Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to overcome alcohol addiction?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can I go a whole day without drinking? I think it will be difficult for me as I'm addicted to it. I started drinking when I was 17 years old and I think it's time for me to have a break. I have once tried to quit drinking but it did not turn out well.
Is depression a part of alcoholism? I'm suffering from acute depression and I don't know what should I do. One of my friends suggested undergoing alcohol treatment from a clinic in Edmonton ( http://www.canadadrugrehab.ca/alberta/alberta-locate-your-health-authority/edmonton/ ). Will this treatment help me to overcome from the depression state? Or should I first undergo depression treatment and then consider alcohol treatment? I'm confused. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Hey Brenda,
    Firstly, welcome to the boards!
    Have you been to the GP regarding your depression? They may offer you a form of treatment, whether it be medication or therapy. A lot of the time drinking issues come along side having depression, so again it might be worth seeing your GP and just mention the fact that you're struggling with drinking along side your depression and seeing if they have any advice or suggestions as to what may help.
    Hiccup
  • Options
    FeatheredDreamsFeatheredDreams Posts: 91 Budding Regular
    Hey there! I don't know what's on offer in canada for treatment but it sounds like you have that base covered - i would highly suggest going to that clinic for treatment!

As for depression- alcoholism and depression are closely intertwined, and can cause and feed one another. Addictions are extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get over alone, so you'll need help with the alcoholism eitherway. When getting treatment for alcoholism in the clinic you should also recieve therapy which will help with the depression.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your posts. They are so informative and helped me too.