Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

13 reasons why

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
I've been avoiding watching this. But I get bored at like 2 am. So just started watching the first two episodes. I'm not sure why it's soo triggering? Does it get worse? I'm not sure if i should keep watching because I dont see why it's so bad tbh. But dont want to be triggered.

Is anyone watching it or has?
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi

I can definitely see why it can be triggering for some people. For me personally I was fine with most of it but I have hsd an experience that has made me feel suicidal or self harm.

A few episodes do show some self harm and some of the strories are pretty hard to watch. I think it really depends on you if I'm honest. I particularly found the last few episodes hard to watch because of the events she went through.

Hope you're ok
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Thank You !:)

It is so very triggering.:(
    Im already on eposide ten (can tell how ive spent most of my day!) and eposide nine was tooo much and I thought it was just triggering because of self harm and suicide not for it's sexual violence as well:( and so hard to watch yet im probably will end up watching eposide 10 and the rest now
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I have mixed feelings about this, I ended up Googling what happened, because I lack patience. But personally thought it was a mockery of mental health, like to make a video of reasons as to why she killed herself, etc. I'm too tired to go into it now, but I'll reply properly tomorrow, I agree it can be triggering, but, teenage suicide or suicide in general is a difficult subject to talk about, and this movie has become somewhat a silly dramatisation of teen suicide. Like, I understand there are triggers to lead up to suicide, like bullying and shiz can be a large influencial factor, but to make a tape, and give people specific blames etc, in order for them to feel guilty, etc. It's ridiculous.

Another thing, the suicide scene, okay, it wasn't grafic or owt, but was descriptive, and almost gives young people ideas of how to end their life, if you get me, personally think it's not worth wasting you're time over, it doesn't really explore 'mental illness' but rather, how to make people feel guilty for your death, etc. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about this, it's not something I would watch again, for now, I think I'll stick to binge watching YouTubbers!
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    I really want to watch this
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi again quite a few people have moxed feelings about it. I was also ok until it got to the sexual vilonce part. I was still fine with it but it was quite intense for watch. I'm not aure which one you are talking about but there are a few senses of sexual violence and I found the last act the hardest to watch if I'm honest.

I get where you're coming from wispersoftheheart however for me I found it to be something to hit people in the face in the way of this stuff really does happen. And that bullying and abuse can drive someone that far. But I suppose it's how you look at it
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I found it interesting, i guess it does give an idea that little things can turn into something big so, people should be aware on what they say or do as different people react differently and have different feelings.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I agree. I think it shows impact and that. But I think in some ways it shows suicide is some sort of form of revenge.- to get back at them. Which it clearly isn't
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I also agree @Shaunie. I also think it gives an idea to those who want to commit suicide a way on doing so ( making tapes). So, in some ways it is preventing suicide by showing everyone should be nice to each other although, it gives a suicidal person an idea on making tapes before they hurt themselves.