Home Sex & Relationships

Long-distance relationships

AidanAidan Clever idiotPosts: 2,822 Boards Guru
Hi everyone :),

This is something I dont know much about because, to be honest, it's the first relationship I've ever been in. Sad, I know lol

I didn't mean to fall in love with this person, and I never knew it was even possible to miss someone you've never met this much. I should be visiting them soon in a few weeks, but in the meanwhile the only contact we have is messaging each other.

I was just wondering what advice people have for long distance relationships. Its the first time ive ever felt like this about someone else, and id love it to work out. Thanks guys :)

P.S. theyre probably gonna see this so be careful what you say haha, she's gonna read this and think im a right soppy git lol
"Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    @Aidan Everybody gotta start somewhere lool

My advice would be to keep it real and interesting. Random messages here and there, games, jokes all that stuff but make sure that you take your time and don't force it, if that makes any sense. Go with the flow and let whatever happen, happen.

I'm not sure if this will help but I've got best friends and we live far from each other, we don't speak every day but when we do, we're nice for 0.05 seconds before the banter and roasting starts but we also have deep and meaningful conversations about anything, and I mean anything. But since you're only getting to know each other, try to find out areas of common interest or each others likes and dislikes. Nothing too heavy :)

• AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,822 Boards Guru
    It's true that Notagain, gotta start somewhere and honestly im glad I've started with someone like her, even if it did take this long haha

I see what you mean. We're very honest to each other about our flaws, we only ever try to be ourselves. It'd never work if we weren't. I am pretty much going with the flow, I never planned this to happen haha :)
    Thanks for the advice, I might think about taking things slower if that's what she wants, but I'm honestly okay with the (admittedly fast) pace we're taking

Ooh, we so roast each other too, I *hope* it's banter haha

Honestly laughter is the best especially when you share it with another person :')
    Honestly laughter is the best especially when you share it with another person :')

Without trying to sound soppy (which it inevitably will haha), that's how I knew she was right for me, I can't not laugh with her :)
  • DreaDrea The Mix Posts: 292 Budding Regular
    Hi Aidan,
    It's so nice to hear you've found someone who makes you happy! Since it is early days, you will eventually most likely find ways to cope being long distance but one thing which I know from a lot of my friends is that communication really is key! Even if you don't have long conversations every day, it is always nice to have small convos here and there! We are lucky with all the technology we have nowadays like Skype and Facetime so use that to your advantage! It can make you feel like you're much close to the person!

Hope it goes well!
    Drea:heart:
    Thanks Drea! I hope it does too.

She does make me happy, but she also makes me feel like it's okay to not be okay. So even if either of us aren't, we pull each other through. We try to chat as often as we can, but mostly at night until one of us falls asleep (im just as bad as her at that, oops). Modern technology is amazing (when it works :) ), our relationship wouldn't exist without Whatsapp haha
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 5,606 Part of The Furniture
    Hiya Aidan,

Ah, this is such a lovely post to read! I'm so so glad you've found someone who makes you happy but who also picks you up when you're sad (and you do the same for her)! Notagain is right we all have to start somewhere - my sister is 19 and has never been in a proper relationship lol.

I'm no relationship guru but I just wanted to say I really hope it works out for both of you!!!

Eleanor!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Thanks for all the kind words and best wishes, you guys are awesome!!! Never knew getting with someone would get such a reception (not til the wedding anyway haha) :)
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 5,606 Part of The Furniture
    No problem Aidan! You're awesome too!! And hahahahahaha I laughed out loud with my really annoying laugh at that reception joke (we need to get the jokes thread back up and running)!!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    my sister is 19 and has never been in a proper relationship lol.

SO FUNNY YET SO RELATABLE :heart:

SO FUNNY YET SO RELATABLE :heart:

Haha yes!! It's unbelievable how embarrassed she gets when the topic of relationships comes up even if she was in one she'd never ever admit it ha!
    Thanks for that Millaz! I'll be sure to check it out.

It's great to see you on the mix getting posting! But just some friendly advice though, be careful posting URLs and links and stuff because you could easily get posts removed for spam