Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression

This is my first time writing on a forum but recently i just feel so depressed. I feel so much stress with college and i get thoughts in my head and i don't know how to shut them out i want to tell people about it but i feel like it will just hurt them i don't know what to do about it.

Comments

• Options
    DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Knight2000,

Welcome to the boards firstly! You should be really proud of yourself for coming on here and sharing how you feel as this can often be difficult to do so well done! It's completely normal to feel the stress particularly in college and you're definitely not the only one struggling with this, so please don't feel alone! However, your health and wellbeing should always come first! Have you tried maybe taking a few days out to do something you really enjoy, like spending time with friends, watching a movie, eating some good food, taking part in an activity or a sport, just so you don't fee too bogged down by college work!

It's also completely normal to be in a rut about telling people, however there is no reason for you sharing your feelings to hurt anyone, because if anyone is struggling, it is you, and you should be able to talk about your feelings! However, we are always here for you, and in case you haven't noticed, you have told someone about it... us! We are here to talk to you and to give you advice! Have you thought about speaking to a counsellor perhaps? It's understandable if you may not feel comfortable just yet, but if this is the case, there are many places to e-mail, chat to online, or call to ask for guidance and help. Because at The Mix we aren't experts, we cannot give expert advice however there are plenty of places (which we'll link) which you can go over to talk to to get more professional advice!

Here are the links:
    - https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/
    - https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

We hope your day gets better and please don't hesitate to keep speaking to us! That's what we're here for! Have a lovely day and look forward to speaking to you soon!

Drea:heart:
  • Options
    Knight2000Knight2000 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thank you.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,496 Skive's The Limit
    Welcome to the boards.
    Sorry youre feeling so depressed. But you dont need to keep it to yourself. There are many people who are willing to listen & youre not alone!

Take care of yourself
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    nish215nish215 Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hi Knight2000,

I'm sorry you're feeling like this right now but it's important to remember you're not alone in feeling this way, especially about college, many people are often in the same boat. Have you tried talking to your friends about it? Maybe you can ask them how they deal with the stress of college?

Our mental health is something we should all try and take care of, if you feel like you need to talk to someone, you can try to talk to your friends or family, or maybe even a counsellor at college, would that be an option? Your feelings and emotions are always valid!

-Nish
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hi Knight2000,

Welcome!x

Sorry to hear how you feel. It sounds like you really want to tell someone, but don't feel you have an outlet. Many colleges have a counselling service - I'd really recommend seeing a counsellor, as that can really help! Or you could talk to CAMHS ( I presume you are young enough to use this, since you mention you are at college) - they are very helpful too! You're not alone in this!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    FranFran Posts: 118 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Knight2000 :wave:
    Welcome and good job for posting your thoughts!!
    When you feel really stressed and overwhelmed by a challenging period it's really important to talk, because keeping everything to yourself wouldn't help you change your feelings, so writing here was absolutely the right thing.
    I understand what you mean when you say that you are afraid that your family could suffer and that you don't want to cause them any worry.
    I have just lived some challenging moments because of university, I felt really as you are now and I didn't want to talk to my family because I was afraid they might be disappointed or worry way to much. I considered - and still am - starting therapy because I believe that an external opinion could be the best one when you just want to express your feelings and thoughts without restraints. In the end I decided to talk to my parents because they realized I wasn't okay and they were suffering because they were feeling useless and you know what? it helped me a lot, because as they are my parents they know me better than anyone else and can also understand my struggles better than anyone else! I am telling you this for two reasons, first I want you to know that you are not alone and that it is really common to feel this way during college/university and secondly because I hope it can help you consider different perspectives, such as asking your gp for advice about counseling or therapy, talking to a friend or partner (my boyfriend and bestfriends really helped me, too) and, in the end, also talking to your family because parents notice everything and helping makes them feel way better than just noticing and not being able to.
    I really hope you can feel better and you can sort everything out :rainbow2::heart:

- Fran
  • Options
    nish215nish215 Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hey Knight2000,

How are you feeling right now? How is everything at college? Keep us updated :)

-Nish