Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Court

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are you scared about? If you're scared of seeing them, don't go - you don't have to.

If you're scared that they'll receive short sentences, don't be. Adults can't receive short sentences for rape.
    Not scared of seeing them, well maybe a little bit.

I'm not sure what I'm scared about I suppose it is not knowing how long they will get it is quite intimidating.
    Whether they get 8 years, 10 years, 12 years etc. - it'll be a big relief, because you won't see them for years.
    Not sure what I'm scared of. I'm still on the nhs waiting list for counselling but the local counselling centre has helped a little. But still having a hard time talking about how it's making me feel.

Everything is setting at college again so hopefully once courts out the way I can work on getting better. I know I'm not but I feeblike im going crazy like prehaps it actually was my fault that it happened? I know you guys will say it's not but let's face it. If I hadn't mouthed off at them and took a different approach in helping my friend they may of left me alone. Plus I did walk through the park late afternoon so I knew it would have been quite.
    It's not your fault. You defended your classmate and you had no idea what they would do to you. It's normal to walk though a park - and you have the right to do that without being attacked. They've probably raped several other people - and they will probably do so again (both whilst in prison and after they're released). If they hadn't raped you, they'd have raped someone else instead. The may have raped you even if you hadn't defended your classmate. You didn't cause it - they did.

Would you be feeling guilty if they'd mugged you, stabbed you or beat you up instead? Would you feel that you might be to blame for that?

Some of their other victims probably didn't go to the police. Even if they did, it's likely that it didn't result in them being convicted. Only a tiny fraction of rapes result in conviction. In this case it did, because you reported it, went to court and because there was CCTV coverage.

The media coverage of this case may encourage other victims to come forward and report what happened to them.

You should feel a bit better once you know their sentences.
    Have they been sentenced?
    Hi Guys thank you for all the support lately. Means a lot to me.

I went the sentencing today they have both been given a 10 year jail sentence and would remain on the sex offenders register for life.
    I can't believe that they are finally gone. Not ashamed to admit I cried when I heard the judge say that they were getting 10 years. I wasn't expecting that but something alot less I'm not sure why I thought that but I did.
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    What 10 years each in prision? Isn't that halved so 5years in prision and 5years on licence?

Unfair..😕 justice system is so fucked up though.

The scum who raped got 9years altogther but halved so 4years and 6moths in prision and then 4years and 6months on licence.

Are you sure that's not the same as the 10years?
    Did the judge indicate anything about their prior criminal records?
    Hi guys, the judge said that he feels that they are a threat to the general public and due to prior crimes they will remain in prison for a minimum of 10 years.

Not sure what happens after that tho.
    It sounds like they've been convicted of attacking other people before.

Did they receive ten-year sentences, or life sentences with a ten-year minimum?
    Hi sam

How are you feeling about the length of sentencing they received?

Hi guys sorry I haven't been on in a while. I suppose for now I feel ok about the sentencing but I don't really think any length of time would even be enough