Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hobbies and interests

peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
Hi everyone :)

I personally really love anything artistic - from making art, to appreciating others' work - and learning new languages, but most the time I'm either focusing on school work and unwinding by watching my favourite Youtubers or TV shows/K-dramas, or blasting music and singing and dancing like a bit of an idiot!

What are your interests and hobbies? Can you balance these out with other aspects in your life?

I'm interested in hearing from you all!:p

-peachysoo

Comments

• starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
    This is such a good idea!!

My main hobby is sports. I train and compete in surf lifesaving where i managed to make the England/GB team 2 years now. I also compete in surfing which i absolutely love and have been doing since i was 4. Other sports i train in are swimming and athletics but i dont compete in these and use them as extra training for surf lifesaving (swimming is good as my sport is in the sea and athletics helps me with my sprinting and flags for Surf lifesaving). This means i am training most nights throughout the week and all weekend but i love it and it is part of my life so not sure if it is a hobby anymore, it started out as one...

When i am at home and not training. I love to read and watch films as well as bake things but i dont have much spare time so i dont bake often. I have slightly more time now i am on my gap year than when i was at school/college and so its easier to balance everything now and not get behind on anything ;)

Esme x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love collecting retro stuff such as enamelled red tin ware. I have a set of 70's tin mugs and cups, a coffee pot and teapot and various casserole and French ceramic pottery containers for pate, soups and winter stews.

As we live near the English coast my family love beachcombing. Important for envirionmental reasons we tidy the beach up of anything plastic that gets washed up, but take home any driftwood for our wood stove. Free wood means free heating! Music is more than hobby, it's a job but it still fascinates me to include in this marvellous topic. Thank you @peachysoo

Julie
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    My main hobby is swimming, but I also love music (listening to it, and playing the drums and singing).
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Jules helps me make wild bird feeders. Have to say my favourite bird is the starling. It's such a comical birdy. I have one which is very tame, it clicks and whistles and makes me laugh. Back in Majorca, I have a tame owl. It's a tall long eared owl which I have to wear gloves for its talons. It eats out of my hand. I give it bits of warmed up steak. Shh, don't tell Jules! ;)

My other interest is meteorology. I love thunderstorms but not if they're too close! Thats when they become very dangerous, specially the ones in Spain.

See https://www.lightningmaps.org/ Its URL is far too long to post here! It works loads better on Chrome. There are tools to use and sound if you want it. Watching lightnig strikes is fascinating especially when you can see the ever-widening shock wave as it comes closer.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    I absolutely love going on weekends away, which I've done mainly in the UK. I'd go so far as to say it's my number 1 interest... I love exploring and I always go with my partner to spend quality time with him. Nothing better for me than having a walk around a new area and staying in a nice cosy place, preferably with a log fire! We've stayed in some quirkly places like a Wigwam in Wales - well, that one twice, because it was my favourite! Because it can be expensive we try and do this for special occasions.

Day to day, I have quite standard interests... I like running, I ran the London Marathon last year and I love memes - I cry laughing at them. :d
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • RachelRachel Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    I love sport and fitness! I sadly was not blessed with any artistic talents, particularly in music, though I do like to make an attempt at drawing from time to time! :p

My passions lie in the sporting world, my main hobbies being track and field, netball, volleyball and horse riding, which paired with my insanity classes and spin classes always seem to balance out my life by providing an escape from the stresses of school. Watching a funny film or TV series is always great fun too, but it never beats sitting down with a good book and getting lost in it for hours!
    Rachel wrote: »
    I love sport and fitness! I sadly was not blessed with any artistic talents, particularly in music, though I do like to make an attempt at drawing from time to time! :p

My passions lie in the sporting world, my main hobbies being track and field, netball, volleyball and horse riding, which paired with my insanity classes and spin classes always seem to balance out my life by providing an escape from the stresses of school. Watching a funny film or TV series is always great fun too, but it never beats sitting down with a good book and getting lost in it for hours!

Rachel By the way, welcome to The Mix and our lovely forums. I hope you remain with us. :)

Have a happy holiday!

Belle
    Thank you so much @Mirabelle for the welcome, I hope you and everyone else has a great holiday too!

Rachel x
  • peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
    Thank you, @Esme17 !
    It's amazing that you've been doing something you love since you were so young, and it's so cool that you are in the England/GB team for surf lifesaving ! I'm so happy for you that you get to do something you love most the time, and that your hobby has become a part of your life :)
    I'm also very glad that your gap year is going well and allowing you to do things you love more easily!
    -peachysoo
    The retro stuff sounds really interesting and niche, @Princesa ! And the beachcombing must be lovely not only for you and your family, but also the environment! It actually sounds like something I'd want to help out with given the chance too; thank you for introducing me to it :D
    I'm so happy for you also that you get to do something you love as a job~
    -peachysoo
    @independent_ I also love listening to music and singing (though I can't exactly swim haha)! I wish I could play the drums since it sounds like something that is as fun to do as how great it sounds!
    -peachysoo
    I'm jealous @Mirabelle, the birds sound so cute !!
    Meteorology sounds super interesting, though I can understand why you wouldn't like the thunderstorms being too close - stay safe! And thank you for the link to seeing the lightning strikes~
    -peachysoo
    I agree, @Lucy307, weekends away, and trips in general, are always so fun, especially when you get to spend time with and create new memories with people you love! The wigwam in Wales must've been a really cool experience too!
    It's also really admirable how you ran the London Marathon; I'd get tired so easily :blush: and actually same about the memes, they can be a really good way to cheer up when you feel down as well :yes:
    -peachysoo
    Wow @peachysoo your drawings are incredible and your progress is amazing too! You’re probably right in that the arts are soemthing that can be developed, I’ve probably just been too lazy to ever try haha! But I too used to draw and recently got back into it so perhaps I’ll post a drawing or two at some point to see what people think...
    Wow @peachysoo your drawings are incredible, and how much you have progressed is amazing too! I actually used to draw too but only recently started drawing again so perhaps I’ll share one or two at some point and see what people think....
    Thank you so much @Mirabelle for the welcome, I hope you and everyone else has a great holiday too!

Rachel x

peachysoo Mummy is home for Christmas and I'm so happy! I should have added music to my interests. My sister Princesa has a band which I'm part o. We do concerts in Spain, Majorca, Amsterdam and recenty the UK. We don't want to be famous as it would affect our family, but we do well.

Happy Christmas!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    peachysoo wrote: »
    The retro stuff sounds really interesting and niche, @Princesa ! And the beachcombing must be lovely not only for you and your family, but also the environment! It actually sounds like something I'd want to help out with given the chance too; thank you for introducing me to it :D
    I'm so happy for you also that you get to do something you love as a job~
    -peachysoo

peachysoo :)

I love your enthusiasm for trying out new interests. That is how we broaden our horizons, also gaining life experience that we all need. Your drawings are very good, but practise is what is going make you find your unique style. This may take many hundreds if not thousands of hours, but it's the only way if you intend a career in fine art. Why don't you? You are obviously very talented, and I mean that. Recently I bought a pair of metal detectors Belle and I can start a new interest. A pair of headphones and a spade is all one needs. Who knows what we could find?

Mirabelle I'm so proud of her. :heart:
    Wow @peachysoo your drawings are incredible and your progress is amazing too! You’re probably right in that the arts are soemthing that can be developed, I’ve probably just been too lazy to ever try haha! But I too used to draw and recently got back into it so perhaps I’ll post a drawing or two at some point to see what people think...

Thank you so much @Rachel !:blush: Rather than laziness, maybe you were preoccupied developing other skills, and that's totally okay ^_^ :) And yeah! I look forward to seeing your art:)
    -peachysoo
    Mirabelle wrote: »

peachysoo Mummy is home for Christmas and I'm so happy! I should have added music to my interests. My sister Princesa has a band which I'm part o. We do concerts in Spain, Majorca, Amsterdam and recenty the UK. We don't want to be famous as it would affect our family, but we do well.

Happy Christmas!

​Hey @Mirabelle !! I'm so happy that you're able to celebrate Christmas with your mum! And wow! I didn't realise Princesa and yourself are sisters! :O
    It's so cool that she has a band, and even cooler that you're a part of it, and doing concerts in so many places! It must be amazing :d
    Happy New Year's Eve!

-peachysoo
    Princesa wrote: »

peachysoo :)

I love your enthusiasm for trying out new interests. That is how we broaden our horizons, also gaining life experience that we all need. Your drawings are very good, but practise is what is going make you find your unique style. This may take many hundreds if not thousands of hours, but it's the only way if you intend a career in fine art. Why don't you? You are obviously very talented, and I mean that. Recently I bought a pair of metal detectors Belle and I can start a new interest. A pair of headphones and a spade is all one needs. Who knows what we could find?

Mirabelle I'm so proud of her. :heart:

​Hey @Princesa :)

Thank you so much! In all honesty, art has only ever been a hobby and never been something I really thought about a career in much - I'm actually really interested in dermatology, so most of my time lately has been spent revising and getting relevant experience in hospitals! Having said that, I do hope to try continue with drawing and painting whenever I can, and your kind words really mean so much to me; you've made my day :heart: And it sounds really interesting and intriguing to wonder about what you could find :O

The musical background in your family sounds just as amazing as your current musical interests, with the band! It must've been pretty tough practising the piano, but totally worth it in the end! Your pride for your sister and the fact that you're in the same band is so cute to me, I love it:heart:

-peachysoo
    peachysoo wrote: »

​Hey @Mirabelle !! I'm so happy that you're able to celebrate Christmas with your mum! And wow! I didn't realise Princesa and yourself are sisters! :O
    It's so cool that she has a band, and even cooler that you're a part of it, and doing concerts in so many places! It must be amazing :d
    Happy New Year's Eve!

-peachysoo

Hey peachysoo :)

Thank you for saying so, but mummy died on Boxing Day. We did have a wonderful time before and many happy memories were made.

Happy new year! Stay warm.

All the best to you,

Belle