Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Video about talking to a stranger online

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
I won’t put the video up as it could be very upsetting for users.

But basically it was using skype. And it depics you skyping someone you have been talking to online. It doesn’t say how old but mt geuss would be 14-16.

However when the user answers the skype it is a young adult talking to you claming to be the older brother. He asks if you want to talk and then tells you not to hang up or shout for help.

He says that it was really him that you have been talking to the whole time, that he pretended to be this other person.

He says that while talking he has been collecting information from your ip adress and has found out where you live.

He also makes ig clear that he will be on his way to you soon and you wouldn’t have time to get help.

While watching this was quite creepy and unsettling. I couldn’t help but think (that could actually happen)

And then I thought about videos that are actually premoting awearness for online safety and how this one depicts the same thing but in a blunt way. It wasn’t an awearness video but I honestly thought it would be brilliant for an older audience.

Anyway this thread was just random of what I thought about it. As I have said it really is quite dark which is why I don’t think it would be a good idea to post it

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    It just goes to show that you can never, ever know for sure exactly who you are talking to.

I've had some strange conversations with people online (including a strange text almost 2 years ago asking for my gender and if I was single). Nowadays I tend to be over cautious on online safety.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    I watched something similar that was on BBC1 I think a year or so ago, with the young girl from Game of Thrones on it. It does make you think about who you might be talking to...! :eek: Safety first always!!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Lucy307 wrote: »
    I watched something similar that was on BBC1 I think a year or so ago, with the young girl from Game of Thrones on it. It does make you think about who you might be talking to...! :eek: Safety first always!!

I don’t think ive seen that would might have a search for it on youtube

@independent I’m very much the same. However I will raise a guilty hand and say thats how I met my boyfriend. We did speak for months on a dating site first, then on Facebook then by phone before we met up. Ither than that I’m quite causious with speaking online

Nice to see what others think
    I've met some amazing friends through the internet, but I've found that if they're wary about talking offline and are quick to insist on meeting up it makes me freak a bit!

You do really have to be careful particularly at my age (15).
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I think thats a big red flag. When they want to meet up straight away and/or won’t talk offline.
    I’l admit I’ve had a bad experience online before and it really is very scary. I was 16 at the time so I don’t think there is any such thing as being “too careful.”

Are you familiar with CEOP and thinkyouknow?

They are a organisation (together)
    that provides help and information to children and young people around online safety. I found it quite helpful on what to look out for and what to do if you need help

https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk

https://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/
    I think thats a big red flag. When they want to meet up straight away and/or won’t talk offline.
    I’l admit I’ve had a bad experience online before and it really is very scary. I was 16 at the time so I don’t think there is any such thing as being “too careful.”

Are you familiar with CEOP and thinkyouknow?

They are a organisation (together)
    that provides help and information to children and young people around online safety. I found it quite helpful on what to look out for and what to do if you need help

https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk

https://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/

I think I've been on those before, but thank you for sharing the links!
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Lucy307 wrote: »

I remember seeing this too - Cyberbully on Channel 4 if we're thinking of the same one? Some scenes make for a difficult watch, but it's very powerful.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My sisters are well informed about cyber-bullying and thankfully don't belong to teen sites, use Skype or Yahoo messengerger. They have their real life friends in our village and that is great. I love how they always come to me first.
    Mike wrote: »

I remember seeing this too - [URL="http://www.channel4.com/programmes/cyberbully"]Cyberbully on Channel 4[/URL] if we're thinking of the same one? Some scenes make for a difficult watch, but it's very powerful.

Aahhhh yes I remember watching that!