Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Id when you are not allowed to drive

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
Hey guys so I wasn’t quite sure where to put this so I’ve put it here.

I’m epileptic and while I don’t pass out or fit with it. I sometimes feel confused so until I’m 12 months clear I will not be allowed to drive. So my problem now is getting proof of age!

I use a citizens id card at moment problem is not everyone excepts it. And carrying a passport can be quite risky.

So what are my options

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I'm too young to drive at the moment, but when I'm older will have a similar issue.

It is slightly different for us in Scotland as we have the Young Scot card up until the age of 25 which is a form of photo ID... and even at 15 I have had to use it (con of looking older is that bus drivers don't want to let you on for a lower price).

It might be worth giving it a google - pretty sure there's a similar card scheme in other places.

So frustrating isn't it!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Carrying a passport is risky because it could be lost unless it is well secured in your bag. Losing your passport could cause problems and you might have to pay for another. Not too sure about that, but it's worth asking. So keep your passport safely at home.

Proof of age? Go back to where you applied for you Citizen's ID Card I(below)

I'm unsure of what travel options you have left except you may be able to qualify for free travel, below.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/780_Free-Travel.aspx

Also because you have epilepsy, there are benefits to be had!

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/daily-life/benefits that could qualify you for a Free Bus Pass as shown below:

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/dai.../free-bus-pass Town busses are really quite nice! Seats are bum friendly, too. :rainbow2:

Otherwise you will have to wait for the 12 months to pass, so contact www.epilepsy.org and ask them if there any more options, okay? I'm sure the guys would be able to help you. They are only a phone call away - here is their Helpline: 0808 800 5050

Therefore your Citizen's ID should be more than sufficient. Here are reasons why as you said, "not everyone excepts it."

1. Your Citizens ID card would only be questioned if it is damaged (ie. the PASS hologram) is defaced.

2. The card showing your face is not a passport quality photograph. The size for this photo is 45 mm high and 35 mm wide as shown below.

https://www.citizencard.com/photo-guidance .

Now on this website below are ticked bullet points depicting what you can use your Citizen's Card for.

https://www.citizencard.com/what-is-a-citizencard

So phone the Epilepsy Helpline and go from there. Sorry I can't help you more.

Belle xx
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Thanks guys, they are just funny where I am apparently a lot of people are faking them so despite the fact mine is geunuin a lot of places don’t exept it. Not that there is anything wrong with it. My picture is fine its got the pass logo on and everything.

Thanks @Mirabelle I do already get free bus travel which comes in very handy

@Independant it is very frustrating I have the con of looking younger I get questioned a lot about my age lol.
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Thanks guys, they are just funny where I am apparently a lot of people are faking them so despite the fact mine is geunuin a lot of places don’t exept it. Not that there is anything wrong with it. My picture is fine its got the pass logo on and everything.

Thanks @Mirabelle I do already get free bus travel which comes in very handy

@Independant it is very frustrating I have the con of looking younger I get questioned a lot about my age lol.

Yes, I thought you would have a free bus travel @One-in-a-million but you said "So my problem now is getting proof of age!", and how you do that is either a photcopy of your Driver's licence and/or a photocopy of your Birth Certificate.

And then you should be alright. ;) :pancake flip:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey guys so I wasn’t quite sure where to put this so I’ve put it here.

I’m epileptic and while I don’t pass out or fit with it. I sometimes feel confused so until I’m 12 months clear I will not be allowed to drive. So my problem now is getting proof of age!

I use a citizens id card at moment problem is not everyone excepts it. And carrying a passport can be quite risky.

So what are my options

Is there a way that DVLA can help with this? I remember a family friend not being allowed to drive for 24 months+ but was still able to use a licence for the purpose of ID?