. There is a more comprehensive breathing technique that I use and taught my sister, so I might be able to post it here tomorrow on your thread - then you can copy it. I'll be remembering you. :)
  • FeatheredDreamsFeatheredDreams Posts: 91 Budding Regular
    Hey there! Congrats on doing this, volunteering can be scary but you'll likely find it fun after a session or two and you know what you're doing!

I've done volunteer work in schools too, though I wouldn't be sure it's anything similar to what you're doing. But schools are generally pretty nice about volunteers! So long as you have a DBS check anyway lol (and i kind of assume you do if you're working with children?).

In general, they're VERY protective of their students even if you do have a dbs (and thus can legally be alone with kids in schools) and I doubt they'll let you go anywhere alone until you get to know the staff, that means you'll likely get a guide once you find reception anyway- especially if they know you haven't been to the school before cus we all get lost.

Remember that the school is also looking for volunteers - they WANT to keep you. Just as people want jobs, employers have to make their jobs want-able, like i said schools are usually pretty nice about volunteers and they'll likely want to do anything they can to reduce your anxiety. I've been asked in schools before about not only the behaviour of students, but things like how nice the reception staff and teachers were, and if theres anything they can do to improve their service...they want to be as welcoming and make it as easy for you to work there as they can if they're a decent school.

It's not a prob, @Invisible_me just wish I'd posted earlier, thats all. There is a more comprehensive breathing technique that I use and taught my sister, so I might be able to post it here tomorrow on your thread - then you can copy it. I'll be remembering you. :)

Thank you! :)
    Hey there! Congrats on doing this, volunteering can be scary but you'll likely find it fun after a session or two and you know what you're doing!

I've done volunteer work in schools too, though I wouldn't be sure it's anything similar to what you're doing. But schools are generally pretty nice about volunteers! So long as you have a DBS check anyway lol (and i kind of assume you do if you're working with children?).

In general, they're VERY protective of their students even if you do have a dbs (and thus can legally be alone with kids in schools) and I doubt they'll let you go anywhere alone until you get to know the staff, that means you'll likely get a guide once you find reception anyway- especially if they know you haven't been to the school before cus we all get lost.

Remember that the school is also looking for volunteers - they WANT to keep you. Just as people want jobs, employers have to make their jobs want-able, like i said schools are usually pretty nice about volunteers and they'll likely want to do anything they can to reduce your anxiety. I've been asked in schools before about not only the behaviour of students, but things like how nice the reception staff and teachers were, and if theres anything they can do to improve their service...they want to be as welcoming and make it as easy for you to work there as they can if they're a decent school.

Hey there,

THank you :) I am also hoping that again if I get it then I should enjoy it once I know what things are like and more comfortable.

Yes, I do have a DBS, they have a policy and outline a few things on there...

I guess so, yeah, they would want volunteers especially if they have a special section for volunteers and actively seek out for them.

Thanks
    Unknown2
    Hi Everyone...

You've all been really good at praising me for what I have done and tips on dealing with anxiety. But within this I think I need to focus on getting through Friday...

Any ideas on what they might say, possible answers, and how to portray myself as confident.

Thanks everyone! :)
    Unknown2
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @Invisible_me

How did your interview go? It's been a few weeks since you last posted in here so I hope it went well! Hopefully all the questions were okay and not too difficult :)

All the best,

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    Hi there,

Sorry for not posting- things have been preety hectic.,

Thanks for asking?- That's really kind. The interview wasn't even an interview- it was very informal. I got the place, got through my DBS and that, now I think it's just about them sorting out a place for me. I did email her last week but I imagine she'll get back to me in the hols as that is when she got back to me on my application.- fingers ccrossed! Waiting for a respose is nerve-racking. Hope it all goes well x

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @Invisible_me

Aw that's amazing you got the place! Congratulations! That's great that the interview was informal, this can make things feel so much more relaxed!

I hope she replies back to you soon so you can find out about your place! It can be nerve-racking waiting to hear back. What are you feeling most nervous about?

All the best,

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    Hey @Invisible_me Sorry, but I completely forgot to return to you with those comprehensive breathing techniques. Print them off if you like, it's not copyrighted or anything. :)

The deep breathing technique: You can either do this standing up or lying down, just ensure you have a straight back. Firstly, breath in through your nose slowly, filling up your body from the bottom of your stomach upwards. Before letting the air out, hold it for a second or two, then exhale. Repeating this method was a big success for me, it helped me cope with stressful situations like exams, coursework, and allowed me more space to think.

Pros:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] This method can be done anywhere, whether it be before an exam, during work, at an interview for a job, any stressful moment you can think of.

[FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] Not only does it cope with stress, it can also help calm down from panic attacks, anxiety, depression, anger. This will most likely be the same for all relaxation methods, however.

Cons:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]* [/FONT]Overdoing this method could lead to dizzyness. If you find this, take it more slowly, you are going to fast. If you're still feeling dizzy after taking it as slow as you can, I would advise not carrying on with this method.

The second relaxation technique is takes advantage of your imagination. If you have the time, you can imagine yourself in your favourite, most relaxing place you can think of. This could be anywhere, as long as it is relaxing.

I like to think I am in a cottage on top of a hill, around me are the most beautiful surroundings I have ever seen. Outside I can here the sound of chirping birds, the wind blowing against the trees, the sound of crickets in the tall grass. The day is very bright but extremely cold, the sun is beaming down onto the hill illuminating my wooden cottage perched atop the hill. I am inside, staring outside the window watching the world go by. In the distance I can see the sea. I am breathing deeply, savouring the fresh country air, such a wonderful smell it is. You can imagine your own place, eg. if you find snow relaxing, use snow as your main theme.

Pros:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] This method is an exceptional way of putting yourself into a relaxed state.
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] You can attempt to stay in this scene throughout the day, imagining your surroundings are your scene. This may be, however, quite distracting.

Cons:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] Doing this during a meeting or at work may be troublesome and waste time. It is probably best to do it during breaks or before the meeting itself.

In closing I'll leave you with some lovely contemplative music by Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight

~Belle

Aife wrote: »
    Hey @Invisible_me

Aw that's amazing you got the place! Congratulations! That's great that the interview was informal, this can make things feel so much more relaxed!

I hope she replies back to you soon so you can find out about your place! It can be nerve-racking waiting to hear back. What are you feeling most nervous about?

All the best,

- Aife

Thank you! :)

I think its just general. Like I want to know. Also, I would like to start sooner (ie: after easter) because I'm hoping that then it will make me feel more positive about myself, and make things better for me at uni- might also come in useful for my assignment... anyway...
    Hey @Invisible_me Sorry, but I completely forgot to return to you with those comprehensive breathing techniques. Print them off if you like, it's not copyrighted or anything. :)

The deep breathing technique: You can either do this standing up or lying down, just ensure you have a straight back. Firstly, breath in through your nose slowly, filling up your body from the bottom of your stomach upwards. Before letting the air out, hold it for a second or two, then exhale. Repeating this method was a big success for me, it helped me cope with stressful situations like exams, coursework, and allowed me more space to think.

Pros:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] This method can be done anywhere, whether it be before an exam, during work, at an interview for a job, any stressful moment you can think of.

[FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] Not only does it cope with stress, it can also help calm down from panic attacks, anxiety, depression, anger. This will most likely be the same for all relaxation methods, however.

Cons:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]* [/FONT]Overdoing this method could lead to dizzyness. If you find this, take it more slowly, you are going to fast. If you're still feeling dizzy after taking it as slow as you can, I would advise not carrying on with this method.

The second relaxation technique is takes advantage of your imagination. If you have the time, you can imagine yourself in your favourite, most relaxing place you can think of. This could be anywhere, as long as it is relaxing.

I like to think I am in a cottage on top of a hill, around me are the most beautiful surroundings I have ever seen. Outside I can here the sound of chirping birds, the wind blowing against the trees, the sound of crickets in the tall grass. The day is very bright but extremely cold, the sun is beaming down onto the hill illuminating my wooden cottage perched atop the hill. I am inside, staring outside the window watching the world go by. In the distance I can see the sea. I am breathing deeply, savouring the fresh country air, such a wonderful smell it is. You can imagine your own place, eg. if you find snow relaxing, use snow as your main theme.

Pros:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] This method is an exceptional way of putting yourself into a relaxed state.
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] You can attempt to stay in this scene throughout the day, imagining your surroundings are your scene. This may be, however, quite distracting.

Cons:
    [FONT=times\ new\ roman]*[/FONT] Doing this during a meeting or at work may be troublesome and waste time. It is probably best to do it during breaks or before the meeting itself.

In closing I'll leave you with some lovely contemplative music by Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight

~Belle

Hey Belle,

Thank you for that...It seems very useful. I'll certainly try and print it off or something- for when I need it!

As said in prev. pots, I have got the place just awaiting a place etc..

Thanks
    Invisible_me
    Hi All,

Just to let you know, that I have heard back etc... and I will be starting my Voluntary work in the school on this coming Tuesday. Excited, but nervous- with reception- nice unique opportunity.

Thanks all.
    In_me
    Hi All,

Just to let you know, that I have heard back etc... and I will be starting my Voluntary work in the school on this coming Tuesday. Excited, but nervous- with reception- nice unique opportunity.

Thanks all.
    In_me

Congratulations, and after such a long time waiting. I am so happy for you! :wave:
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi All,

Thanks all.
    In_me

Hi Invisible_me,

Congratulations - I'm sure you'll do really well! Let us know how it goes!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hi All,

Thanks all.
    In_me

Well done!! Hope all goes okay. Let us know how get on if you’d like?All the best!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley