Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I keep getting logged out!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have made several log in actions only to see I'm logged out. This has happened so many times this morning that I've ggot stressed and anxiety risen making me upset to the point of crying. Is it a bug? I'm on Firefox Quantum, their latest faster browser. I'll try Google Chrome and see it that is better.

When logging in, sometimes the login 'square' disappears, so clicking on it again I see my username, but as soon as I type in my password, "Log in" reappears.

:crying:

EDIT: I've been trying to post some Majorcan recipes, but when clicking 'Send' I got "Invalid server response.

Please try again."

Meh

Comments

• TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey Princesa,

Thanks for raising this with us - I've just noticed the same thing happening with both my own account and this one. We'll investigate and update this thread when we have more info. Apologies that it's triggered some nasty feelings, and we'll certainly do our best to see that it's resolved nice and quickly.

In the meantime, if you do need to chat to anybody then our 1-2-1 service is open 11am-11pm. You can get in touch with them via email, webchat or phone. :)

Thanks for bearing with us,
    Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you for sharing this with me, Mike. I'm having a meltdown at the moment, but can't get into 1-2-1 right now as I'm doing lunches for sisters and Mum. Webchat would be best as it would give me time to think before typing. Nice I can email, too. That is even more helpful.

The support here has been brilliant! I am so grateful for the feedback. I may have a bunch of family, but I have no friends except back in Majorca and as it's wintering there now, are probably gone for the season.

Anyway, I tried Chrome for here, but it was just as buggy.
    Also though sorry for double-posting,

Do I have to register for each chat group? Last night after registering to enter Support, after logging out I had to re-resiter before being allowed to access General Chat. Will I have to do this with each chat category, please?
    No problem, @Princesa. These things always seem to come at the worst times! Glad to hear you've had such a good experience with us. :)

Just an update on the logging in issue - we've noticed that ticking 'remember me' seems to get around it for now. Aware this isn't a great fix, so we'll still be looking into it, but for now hopefully that makes the experience less frustrating!

Regarding the chat registration - you should only need to make one account to use all our group chat rooms. It's odd that it asked you to re-register... :chin: In theory, you should get both options - to sign-in with your account and register. Is that what you saw when you tried to sign-in yesterday?

If you go to chat this evening, let us know if this happens again. If you're unable to sign-in with your account details, you can also tick 'guest' and go straight through which might save some hassle. :)

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    Regarding the char registration: It asked me to register as if I was a first-time user. First I used 'Princesa', but it refused so instead I put 'Julie'. Below the username box, showed 'Password', then 'Email address'. Having done both and clicked log in, in I came to Support Chat. After looging out I thought to try General Chat, and had to repeat the above steps, muttering to myself in gutter Spanish. ;)

If it happens again I'll do a screencap though it may take time to post here...is there an attachment icon I can click on? Saves me having to access the dreadful photobucket.

I'll try and get into chat tonight ticking "Guest", and see how we get along.

Okay, many thank yous for your helpo.

Julie

Edited to add: Ticking the 'remeber me' makes no difference. Also on my browser bars of both Furefox and Chrome there shows a black padlock with a red strike-through warning this site is 'Not Secure'. Later I'll be getting a VPN
    Hmm, how bizarre. :chin: Just to clarify, the discussion boards and group chat have different login systems, so you'll have a separate account for this forum and group chat. I'm assuming you registered using the chat one last night and that's how you got through to Support Chat?

A screencap would be really useful if you can. :) There are a couple of ways to upload attachments to boards threads. You can either use an image hosting site like Photobucket or Imgur, or you can use the 'upload attachments' button on the post options like this:

Ok9kQRY.png

There is a size limit on what you can upload, but for screenshots that shouldn't be a problem. If in doubt, using Photobucket or Imgur tends to be the best way to go. I've done both in this post to show the difference. You can see above is the Imgur link, and below you should see the attachment and be able to click on it. :)

Hope that helps, and keep us posted!

Thanks for the feedback about 'remember me' not working for you. That's certainly not ideal. :chin: Our tech team are looking into it as we speak, so hopefully we have more for you soon.

And the 'not secure' message is displaying because our website doesn't currently use SSL, which is basically end-to-end encryption that apps like WhatsApp use (meaning data being sent around is more secure). You'll notice our website says 'http' but most websites say 'https', and those are the ones which use SSL. The good news is we'll be moving to that format soon as well. :yes: (if I mangled that explanation and anyone else here knows more than me about this, feel free to correct me!)

It's worth noting, though, that you probably don't need a VPN here. Up to you of course, but we definitely wouldn't recommend buying one just for this website. The risk is very, very tiny. :)

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Re the VPN it''s more for having when we are using WiFi like at airports or some cafe. Thank you for the attachment illustration. Generally I use small images so avoiding bug-ridden photobucket. My firefox browser blocked a dodgy site when I accidentally clicked on an ad. Also photobucket is so slow. Glad to know you will be moving to that 'https' format, I understand your manglement hahaa!
    No problem @Princesa - that's fair enough. :yes: Glad it all made sense as well!

Just an update on the logging in situation. We've now fixed the issue, so you should be able to log in as normal without any problems. If anyone does still run into trouble, do let us know. :)

Cheers!
    Mike

@TheMix there is another concern.

While typing my last message 'It's alright to cry', up popped:

"Invalid server response.

Please try again." with an inverted red icon.

I saved my text and and clicked Post Reply, only to be glad as my post hadn't gelled. I tried again. This time I was lucky.

"Invalid server response. Please try again" has appeared several times since this morning, so I'll leave that with you.

-My other niggle is trying to find a supposed empty box that is positioned under every message in private messaging so I can respond a reply in said box, so that my inbox doesn't get anymore full than it already is.

But I can't see it. O__O

Many thanks for fixing the log in. :)
    Tonight I had to log in as a Guest to both chat groups, for when I had to fill in that register form (again!), up came an ! in a yellow triangle with the words:
    Registration error: the user ID has been taken
    And up shot my anxiety :( Of course it was taken - three nights ago I registered and got in. But not this time. I even swapped Usernames from Princesa to Julie: got nowhere.

Thanks for the update, Princesa! Just a heads up that I moved your other post into this thread to keep things in once place. :)
    Princesa wrote:
    While typing my last message 'It's alright to cry', up popped:

"Invalid server response.

Please try again." with an inverted red icon.

I saved my text and and clicked Post Reply, only to be glad as my post hadn't gelled. I tried again. This time I was lucky.

"Invalid server response. Please try again" has appeared several times since this morning, so I'll leave that with you.

The 'invalid server response' thing is a tricky one. We're not really sure what causes it, but it may be related to the 'infinite loading wheel' issue as well. You may have noticed that when you post, you get the loading wheel but it sometimes gets stuck. Generally speaking after a couple of seconds, your post has gone through and it's safe to refresh so you can see the post. On rare occasions it doesn't get posted, so it's definitely a good idea to do what you did and save it somewhere else beforehand (or just copy it to the clipboard). There's also a chance that this may have been caused by the login issue yesterday - if you start writing a post, then get logged out, that 'invalid server response' message can appear then as well.
    Princesa wrote:
    -My other niggle is trying to find a supposed empty box that is positioned under every message in private messaging so I can respond a reply in said box, so that my inbox doesn't get anymore full than it already is.

But I can't see it. O__O

With the private messaging issue, is it this box that you're referring to?

11A3Ql2.png

It might be that you're at your inbox limit. In which case, you'll need to delete a few messages (you can also check your 'sent' folder as messages usually get saved in there as well). :)
    Princesa wrote:
    Tonight I had to log in as a Guest to both chat groups, for when I had to fill in that register form (again!), up came an ! in a yellow triangle with the words:
    Registration error: the user ID has been taken
    And up shot my anxiety [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG] Of course it was taken - three nights ago I registered and got in. But not this time. I even swapped Usernames from Princesa to Julie: got nowhere.

Hmm, it sucks that this is still happening. :rolleyes: I think it might be worth us checking your account in the back end to make sure everything looks as it should – I’ll drop you a PM so we can talk about account details privately.
    Thanks for bearing with us, and apologies for all the tech problems! Hopefully we can get everything sorted (or at least workable). :)

Mike

Hey!

A forum friend kindly showed me how to reply, just as you have illustrated above. Up to then I didn't even think of clicking on the message to make the reply box appear. It just wasn't visible and I was going bats wondering where that reply box was hiding.

I've just pm'd my reply to a request from TheMix Staff to verify my initial application when first applying to join. Since that mistake I contacted the webmaster with my present and correct email address. It was easy making the mistake because phonetically my surname sounded the same. Jeanmaire is my newly recent surname changed by deed poll to match my partner's. It was easily done submitting the former email address. I feel such a silly fool. :rolleyes:

I am grateful beyond words for your help, and the help of the chat staff.
    Thank you so much!

Julie
    Aah, great to hear you got everything sorted in the end Julie! Forums do take a bit of getting used to, that's for sure. Can see how the new name would make things confusing as well. :p

No problem at all - 'tis what we're here for!

Mike

Think we've got everything sorted now - thank you so much!
    Looking forward to SSc

Julie