Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Manchester Attack

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
Aidan wrote: »
Just a little something I wanted to say about the attack on Manchester.

This was not an attack by any race or religion. This was an attack on humanity by monsters. We will not give in to hate. We won't give them what they want. We're stronger than them.

There is no bad religion, just bad people.

Some of those killed were children. That's barbaric. Innocent children who've done nothing to anybody.

I'm thankful for the lives of everyone who has survived.
I hope all of those injured, for their families' sake too, a swift recovery, and I hope they can all make it. They're so brave.
I'm so sorry to everyone with family or friends who lost their lives. It isn't fair. May they rest in peace.
I hope those who are missing are still alive, ans thst they are reunited with their families quickly.

Please, don't be insulted because I'm trying to carry on like nothing has happened. I'm just trying to show these monsters can't win.

Feel free to post your own messages.

I'm afraid the evidence is that this certainly was a religiously motivated attack from religious extremists.
This is not to say I have a prejudice against any particular religion or race, it's simply a fact, and to deny that fact won't help us combat future attacks of this type.
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

'Extremist' and 'religious' shouldn't be used together. There's nothing in any religion that warrants extremism. We can't target or blame anything or anyone other than the terrorists themselves, or else we've let them win.

Sorry but that's just twaddle. There's plenty of content in the texts of all three Abrahamic religions that promote concepts that by modern standards could and should be considered extreme. Murder, rape, slavery, sexism, homophobia etc
    Somebody who follows either the Bible, Talmud, Koran to the letter would certainly be considered extreme, but you could hardly say they weren't religious - as the centre of these religions revolves around those texts.

Time to be honest. Religion does produce some absolute evil fucking nut jobs.
    Weekender Offender 
    This is a thread to pay our respects and condolences to those killed, and to be unified against the bad people in this world.

Sorry I thought you were using to to assert that this wasn't religiously motivated? I just pointed out that it was.

The attack today is horrific, and I do certainly feel for those affected, but I won't go as far as posting message of support for people who won't read them. What I would say to those that may feel fearful following this attack - try not to be. The risk of being caught up in a terrorist incident is still extremely low, and certainly much lower than previous decades
    Weekender Offender 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I have very very little knowledge of any religion and the reason for this. So i cant say much . But I would like to think that religion doesn't stop you seeing what is morally right and that there are people in the same religion who think it's just as disgusting as we do & cant generalise.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie wrote: »
    I have very very little knowledge of any religion and the reason for this. So i cant say much . But I would like to think that religion doesn't stop you seeing what is morally right and that there are people in the same religion who think it's just as disgusting as we do & cant generalise.

Unfortunately religion and what is moral are often non compatible. I'm not attacking people of faith in general, I believe in freedom of thought, and as I've previously stated I'm not prejudiced against any religion in particular, but I have the up most contempt for those that let religious doctrine and works of fiction from antiquity be their compass for what is moral and what isn't.

It's an inescapable fact many terror attacks are religiously motivated, as is most conflict the world over. Pretending that religion has nothing to do with these attackers, these acts, and these conflicts is just absurd. You won't stop these attacks by blaming all Muslims for the actions of a few, but neither will you stop them by pretending Islam has nothing to do with this.
    Weekender Offender 
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Manchester Arndale was evacuated, one man arrested. Controlled bombing in Fallowfield near the hospitals...
    Islam, infact all religions, are modern and have moved on from the dark ages to adopt moral views. Christians don't stone homosexuals. Homophobics stone homosexuals. Muslims don't terrorize people. Terrorists terrorize people.

Don't be so naive. The fact is that many followers of these religions still look to their thousand year old texts as a guide to morality. Zionists still justify the theft of land from the Palestinians by pointing to the Old Testament and to the Talmud. Wahhabism is Saudi Arabia's dominant faith. It is an austere form of Islam that insists on a literal interpretation of the Koran. Strict Wahhabis believe that all those who don't practice their form of Islam are heathens and enemies. Over half of Americans believe that the Bible is the literal word of God, without error.

Whabbis are Muslims. Zionists can still still Jews, the IRA are still Christians.

Many followers of these religions don't take their religious texts literally, however many still do, pretending that this is not the case is ridiculous.
    There will always be good and bad people. Unfortunately, some bad people hide under the umbrella of a religion to make the world hate that religion.

No they don't. Many people believe that their own version of the word of God is the only word of God and they have a duty to spread it - an idea promoted by the texts of all three religions.
    92% of those killed by ISIS are muslims, for example. If ISIS is Islamic, they wouldn't be killing muslims at all. End of story. ISIS are not Islamic, ISIS are terrorists.

fyi adding 'end of the story', 'fact' or 'period' adds no actually validity to what your statements.
    Followers of many religions fight among themselves over their interpretation of 'Gods word'. It doesn't mean they aren't followers of that religion. Catholics and protestants, Sunni and Shiite. They fight among themselves for exactly the same reasons they fight against other religions.

You appear to be suggesting that terrorists cannot be religious, which is absurd. Daesh are Islamic, they are also terrorists. The two are not mutually exclusive.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    To be honest, as an atheist, I just think it's sad that people blow up other people over who has the best imaginary friend.

So do I, but they do, and they have done for thousands of years
    Religion is not the issue. People are the issue.

Both are the issue I'm afraid. Religion has historically – and today – served as an ultra-conservative and repressive influence leading to social and cultural divisions, and has been the excuse for barbaric warfare, torture and executions.
    Bad people will exploit religion and its outdated texts for their evil purposes.

Saudi Arabia is well known for it's terrible record on human rights, it's supression of womens rights and it's terrible treatment of homosexuals. Are you suggesting all Saudi Arabians are evil people? Or do you think (like I do) it's more likely that due to the almost universally adopted Wahhabi belief that these things are normalized?

As you say some religious people use their belief to do great things, but some fundamentalists also use it to commit terrible crimes. It doens't mean they don't belong to that religion. If you want to claim that religion can be a force for good, you also have to admit that it can be a force for evil.
    You call me naïve, yet I am not the one giving in to exactly what the terrorists want- division, hate and ignorance.

How exactly I'm I giving into division, hate and ignorance? If you're going to accuse me of things you better be able to back it up.
    You continue to claim this wasn't about religion, when it most certainly was.
    Weekender Offender 
    evie_rose wrote: »
    religion has nothing to do with this. yes ok terrorists hide under a religion, but have friends who are Muslim and none of them would ever dream of causing harm to others. infact they preach for peace. I see posts on facebook saying they are ashamed to be part of a religion that is being targeted with such hate

Religion was the motivation behind this.

I'm not saying most Muslims are terrorists - it is possible to admit that this was a religiously motivated attack without blaming the whole of Islam for it you know.
    Weekender Offender 
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    University of Salford evacuated now...
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Think you need to be a bit more open minded. Get where you are coming from but people interpurt religion how they want and obviously use that to be the scum of the earth. For what ever reason don't think ill evet understand
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    To be completely honest Skive, I can't be bothered anymore. I tried to send a message of hope and unity and condolences, then it escalated into a debate I no longer want to be a part of.

Cherio then. If you can't be bothered with the politics and debate board then just avoid it.
    I guess since I've given up first, you've won and I've lost, but the real losers in all of this are those who have lost their lives, and those who are going to because of the intensified regime of muslim-hating this attack has sparked.

It's not about winning or losing. This is the politics and debate board. If you don't like opinions that differ to yours avoid it.
    Weekender Offender 

I think you are becoming far too involved in this and upsetting some users.

The the greatest respect, I suggest if you get upset with somebody having a different point of view on a discussion board designed specifically for politics and debate, that board may not be for you.
    Maybe just be mindful how you speak to people and approach this topic as it is extremely sensitve and can come across as attacking a religion.

I'm not attacking any religion, I'm attacking those followers of all religions that put religious dogma above all else. This is not a general attack on Islam. It's an attack on Islamic extremism.
    Weekender Offender 
    What was even the point of them bombing some kids? Is this a tactical victory of ISIS over us decadent westerners? Sure it's sad, but if anything it has gained ISIS nothing, and only made public opinion on them worse than it's ever been. Idiots

It's gained Daesh notoriety, it keeps them relevant.

[FONT=&quot]"With Allah's grace and support, a soldier of the Khilafah [caliphate] managed to place explosive devices in the midst of the gatherings of the crusaders in the British city of Manchester," [/FONT]
    Weekender Offender 

In the greatest respect. don't tell me where i can and can't post on the boards. quit being so rude.

I'm not being rude. It was a legitimate sugestion. I have insulted anybody, nor have I used particularly strong language. I have simply given a different opinion, if that upsets you then a discussion board specifically designed to discuss different opinions is perhaps not the best place for you (though I think that would be a shame).
    Weekender Offender 
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I'm not sure why but I always have this feeling when terriorist attacks happen. I can't really describe it. It's like a anger feeling mixed with upset, fear and guilt. I have it when I hear about these things in the news. This time it feels stronger and I don't know why. Someone I knew was there but thankfully has left un harmed. I suppose it feels scarier as it's so close to home (under an hours traid drive. Just hate it so much.
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    You never know when something could happen.  It's annoying but crime happens everywhere: in every: country, town and city. Life wouldn't exist without crime. Neither would police. If there was no crime. The world would be perfect.
    Also bare in mind some of these people may get radicalised. 

Even where I live. There was a recent bomb scare (No idea if it's terrorist related) (ended up with the local shopping mall, cinema being evacuated and nearby roads closed.).  Even back when I was at school. A bomb threat happened back then we were outside for 2 hours and then were only allowed in canteen.  

These things are unexpected. You never know when things are going to happen. Like I was confused why the roads were closed that day before I knew about the bomb scare. I googled the local news and then that's when I found out. 

All you can really do is keep an eye out on things and if you suspect anything.  Also don't judge people.  

As.i said you never know when something could happen, Life is just a adventure. 

But I get why you feel like that as back when that bomb scare happened. I use that mall often but at the time it happened i had a exam at college. However if I was running late. I would of been affected by that.  Also even if I decided to get the bus that day. I would off been affected as the buses were skipping the town stops (according to friends). So it's lucky I decided to cycle that day.  However I feel sorry for people that were affected with all these events and attacks.   Also perhaps the feelings are also to do with our flight and fight mode?
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there all.

Just to say I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread since it's pretty old and since it's such a serious topic it might be upsetting to bring the discussion back.

@L100 I'm sorry to hear there was a recent bomb scare where you live that sounds really frightening and it's understandable that you'd want to bring it up. Feel free to start a new discussion if you want to talk more about it and how you're feeling. :)

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
This discussion has been closed.