Home Help Desk Bugs and other issues
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.

spam on the website

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
this is not a complaint, but it's just something i want to bring up.

i think the level of spam on this website is extremely high.

when i logged in today, almost every thread at the top was some kind of advert.

i was wondering if you guys were aware, and if so what were you thinking of doing about it.

maybe ading a spam filter or something.

this is a great site, a very good one (probably the best layout of a site i've seen in a long time) i think it's just ashame that the spam is spoiling the experience for so many people.

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    It's a recent phenomenon. There used to only be rarely up until a few days ago.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont think so indrid, spammers like that have been happening for months! not just a few days. it is highly annoying.

i spoke to helen a couple of weeks ago and they are aware of it and are trying to do something about it :)
  • **helen****helen** Mod malarkist Posts: 9,235 Listening Ear
    :yes: we have all the usual spam prevention stuff in place - these are manual accounts with people working on comission to boost seo - very sucky :grump:

However, I have a master plan... more on it next week. :d
    Not 'that' much of a problem though, for us users. You see a spam reply, you report it. Nextin a mod signs in it's gone. Simples
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Not 'that' much of a problem though, for us users. You see a spam reply, you report it. Nextin a mod signs in it's gone. Simples

ii think its annoying cos sometimes i come on and think ooh lots of new posts to read when its realy just 3 new posts and 20 threads brought up with a spam post at the end, thank goodness you can see who last posted in the thread so you can usually tell if its spam.
    i dont think so indrid, spammers like that have been happening for months! not just a few days. it is highly annoying.

i spoke to helen a couple of weeks ago and they are aware of it and are trying to do something about it :)

that's good to hear. :heart:

i don't mind 1 or 2, but loads of pointless spam messages at once is a total ruin for the rest of us
    It reminds me of World of Warcraft. In the first year I played it, there was no spam at all. 18 months later, the mail box and chat channels were blighted by gold sellers. (people who ilegally sell in-game currency for real money).

Helen, can the bulletin board filter include blacklisted web addresses? So even when a manual account bypasses the CAPTCHA etc, the filter will smell a rat as soon as a blacklisted URL is picked up. A bit like a HOSTs file but for the bulletin board. I don't know if it exists though.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    I meant it's been so much in the last few days. Before that it seemed to be much fewer.
  • **helen****helen** Mod malarkist Posts: 9,235 Listening Ear
    Monserrat wrote: »
    It reminds me of World of Warcraft. In the first year I played it, there was no spam at all. 18 months later, the mail box and chat channels were blighted by gold sellers. (people who ilegally sell in-game currency for real money).

Helen, can the bulletin board filter include blacklisted web addresses? So even when a manual account bypasses the CAPTCHA etc, the filter will smell a rat as soon as a blacklisted URL is picked up. A bit like a HOSTs file but for the bulletin board. I don't know if it exists though.

Yes it can - but most spammers just use gmail or another generic webmail.
  • emilyjohnemilyjohn Fast Newbie Posts: 23
    I think spam is not allow on any website, but number of spammers use gmail or other unauthorized webmail.
    emilyjohn wrote: »
    I think spam is not allow on any website, but number of spammers use gmail or other unauthorized webmail.

As maybe, but the mods zapp 'em all. :d