Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

National Citizen Service

James_James_ Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
Hey everyone

I was just wondering if anyone here has done the whole 'NCS' thing in the summer as I'm thinking about doing it next summer but I've been reading mixed reviews. If anyone has done it could you also say what you did and how long the thing was for because I'm going to have a 10 week holiday so I need to fill it up.
Thanks
James

Comments

• HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Hey James,

I took part in NCS 4 years ago, I was in Team Reiss - the drama group. It was 3 weeks when I did it. First week was 5 days up in Scotland doing activities and group bonding sessions. Second week was 5 days, staying in university halls and doing our skill which we then performed in front of friends/family. Third week was 4 days long, and we basically was creating our idea for the campaign we do for one of the weekends in September. Then in September there are 4 weekends (one day each weekend) which we did our campaign and our sponsor day :) (as well as 2 other things but I have forgotten what they were)

When I did it, it was great, I also volunteered as an associate mentor (helping out in the 3rd week) for the next two years. I would recommend doing it, as people say, it's a once in a lifetime experience.

I hope this helps :)
    Hann
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hiya James!
    I have heard many good stories about NCS and it sounds like an all round great opportunity :) I thought about it myself but decided it wouldn't be the right idea for me.
    I think it really depends on where you are, the kind of people you get paired with, and how much you want to do it.
    if you don't feel emotionally prepared to(i.e, really nervous, anxious, ect) that could affect it. if you really feel like going then I say go for it! it is a great opportunity of a lifetime and you wouldn't want to pass it up. sometimes you can get bad people but you can get them anywhere. check out the website for more info: http://www.ncsyes.co.uk/
    there are also quite a few reviews on their facebook you may find helpful. :)

All the best! :rainbow2:

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld