Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drepressive cycle

Pink+fluffyPink+fluffy Posts: 84 Budding Regular
Does anyone else just think that depression is a cycle. For me I feel crap if I haven’t done anything and it just makes me worse and then I don’t want to do anything else so I hate myself and my body. When I do, do something it makes these thoughts even worse, like why is my brain like this, why can’t it just be normal??

Comments

• MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Hello @Pink+fluffy and welcome back to the forum. :)

According to the UK governement's National Institute of Mental Healh, depression is defined either as a 'major depressive disorder' or classified as 'clinical depression', but as to whether it comes in cycles, only a healthcare professional such as a doctor could give you a straightforward answer.

Reference: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml

Are you registered with a GP in your area? If not, then I urge you to because only then will you be able to get some knowledge of your condition. It is unwise to self-diagnose, incidentally.

All the best,

Belle
  • Pink+fluffyPink+fluffy Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    Hi I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder last year, I’ve been taking meds ever since and I’ve been hospitalised too. I’m with a CAMHS team and have been for two years. I’m also autistic which I only found out whilst hospitalised. It really is just really crap, thanks for all of your help belle xx
    Hiii! :)

I'm so glad you're with a CAMHS team. Are you finding them helpful?
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Is a horrible cycle:(

Maybe focus more on the achievements of when you do something and is something to be happy for even just a small thing. Cause can take alot of effort.

Glad youre receiving help

Take care xx
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Do you do self-care @Pink+fluffy ? Examples: resting, reading, exercising - going out for walkies when the weather is nice; taking a lovely warm bath with tea light candles; listen to music, but being choosy what genre, because you don't want to hit a downer listening to depressing songs. Do you write a To Do list, even? Such a list can be set 1 to 10 giving yourself small targets graduating to bigger ones? I do for all those listed and look out for my sister Mandy, making sure she's good.

Here is a very useful guide for self-help: http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/a-guide-to-self-care-15574.html

Best,

~ Belle
    Thanks shaunie xx
    Belle my team are doing there best but they don’t really understand my autism. I have tried self care but some days I have no motivation whatsoever and I don’t want to do a single thing xx 😩🙄
    It must be so difficult for you at times, but I do understand how hard it must be to drum up the motivation. That is a very sweet avatar you have there, by the way. love it.

Nighty night, and I hope you have a better day tomorrow. :)

Belle xx
    Thank you belle, it’s me and my sister last year. I hope you’re doing ok too, have a good day xx
    Just love those glasses! :thumb:
    Thanks, I still have them now, wear them everyday or I can’t see properly 😂❤️
    I have a comfy pair of reading glasses, also Polaroids to take the glare off during sunny weather. We have to look after our eyes.

What are you going to do to help you through the day? I was planning on fishing, but the weather is horrible so I've found a super book.
    Well I was going to be having my psychotherapy weekly appointment today but I’m ill so I’m not going, so I’ll probably just sleep xx
    Sleep and rest is by far the best for us when we're feeling low, or even when we're needing to recharge. Then such appointments can be more helpful to us later when we're feeling better.

I've got a pint of tea. lol.
  • RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Hi Pink and fluffy

I am sorry to here your feeling ill i hope you begin to be able to feel better soon, sleep is a good idea to help feel better. As Shaunie has mentioned it can be important to focus on other things, do you have anything which you are able to do which makes you feel better?

How you feeling today?

Rayofhope:rainbow2:
    Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
    You inspired me to get some tea Belle , now drinking it and reading a book 👌🏻
    Hi ray of hope,
    When I feel down sometimes I colour and listen to music xx
  • RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Colouring and listening to music can be great methods to distract ourselves from everything which is happening. Do you feel that these work to distract you?
    Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
    You inspired me to get some tea Belle, now drinking it and reading a book 👌🏻

I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's Tudors (II) which is part of my coursework my badass aunt served me this morning, but I love colouring-in books which I'll be doing tonight with my sis Mandy. Colouring is so relaxing, isn't it? :)

We must drink tea by the gallon here. Did a curry earlier, though. Are you into Indian grub? :yum:
    They can help sometimes ray of hope, but I usually find distraction to be something that doesn’t help xx
    Sounds like quite a good book actually belle, yeah I do colouring mainly when I need to get away from people.
    I’m don’t actualllu like Indian food I’m not very good with spice either so that doesn’t help xx 🙃
    Well, maybe some of my recently posted recipes in Travel & Free Time might excite your tastebuds, and I'm hoping to start a new thread on St Valentines' munchies.

I completely understand your need to get away from people. We need time away mostly to unwind and making plans for quality time, especially as we can lead such busy lives. I love lonely places and one such area is when fishing on the beach. It doesn't matter if I don't catch anything. Tucked up in my bivvy tent with my big warmy doggy snuggled up and a good book, and I'm as happy as Larry.

This afternoon I've been rehearsing for a concert next week, so by now I've had more than my share of music!