Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since the end of DST when the clocks went back, our evenings get darker and our mornings become a struggle; until we reach the Winter Solstice when our evenings begin getting lighter, but to enjoy those bright mornings again it's going to take several weeks. As soon as September-October arrived, I begin feeling down and often quite anxious. Days on end when it rained cats and dogs, cloud everywhere and there was me feeling pretty sad and miserable. Then mum suggested I buy a light box and use it every morning.

I couldn't face struggling through another winter, so I spent about 50 euros on a light box and been using it for about 10 days or so. Mine has the required 10,000 lux which is the medical standard to treat SAD. In less than a week I was feeling better. :)

Lux is the measurement of light. A sunny summer day consists of approximately 10,000 lux, where as the regular light inside my room only consists of 500 lux. Following the box's instructions I set it at an angle on my desk next to the computer. The light shone brightly in my peripheral vision; I'd set the timer for 15 minutes, sipped my coffee and typed my emails. Come afternoon and I would use the light box again, this time for about 10 minutes though no later than 4 PM.

I feel so much better. Well, I'm not exactly bouncing around a Tigger every morning, lol, but feel significantly good. If you have SAD, ask your parents to buy a light box. They vary in price, but aim to find one like mine: 10,000 lux. Mine recharges off the mains. It came supplied with a plug. You doctor's surgery might even be able to recommend one at a lower price because light boxes are officially recognised by the medical profession.

There are more expensive light boxes that use medically proven blue light, again 10,000 lux.

-Before buying though, consult your doctor first especially if you're hypersensitive to light (eg. diabetics and epileptics) or are on specific medication that could make you sensitive to bright light.

Mum uses it, too, and 'Belle my youngest sister. Both feel much better so it's not only me.

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I'm glad it helps! I've had one before but it didn't really have any effect on me :( but my mam and sister find it helps them a bit!
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm glad it helps! I've had one before but it didn't really have any effect on me :( but my mam and sister find it helps them a bit!

Persist with your light box. It could take up to a fortnight to work. Perhaps you should increase the timer, that might help though I'm glad your mum and sister found it helps them. :)