Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hello

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to write this and get this off my chest more than anything.

I've had a history of self harm and low moods but it's never been this severe.
I was under a considerable amount of stress a few months ago. I'm a student nurse and I'm very close to qualifying. I was finishing up my dissertation and I got stressed. But then I started having panic attacks and they are so physical it's ridiculous. I'm accepting that I'm having them, I'm not avoiding situations yet it keeps happening. Almost like clockwork every night with varying degrees of severity. It's either mild and lingering or a full blown attack where I feel like running away or to the point where I feel like I'm going to just breakdown completely. It feels like my brain can't cope with whats happening to it. I'm waiting till Monday to go back to the doctor. I was given propranolol to help with the physical side and it literally does nothing. I used to meditate and all it does it make me panic more.I'm sort of at the end of my ability to cope with it now. I just don't really understand why it's still happening. I've accepted what the problem is yet it's still affecting me

Comments

• Options
    AliceInWonderlandAliceInWonderland Posts: 18 Settling in
    Hi JamJar52,

Thank you for reaching out, it's really great that you're coming here for support. I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time, it sounds very stressful and scary.

It's great that you have an appointment in to go back to your doctor to see what they can do to help, hopefully together you can find something that is more effective for you. In the meantime, you might want to take a look at our article on panic attacks and how to deal with them http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/im-having-a-panic-attack-5819.html. There are also some expert chats and other articles around panic attacks that you can access if you search for this in our search box. It can be really helpful to see how others have dealt with this - you're not alone!

I hope that a combination of getting support here and working with your GP will help you get your attacks more under control. Keep us posted.

Sarah
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @JamJar52,

Thank you for sharing here, it sounds like you've been going through a really stressful time. How are you feeling now, how was the doctors appointment? Was that today? The article @AliceInWonderland shared above is really useful for understanding and dealing with panic attacks - hope this might have helped too? You're not alone in this *hug*

- Lucy :rainbow:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Thanks for the support. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow. The breathing does help but it's currently quite difficult for me to do it by myself and I usually need someone with me to help me through it. It's mainly because I get really sharp pains in my head and that just exacerbates the issue. Hopefully when I see the doctor tomorrow I can have something that'll calm me down
  • Options
    RachelRachel Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    Hi @JamJar52 ,

Thank you for sharing this, I want to begin with letting you know that I think you are so brave for reaching out on here and to your doctor for support as it can never be easy. I hope that your doctor's appointment was helpful and that they have perhaps been able to offer more advice or support.

I myself am in a very similar situation and cannot tell you how relatable your situation is. My advice would be to continue seeking support, but do your best not to become frustrated with yourself because although you can accept that it is happening it does not always resolve the situation straight away, and although this is a brilliant first step it may take some more time to move past this infuriating time and feel yourself again.

I would also advise talking to a close friend if you haven't already as having support closer to home is always needed and knowing that you have someone you can call or text if things are difficult has always been reassuring to me and most people always surprise you with how amazingly kind and patient they can be as they try to help and understand.

I also used to meditate which did help surrounding depression and sport related anxiety in the past but I too have found this too difficult in recent months as my mind always wanders to my anxiety. I actually picked up yoga at the beginning of last year though, and although I stopped for a while, I recently picked it up again as an alternative to meditation. I no longer attend a yoga class but doing it in the comfort of my own home with some music to distract my mind has worked wonderfully so far, so perhaps if you could find a small amount of time in your no doubt incredibly busy day, you could try this?

I hope that this has been of some use and that you are well today,

Rachel xx
  • Options
    Hi Rachel, Thanks for writing such a nice response. I've managed to get myself booked in for some CBT to try and figure out why I'm having the panic attacks as so far I don't seem to have an obvious trigger. Just it'll suddenly appear. I've been finding meditation works but only when I'm not quite at the point of full panic, which again can be quite difficult to manage as it usually comes on so quickly. I already knew I wasn't alone but it's quite comforting to find that people do feel the same. I've been keeping a diary in the hopes I can eventually pinpoint the cause of my anxiety.

I have a few friends that suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and they've been really helpful. The attacks usually occur when I'm alone at night so hopefully I can slowly start to get myself into better place!