You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Volunteering

AidanAidan 165 million cups of tea are drunk everyday in BritainPosts: 1,270 Fanatical Poster
Hey guys! Hope you're all okay :)

I've been living without a purpose since last September really, when I left college. Frankly, I'm scared I've gotten lazy and I'm not even sure I'm ready to go back. But my biggest fear of all is getting a job. And it'll have to happen eventually.

I had the idea of volunteering. I thought it'd give me a purpose, a chance to give something back to the world after taking for so long, and something to put on my CV too. But mainly because it'd be easier than a job, and hopefully would ease my phobia of working and having responsibilities and being around people.

It's just an idea though, I'm not sure if I can do anything like this yet.

I know many of you lovely people on here volunteer, I was just wondering what your thoughts and experiences with it were?

Thanks guys! Have a great day :)

Comments

• HannHann Meme Queen MancPosts: 3,428 Ultimate Poster
    It's great you want to volunteer! I volunteer as a few things here, and soon to be more.
    The first volunteer like job thing I did was as a commenting moderator. So basically the comments we get on articles, I reply to with signpostings etc. I quite enjoy it and have been doing it for a year and a half already.
    I like volunteering because I'm giving back to the community and I like helping out :)
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Bpd bitch ✌🏼 Posts: 692 Incredible Poster
    Hey Aidan,

I have done lots of volunteering in the past, it's a great way to get experience and add to your CV. Usually the other people you meet when volunteering have similar interests and are all lovely people as they are giving up their time for free. You can do just a few hours a week usually, so it doesn't have to be a massive commitment if you don't want it to be. The Do it website is really good for finding opportunities in your area.

Good luck!
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • AidanAidan 165 million cups of tea are drunk everyday in Britain Posts: 1,270 Fanatical Poster
    I'd never thought about doing any volunteering online. Thanks Hann! I wanna give back to the community too.

That sounds encouraging Jelly, ooh thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look!

Cheers everyone! I feel a bit more confident about volunteering now :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a few voluntary roles here at TheMix and it's one of the most incredible experiences, the staff that we talk to and help us out are the most friendly and down to earth people.
    The mods here at TheMix have provided me with so much support and I've made some of my closes friends here and now I get to give that back to the community :)
    Good luck if you do decide to volunteer, it's a really rewarding experience