Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does anyone use a software for music scoring/editing/mixing etc?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I use Avid, namely their Media Composer: http://www.avid.com/media-composer

I've stuck with them, and now I use the above and other features that Avid produce for musicians.I have a Mac Pro.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I use Magix Music Maker that I got from T.M after winning a quiz, I've only recently started using it properly for university since I'm attempting to make the sounds and music for our group project, I quite like it, it's similar to Logic Pro X which we got taught in our first year at uni, so I got used to it easily.
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    I use Sibelius, logic pro and garage band .... they aren't that hard to use just time consuming to learn. Sorry if this makes no sense I am on anaesthetic right now.

Speak soon
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi @Abigail

Sorry about last night, I thought you were asking my thoughts about the classical composer Sibelius - and then I send you a huge ass post on his Violin Concerto Op. 47 :blush: but nevermind. I love Sibelius, in particular the very old but beautiful vinyl record Mum has by the late Ginette Neveu performing this Finnish composer's best works including Finlandia.

Sorry you're suffering effects of anaesthetic right now, but it should wear off within the next few hours. We use Avid for all our composing/scoring, teamed up with our newly purchased Avid Venue 56L imported from the US. From time to time out time Dixie my partner lets another band use it for a fee, thus raking back some money we spent. Our media composer is a cinch on our Mac so lovely to use.

Aidan

You need hours and hours to practise, and if you are serious then learning keyboards is going to make you feel great about yourself once you have cracked the more difficult chords. How about getting some tuition to help you clipety-clop along more confidently? :) Yes, Ableton is pretty awesome for manipulating loops and samples though Dixie wants us to graduate soon to Avid Pro Tools HD now we have the Venue which she's as excited about as me.

Well done winning that quiz for that Magix, @Hann
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wanted to ETA above, but can't though nevermind. Was wanting to add that anyone with Windows 7 and is interested in composing electronic music even just for a hobby can download FL Studio 12 as 'Freeware' from Cnet. (Needs 364.94 MB disk space). It's a very good program. http://ccm.net/download/download-21491-fl-studio-12
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I think we have Sibelius at my school. Don't really know how to work it mind. We have GarageBand and Logic as well I think. But I can work none of them cuz me and technology don't work well together!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    We used Cubase on my college course. Does everything you could need it to, but doesn't do anything especially well. It's a bit of a jack of all trades, which is probably why no professionals use it but it's decent for educational purposes. :p
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.