Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Job hopping with an intention

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does moving from a permanent contract to a different job on a fixed term contract, 1 year and a half after graduating, in order to a) get away from a bad boss and b) get experience of your profession in another sector, with a view to going back to your original sector, 1 or 2 years afterwards when your contract is up, make your CV and job history messy? Will it be hard to go back by making you look disloyal and uncommitted?

Comments

• Options
    KathleenKathleen Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hi Ybe7,

I'm not sure if it would be bad, just because it depends on the industry you are working in. There are some industries where the turnover rate is fast, so people don't stay in the same job for very long, and others where you will stay for many years and just be promoted through the company. Maybe try researching the two jobs, as well as your industry, to see if that is the case.

Based on what you have said, taking a new job might be a great idea. Coming out of university, it is always a good idea to get some more experience, as it will help you get a better job afterwards. Coupled with having a bad boss, I think a change may be a good idea. But definitely do some research beforehand to make sure it's the right fit.

-Kathleen
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for your answer. It's definitely the right change having done the research. I just know that it's an industry where people are expected to stay for a long time. But I don't want to do that early on in my career since I know I want to go back anyway.