Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can having more money than your partner create issues in a relationship?

vidhyavidhya Deactivated Posts: 75 Budding Regular
Sometimes money can cause a power-imbalance in a relationship, with the person making more money feeling like they have more of a say in decisions. Do you think having more money than your partner can create issues in a relationship?

47152-34345.jpg?itok=lPmFn3yf

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Good question! It definitely can create friction if it is made to be important from either side. I've seen it become an issue for a few of my friends. This seems to be if one side of the relationship feels like there's an imbalance - either if they feel like they are spending too much, or on the opposite end I've also seen this bitter disappointment when one side feels they can't 'provide for' their other half. Either way, if it starts feeling unfair and you don't talk about it, I think it can build up into a big deal. Personally, I don't see it as particularly important so couldn't see myself arguing about it, but you never know!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • PositiveAuraPositiveAura Posts: 150 Helping Hand
    This is a tricky one!

​I agree with @Lucy307 and that it will start to become a problem if it's not spoken about.

​My partner and I have been in all kinds of financial situations. This could potentially be a problem if you are constantly buying and consuming things. For example, the one earning more may splurge out on clothes and meals out etc. which can cause the other to feel a little less able to contribute, spend money or treat themselves.

​I think that this is only a problem when you want ​to do this. If you desire a lot of things, want to go out a lot and like spending money, having more or less than your partner will probably become an issue. I know a lot of people who are almost competitive with each other, buying expensive gifts or asking for them from their spouse.

​Yet, if you don't desire expensive things and just use money as a means to live, I don't think having more or less that your other half is a problem. Agreeing the value of money and doing things for free or on the cheap can help you save together and gets rid of that 'money inequality' that may be in the relationship.

​If you're not really spending much, there's nothing to argue about.

But that's just my opinion.

​I like minimalism and free stuff! :thumb:

-PositiveAura:rainbow2:

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My girlfriend and I have a joint bank account, but also our own and in the two years we've been living together at home, never argued about money or had cause to. We share what we earn and Dixie gives to my little sisters because to her they are family, too. We don't spend much, though indulge in buying clothes and girl stuff as and when it's needed. Dixie might hurrumph when I brandish a masturbatory sign at some old coot driving at 15 mph in a 40 mph zone, but otherwise we crack along just fine.