Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cousin Update

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
So Jan 13th 2017 my cousin was diagnosed with cancer. On the 18th of Jan my cousin had to have a major operation due to there being a tumour on his bowels and he came out of hospital on the 23rd. When he was told about his chemo he was told it had to be strong or he wouldn't have long left to live. Anyway he then started his chemo on the 22nd of Feb and he had 6 sessions each in fortnightly blocks which finished on the 3rd of May. Anyway he reacted to the last lot of chemo and ended up being back in hospital on Saturday 6th of May and then came out on the 15th of May.

Anyway he has to have surgery on Monday 12th of June which I'm worried about. I was feeling fine about everything intil my friend message me the other day asking about my cousin and then it made me think about the surgery. I help out at a preschool on Mondays and I know for a fact I'm not likely to be myself because I will be worried and also don't know if its okay to get upset due to worry. the members of staff will be understanding but I don't know if I should go on Monday or not.

Please get back to me x

Comments

• Options
    Hi Aidan. thanks for the reply. Yeah cancer is awful and this is the 4th person I know who has it now (some of which unfortunately didn't survive). Yeah I reacted badly to hearing the news back in January but as the months were going on I was becoming more and more positive until he ended up back into hospital after having an effect to the last round of chemo. I haven't given up on the fact he wont get better but at times I have worried about him and at other times ive been just carrying on with my life. I'm lucky to never had cancer either and sorry to hear that you lost people close to you too cause of it and yeh and good thinking about thinking you need to live ur life to the full. I'm thinking about whether to go to the preschool, I think it would be good to continue with the rountie but at the same time I' know I wont be myself on the day and I don't want it to show to the staff at the preschool even though they will be supportive and I don't know if its okay to be upset cause of worry. Ok. Well I know one of the staff members of the preschool lost someone due to cancer back in February because I'm friends with her daughter. Thanks Aidan for this x Take care x
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi hun not quite sure what advice I can best give you right now. I found when my nan was dealing with cancer I found it easier to carry on with my routine as it kept me busy there were some days I needed to myself.

It's ok to be scared but it's not something you have to do alone I would recommend getting in touch with macmilin support their help line is for family too
  • Options
    Hi Hun. Ok don't worry it's hard when someone is going through this to know what to say. Yeah I'll try and carry on with nirmal routines but sometimes it's really hard and I can't hide my emotions that easily. Yeah that's how I feel. Ok I'll have a look into it thanks.
  • Options
    Hi. Just to keep you informed my cousin has to have a 12hr operation on the 17th of July which I'm worried about, I hope he pulls through. Is there anything I can do to stop me feeling like this?