Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self Harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited June 2018 in Health & Wellbeing
Hey guys, I self harm a lot and it's really troubling and I have nobody to turn to, so I made this topic for all of those who self harm. I'm not one of those attention-seekers, I'm just me. And I need help. I self-harm and I used to hide it by wearing long sleeved shirts and jackets. My parents said it was too hot out, and are now making me wear T-Shirts. I've been able to hide it by covering my arm with the other when around them, but I need another way. I don't wear makeup, so that's out of the question too. Please help :(
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    edited June 2018
    I self-harm too so I wear long sleeves in the winter but in the summer I wont.
    Hmm there are ways that you can make it less visable but for the life of me can't think of them😂

I'm actually proud of my scars it tells me a story. I'm not saying I want scars but I'm saying I'm not going to be sweating my tits off in summer wearing a long sleeve just because I have scars.
    Post edited by TheMix on
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2018
    I dont self harm, but i have done. I hate the scars it left but hair bands and a watch is enough to cover it up.
    But you shouldn't feel the need to cover it up. It's shows you are a very strong person but also hurting yet still here and strong.
    Post edited by TheMix on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    edited June 2018
    I let it show at school, I don't really care then. But I can't let my family see, that's all. They wouldn't understand. They think the only reason to self-harm is suicide..they wouldn't understand that I only self-harm to get rid of emotional pain. I wouldn't have an outlet for the pain anymore if they found out..
    Post edited by TheMix on
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Hey JayJay15, self harming is a hard topic for both people doing it and parents, hiding it can get pretty taxing in the summer. You may want to tell someone at some stage, maybe not now, but at one point. You can find information about telling someone here

As for ways to hide it, if theres an activity you do, maybe cycling, football, something that puts you outside, or even arts and crafts, you could tell them you slipped and or had an accident when doing said activity and thats how you got the scares.

Though it wont help from repeated scaring, it could help for a little bit.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
  • FeatheredDreamsFeatheredDreams Posts: 91 Budding Regular
    edited June 2018
    Depends on how much & where you self-harm really-
    It's easy to hide my scars because there's not many & they're not particularly large.

Wristwear - like watches & bracelets can cover up (a wristwatch usually works for me - doesn't cover it entirely but it obscures most of it & my family isn't very observant).
    Wristbands and large braclets too.

I'm pretty sure there's a scar hider/remover type thing you could use, a cream of some kind...and a quick google confirms, yes. I suggest looking in a pharmacy for that - if you have trouble finding any, you can always ask the pharmacist behind the counter if they have any.
    Post edited by TheMix on
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks guys, the replies really help. I think I might try to find some way to tell my parents, or find a cover story for them. (Or just hide them lol) But yea thanks, you give me someone to talk to about it
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    I'm going to take a quote from an expert chat that could be a way to help telling your parents if thats the route you go down, its originally about a relasp but could help you, this is the full article.
    Nadz: I would suggest maybe writing a letter and slipping it under your parents' door? This allows you to say everything you want without being interrupted and it descending into a row. You could say in the letter you're afraid of it becoming a screaming match and you're really looking for some sympathy and guidance. Also, there is a possibility of bringing someone else into the conversation for moral support, so maybe ask a sibling, friend, teacher, whoever you feel comfortable with, to sit beside you when you confront parents
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
This discussion has been closed.