Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tomorrow is the day! Sister moves out to go to uni!

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
So tomorrow is the day that my sister moves out as she is off to uni in Cardiff for 4years. She is 2yrs younger then me, yet she is moving out before I am! I'm feeling so emotional right now, how can this be easier?

Comments

• GlennGlenn Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    Hi Laura

She's moving out, the end of an era and beginning of a new one. Definitely tell her how much you'll miss her, share your emotion. I'm sure you'll be able to go visit and have fun nights out in Cardiff and she'll need her older sister when things are tough.

What are you doing for your last night or as a send off?

glenn
  • Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
    Hi Glen. thanks for tie reply. yeah she is moving out and I know the next few days are going to be hard as I get used to it. I will miss her loads even if at times I say horrible things to her. yen I'm sure ill visit her. we aren't doing anything special tonight because we are going to be spending the time with her in Cardiff and go out for a meal tomorrow night.
    ​its also going to be hard because I have an interview on Thursday and I know I'm still going to be emotional
  • SunshineSoulSunshineSoul Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi Laura,

​I can relate to how you must be feeling. This time last year I was saying an emotional goodbye to my two younger sisters before I set off to go travelling for 12 months. But it turns out you don't miss out on as much as you think you will and that bond is still there even if you're not living out of eachother's pockets. I found regular FaceTime and phone calls and sharing photos helped form a stronger relationship and helped in those times when you miss them.

​I can understand it must be difficult as you've spent a lot of time together and you've always been in close distance to one another but think of it as Glenn mentioned 'the end of an era and beginning of a new one'. That is so true, and this will enable you both to explore yourselves deeper and in new ways and make new experiences with one another in Cardiff!

​I see you're going for a meal tonight, have fun and enjoy!

​Good luck for your interview on Thursday, if you need any preparation help just give us a shout :)

- Sunny :rainbow:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Laura, I remember you posted about this before! :)

I hope your sister is settling in well. It's probably going to be tough the first few days without her, but it gets better! Try surrounding yourself with hobbies to take your mind off things maybe. What do you enjoy doing?

Oh, and best of luck for today! Let us know how it goes!
    ~Kaze
    ​Hi Sunshine Soul.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yesterday was such a hard day with the whole family and my mum did get emotional when we had finish dinner together and so did my sister. I kept my emotions in at this point. We spent the whole day with her which probably made it worse too be honest. I will try the tips to see if that helps. Yeh its difficult because we have been spending a lot of time together especially over the last few months when things have been really tough. Yeh the meal last night was good until my mum and sister go emotional afterwards as that was then making it harder for me. I felt like crying when we finally left her but I held it back. I miss her lots right now.

​As for the interview it went okay thanks and I will find out by Monday. I managed to control my emotions as I though that would be a problem cause of missing my sister but I was okay and I just let it out later on in the day when I was at preschool. the member of staff I was talking to when I then got emotional at the preschool was really understanding though .
    Hi Kaze

​Thank you for the reply

​Yeh I have posted about it before. I think my sister is settling in okay, I haven't been in contact with her today. She was settling in okay when we were with her yesterday and saying goodbye yesterday was hard!! I hope it does get better because right now I'm really struggling, I am trying to distract myself with things I enjoy doing to take my mind off things but as you can see from my reply on Sunshine Soul it was difficult today and I did get emotional at the preschool because everything was getting to me.

​yeh the interview went okay and ill let you know the result when ive heard
    Hi Laura :wave:

How are you feeling about it all at the moment? My brother's moving out on Saturday so I can completely relate, it's going to be difficult.

Have you spoken to your sister much? How's she settling in? I'm sure she's missing you.

What have you been up to since she's been gone? I know you said you had an interview, I hope it went well. Have you done much else? It might help to find something to do - could you arrange to meet up with friends or go to a local museum or see a film, getting out the house will help.

Let me know how you're getting on.

Lals :yippe:
    Hi. I'm feeling okay about it right now but I do get times when I feel really emotional. I hope you will be okay on Saturday but always here if you need to chat. Yeah I have spoken to my sister and she has settled in well. it doesn't seem like she is missing me or the rest of the family too be honest, I certainly miss her. I been helping out at my local preschool to keep busy and I will be meeting up with friends this week at some point. I didn't get the job from the interview.
    Hey Laura,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. I remember when I started uni the first few weeks were an absolute whirlwind so your sister may not have had a chance to think about home much yet, I'm sure once everything settles down she'll be in contact more.

It's great that you've been helping out at your preschool, what have you been doing there?

I'll let you know how Saturday goes, feeling pretty weird about it

Lals :yippe:
  • SunshineSoulSunshineSoul Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi Laura,

I’m glad you gave your sister a good send off even though it was very emotional for you all. How has your first week been without her around? Has she settled in okay, have you managed to FaceTime?

I’m sorry that you didn’t get the job but don’t be disheartened, you can always try somewhere else, it’s one of those unfortunate things when job searching but see it as a learning curve – I always say that with every interview you can gain experience from it and that will help in developing your interview skills and your confidence.

​- Sunny :rainbow:
    Hi Lals. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I didn't get the job unfortunately. we have been in contact regularly with my sister so its been not too bad although too be honest sometimes that makes things harder. yeh I`ve been helping out at the preschool to keep busy and its just looking after the children. yeh please let me know how Saturday goes I'm always here.

​Hi SunshineSoul. Thanks for the reply. Yeah we gave my sister a good send off and it was hard for all of us. The first week has been okay although at times I've started feeling emotional and too be honest its normally after speaking to her but I thought that would help but it has had the opposite effect. yeh she has settled in okay. We haven't FaceTime yet but she has phoned us. No I didn't get the job and yeh I guess it will help with other interviews.
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hi Meggles. Thanks for the reply. Yeh watching a sibling go to uni is challenging. Yeh ive been in contact with my sister. Glad to hear its ok to get emotional. yeh I will make plans for when we meet up with each other. Yeh sister is doing okay at uni, I'm not doing well this week too be honest PM if you can x