Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

ESA/JSA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is the difference between ESA and JSA?

Comments

• MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    I asked my partner Jules (Princesa) and she said JSA you have to be actively seeking work. It stands for Job Seeker's Allowance.

About ESA. This is a work-related activity group for people who the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) who deem will be capable of work at some time in the future and who are considered capable of taking steps towards moving into work.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    What is the difference between ESA and JSA?
    JSA is jobseekers allowance and is for people for who are looking for work currently. You usually have to sign on at the job centre for this.
    ESA is for people who are deemed not well enough to work, it is like a sickness benefit. You are either in the WRAG group where you still might see an advisor an they think you could look for work in the near future, or you are in the support group where you dont have to attend the job centre or do anything you just get your money.
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mirabelle wrote: »
    I asked my partner Jules (Princesa) and she said JSA you have to be actively seeking work. It stands for Job Seeker's Allowance.

About ESA. This is a work-related activity group for people who the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) who deem will be capable of work at some time in the future and who are considered capable of taking steps towards moving into work.

But can you still be job searching while on ESA?
    JSA is jobseekers allowance and is for people for who are looking for work currently. You usually have to sign on at the job centre for this.
    ESA is for people who are deemed not well enough to work, it is like a sickness benefit. You are either in the WRAG group where you still might see an advisor an they think you could look for work in the near future, or you are in the support group where you dont have to attend the job centre or do anything you just get your money.

I work 5 hours a week, just one hour a morning. I'm not sure ESA would suit me due to this but I need help😞

But can you still be job searching while on ESA?

I had to ask mum on this. She found this.

Permitted Work (Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)) The general rule is that you can't work while claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (or the incapacity benefits ESA replaces). However, there are exceptions and some kinds of 'permitted work' that are allowed.

Website: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Employment-and-Support-Allowance-Permitted-Work/What-is-permitted-work-(Employment-and-Support-All

Hope that helps.
    I'll take a look at that link, thank you.

Our system is a joke a lot of the time.
    I'll take a look at that link, thank you.

Our system is a joke a lot of the time.

It's bureaucracy at it worst, but we found a joke about it.

A candidate goes in for a job interview and sits down with the Human Resources talent acquisition and psychometric testing director, who asks: ‘What do you think is your worst quality?’ The applicant says: ‘I’m probably too honest’. The HR director says: ‘That’s not a bad thing, I think being honest is a good quality’. The candidate replies, candidly: ‘I don’t care about what you think’.

- Rodney Marks: corporate comedian
    That made me smile :)
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    (Was originally meant to be quick post but kinda got a bit long, sorry about that)
    The Gov's website on types of ESA and eligibility can be helpful (https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/types-of-esa)

Generally speaking, if your trying to get a job but need money then JSA is typically what everyone gets and from my understand is quite easy to apply and get. (Going on experience of friends and family)

ESA, as others have said, is for people who, either for a short period or indefinitely, have been deemed unfit for work.

When I went through the process of applying for ESA I had to get a doctors note to say I wasn't able to work, originally that was for 6 month, but it has increased.

Things may have changed slightly, since Ive been on ESA since around 2014, but when applying I had to fill in and describe how my illness effects me, kinda like (if you have every applied) what PIP sends, just it wasn't as detailed.

Though do note, you can't get JSA if you're getting ESA and vice versa.

There is also a Work Capability Assessment most of the time done for ESA.

Heres a section of the site about claiming ESA while working
    Claiming ESA if you work

You might be able to work and still claim ESA. It depends on how much you’ll get paid and the hours you do.
    Permitted work

If you do ‘permitted work’ it won’t usually affect your ESA. It’s permitted work if both the following apply:
    • you earn up to £120 a week
    • you work less than 16 hours a week

There’s no limit on how many weeks your permitted work can last for.
    Supported permitted work

You can do ‘supported permitted work’ and earn up to £120 a week. Supported permitted work must be one of the following:
    • part of a treatment programme
    • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people

You also can't get ESA if you have savings over £6,000

Theres also a site for JSA (https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/how-to-claim)

Heres just a snipit of eligibility for JSA
    You may get Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) if the following apply:
    • you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17 - contact Jobcentre Plus for advice)
    • you’re under the State Pension age
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re in England, Scotland or Wales
    • you’re available for work
    • you’re actively seeking work
    • you work on average less than 16 hours per week
    • your partner, if you have one, works for less than 24 hours a week on average
    • you have signed an agreement to look for work (‘Claimant Commitment’)
    • you don’t have an illness or disability which stops you from working

Hopefully the links and information helps, and sorry again for a lengthy post.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch