Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Adulthood is a massive disappointment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I was growing up, I was told that all of my problems were childhood and/or adolescent issues and that I wouldn't have to put up with any of those things once I'm an adult. I was also told that that I'd have freedom in adulthood and that I'd be respected as an equal - and that the appalling behaviour that I was the victim of when I was growing up doesn't exist among adults.

The reality of my adult life is a horrifying disappointment. I still suffer from most of the problems that I endured whilst growing up. I don't have much freedom. I'm not valued or respected as an equal - I'm looked down upon for being poor, for not being good-looking, for not being into various things, for not being successful etc. Middle-class people look down on me for not having a university degree. Underclass people look down on me for not having served a prison sentence. Many older people still consider me to be "a kid", even though I'm in my twenties. Some of them have dismissed what I say and tell me that they're right and I have to obey their orders by telling me: "I've got kids your age!". The juvenile behaviour of many of my colleagues at some of the places that I've worked at is just like it was in the school playground - despite physically being adults, they've not psychologically reached adulthood.

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    I agree, all your problems don't just vanish once you turn 18 (and become a legal adult).

PS: I'm no adult, so don't really have much personal experience to go on here :P
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    I agree, all your problems don't just vanish once you turn 18 (and become a legal adult).

PS: I'm no adult, so don't really have much personal experience to go on here :P

I didn't expect it to happen overnight - I expected it to be a gradual process during my late teens. I didn't think that most of what I was told were "adolescent problems" would persist strongly during my twenties.
  • Options
    Aidan wrote: »
    I can only see more problems emerging as I become an adult. Mainly because it'd be legal for me to be a drunk. And it'd be legal for my parents to kick me out.

At no age do you have to get drunk. Despite what some people claim, it's not compulsory.

Is there a realistic risk of your parents kicking you out? Have they indicated that you won't be welcome at home for much longer?