Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Circumcision

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not in the sexual sense, but all in all, do you see circumcision as male genital mutilation or not?

If yes, do you think that there are any exceptions, such as when it comes to circumcision and its tie to religion (meaning, if a religion calls for it, it is okay, but not otherwise)?

Comments

• Options
    Why did you leave out female circumcision as practiced by the islamics and others?

Male circumcision makes sex more interesting;

Female circumcision makes sex less than interesting!

islamics practice both...!
    :D
  • Options
    I believe male circumcision was origianlly made into religious law for hygine reasons (which no longer apply now we have soap), the same as not being allowed to eat pork (its unclean, and can cause illness).

I cannot say the same for female circumcision, as all i've heard is that it has no good reason, no consent from the person its practiced on and no qualified medic in theis country will perform it.
    Like i say, this is what i've heard / found out. None is garuenteed accurate.

I guess it is actually mutilation, and because of where it is its got to be genital mutilation. Same as nose and lip rings is facial mutilation.
    The trouble is (and reason why people may disaggree) the word "mutilation" is bias in our use of language to mean "some-thing bad" rather than its dictonary definition.
  • Options
    In ancient Egypt only the Pharouh and the male children in the royal family were circumcised...as a symbol to all that they were living gods...!

When Moses led the Israelites in rebellion and they fled Egypt things got pretty bad out in the desert...they wanted to 'go back' so they could at least get a hot meal and a hut to sleep in.

Suddenly by revelation from YHWH they, all the males, had to be circumcised...and it was done! Now, if they returned to Egypt they faced a death sentence for impersonating the royal family...!

It worked...they couldn't go back.

Circumciseing women is right up there with controling livestock and the results are about as 'exciting' for everyone involved...admittedly, I've known a couple of women who...o'h never mind!

:eek:
  • Options
    Yes, its genital mutilation. It hurts like fuck, and no aneasthetic is used. Only for medical reasons should it be allowed, i.e. if the foreskin is too tight.

As for female circumsion, what do you expect from religious cultures that are retarded by about 700 years?
  • Options
    From what I've read on the subject it is usually the mother and aunts using old raisor blades or a pair of sewing sicsors that to the deed...hard to get excited about their women anyway but they take away the only thing that could have given them a bit of joy...and alla approves! (I'll stop here before I offend someone.)

• Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Yes, its genital mutilation. It hurts like fuck, and no aneasthetic is used. Only for medical reasons should it be allowed, i.e. if the foreskin is too tight.

As for female circumsion, what do you expect from religious cultures that are retarded by about 700 years?

Maybe I'm wrong but if you're talking about male circumsion in islam, don't they usually carry out circumsion a week after the birth. If so then the kid's hardly gonna remember the pain so I don't think it really matters.
    All the muslims I know are fine about being circumsized (not that I go round asking everyone!)

Just one question, why are you all so damning about Islam??
    I read that thread entitled the Muslim Religion and everyone putting it down when they know nothing about it

And diesel, what the hell are you on, I don't know where you get that shit from but I doubt VERY much that that is how a circumsion is performed.

By the way Allah has a 'h' on the end. Not that you care but it was pissing me off!
  • Options
    Nellyluva circumcision is usually performed 8 days after the birth of a baby boy within Judaism. If any medical (or personal) reason is in the way, then you do so as soon as possible.

In Islam it is according to tradition after a boy has hit 13 (though it does differ within the different groups).

Diesel, where have you read that? I highly doubt that this is the usual way this takes place.
  • Options
    In countries like turkey circumsion is carried out when the boy is older but in places like britain it is carried out after birth. I'm pretty certain of this cos I take religious studies and my ex was muslim!
  • Options
    Well, apparently the age where circumcision should be made in Islam, is not defined. I thought that it was 13 as, if I remember correctly, that was the age that Ismael got his done.

But you say that you took religious[sic] studies, what did your teacher tell you exactly about the subject?
  • Options
    To be honest my teacher hasn't really told us that much about it but I've read a bit about male circumsion, not about female circumsion though.
    All I know is that all the lads I know had it done just after they were born.
    I remember now, we were told that Ismail was 13 when cicumsised, you were right.
    I'm still adament that what diesel said is a load of shit though!
  • Options
    personally i do not agree with male circumcision unless for medical purpose,. I think nellyluva2 must be sick to say that just because a baby doesnt remember the pain then its ok to do it without anaesthetic.
    Female circumcision is completley barbaric. this is where they remove a womans clitoris and usually its done without anaesthetic or proper surgical equipment.
  • Options
    I have to defend myself here, I am not sick!
    What I really meant was if the kid doesn't remember it then its not gonna really affect them mentally.
    Like I said, all the muslim guys I know are fine about being circumsised.
    I'd never agree with female circumsion though, that is fucked up.

Don't mind me if sometimes I start to go off on one defending islam, it just pisses me off the way everyone puts it down all the time.
  • Options
    Diesel is perfectly correct about female genital mutilation. Its almost exclusively done in the home and in disgusting conditions. Many, many girls die as a result.

Of course, Diesel doesnt mention that its a cultural thing rather than a religious thing.

As for male mutilation....Well I think its barbaric and as some of you may remember, I have strong thoughts on mothers who put their babies through that....If a guy wants to have it done of his own accord when hes older then thats fair enough, one of my friends has had it done...He said it was pure agony at 26 years old so i dread to think what it must feel like for a baby...

Circumcising a baby boy is no different to cutting off his ear or nose...Brutal, barbaric and belongs back in the dark ages.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nellyluva2
    What I really meant was if the kid doesn't remember it then its not gonna really affect them mentally..

So following that logic, a child wont remember its parent beating it as a child? Can someone get away with beating the shit out of their kid for the first few months of life? After all, they cant remember so it wont affect them mentally right?
  • Options
    I don't mean as a child I'm talking about several days after birth.
    I think there is some difference.
  • Options
    You miss my point...If its ok to do that to a kid because you 'think' they wont remember then why is it not ok to beat the kid?

Just because something isnt remembered does not make it ok....Take date rape for example....Is that ok if the girl doesnt remember?
  • Options
    Aight, you're right (god I hate admtting that)
    I don't really have any particular beliefs of whether male circumsion is right or wrong, but as all my male muslim friends are fine about it, then I guess I am too.
    Can I just ask you one thing Balddog, kind of off the subject, but why did you say that islam is shit?
    It was on some other topic i know but I just wondered?
  • Options
    I despise all religion.
  • Options
    Ok Balddog...she done put the question to you...hehehehe! Where do you start...indeed where can it end. (Balddog's fatwa?)

Female circumcision is an islamic cultural thing shared differently throughout islam...the further into Africa and the land of the slave raiders the more brutal...the more civilized...if such can be said of any islamic, merely clip a bit of skin off the tip of the clittoris!

Ol mohammed (the profit) took a wife who was only six...consimated the marrage when she turned nine...just the perverted leader of the babbletalkers at work.

:D
  • Options
    fatguy.giffatguy.giffatguy.gif
  • Options
    Okay Diesel, I still reckon you chattin shit about them using rusty razors and sewing scissors or whateva!
    I don't have any knowledge on the private life of The Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) but I thought it was common practice in those days for girls to marry real young, maybe a 6 year old is abit extreme but what do I know!?
    And for your information islamics (or muslims as they are more commonly known) are civilized so shut the hell up!
  • Options
    And for your information islamics (or muslims as they are more commonly known) are civilized so shut the hell up!

What do you expect? You live in England....

Do you expect the people living in the depths of africa to take their baby girls to hospital to get them circumcised? Even though A) its illegal even there and b) they dont have any hospitals.
  • Options
    Okay Diesel, I still reckon you chattin shit about them using rusty razors and sewing scissors or whateva!

Do you think that someone happy to slice off their daughters clitoris is really gonna be too concerned about sterilising their instruments?

Any multiation of a child in religious or cultural grounds is barbaric. There is no longer any excuse, "tradition" isn't enough.
  • Options
    I don't have any knowledge on the private life of The Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) but I thought it was common practice in those days for girls to marry real young, maybe a 6 year old is abit extreme but what do I know!?

im sorry but its true unfortunatley.
    female circumcision
    thank God its illegal in many countries.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    thank God its illegal in many countries.

Hey, what about male circumcision? You'd think that a 'surgical procedure' that claimed hundreds of thousands of lives on a yearly basis would be illegal, too, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MacKenZie

Hey, what about male circumcision? You'd think that a 'surgical procedure' that claimed hundreds of thousands of lives on a yearly basis would be illegal, too, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong.

I agree, i dont agree with male circumcision unless for medical reasons either. ESPECIALLY on babies who have no say. the foreskin on a baby is actually attached to the head of the penis, it doesnt roll back like it does on an adult, so they would have to cut it away, its not just a case of snipping it off. the fact that in some cultures they do it without anaesthetic on a tiny newborn, beggars belief. the poor baby boy wouldnt understand why somebody was hurting him and slicing a bit of his body off.
    its a different issue that female circumcision though. female circumcision would be the equivalent of cutting a boys whole penis off rather than just the foreskin.
  • Options
    In some countries? They do it here without anaesthetic, or so i believe.

I thought babies would be too young to anaesthetize....The babies scream in agony here anyway, so i guess they dont.
  • Options
    Depends on the age of the child. As I understand it they need to be approx six months before they will be given an anaesthetic for a routine operation - obviously with an emergency the anaesthetist will take greater risks...

As for circumcision, in hospital we will only do them if medically required and under anaesthetic...

Relgious [zealots?] don't have such consideration...the welfare of the child isn't their concern...

[edited to add: Does anyone think that the actual moment of skin removal is the only time that pain is felt? It lasts for days...]
  • Options

Nellyluva2, I would never talk to you in such a manner. As for the islamics...while I do not consider any of them civilized I have found many to be very pleasant to visit with and those I have had for tenants were much cleaner and better 'houskeepers' than the American I usually rent to.

Unlike some who may post here I have read the qu'ran and much other islamic literature and visit several islamic bbs on a regular basis...I have found nothing that would cause me to think that collectively they are anything more than the enemy of all maniind intent upon destroying that which they can't have for themselves.

Not a put down, just an observation of the way things are! They can't stand or abide anything or anyone they can't control...the only reason for female circumcision is control of the sex in a culture which I personally find to be barbaric.