Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stand up to cancer!!! Shaved all my head for charity today!!!

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
My cousin was diagnosed with cancer back in Jan and recently he started his chemo. Anyway today I took the brave decision to shave my head for cancer research. I raised £350 for the charity but now I regret having it done so much as it really doesn't suit me.
​What can I do because I feel awful about having it done and just feel the need to stay in all the time until it grows back

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    hey laura,

wow what a lovely thing to do - sorry you are feeling awful about it now. Try to remember why you did that in the first place as it's for a good cause. You can't make your hair grow back so be confident in yourself and proud that you raised money for a good charity.
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Hey Laura

That's such a lovely and brave thing to do lovely!

Have you thought about changing the negative thinking from I don't know if I like my hair short to how brave and a lovely thing that was to do.

Also maybe wearing a wig? If you aren't comfortable with short hair.
  • DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Laura,
    Well done for doing that, you're very brave! Not a lot of people do that so you should be very proud of yourself! I personally think you can pull anything off if you wear it with confidence! Own the short hair and make it your own style! Just remember that it grows back and it probably wont take long to grow back either! Hope you're feeling a bit better about it today. Could just be a case of getting used to it because of the sudden change in hairstyle :)
    I'm sure you look amazing!
    Drea:heart:
  • Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
    Hi Jellyelephant. Thank you so much for the reply means a lot. Yeah I know it was a brave thing to do but at the time i felt like doing it to support my cousin. I have regretted it ever since but I'm doing what you said and trying to remember why i did it in the first place. Ill try and be confidence with the way i look but at the moments its so not like me to look like this!! Im proud that I raised the money even though I regret it after having it done.

​Hi Lostsense. Thanks for the reply. Thanks for saying it was a lovely and brave thing to do, it wasn't easy at all. I'm trying to change the negativity to positive thoughts but at the moment its not easy especially as before I had really long hair and then when I recently had it cut it was then a long bob style so having it completely shaved off was a massive step for me. I might have to wear a wig ill see how quickly I get used to it, thanks

​Hi Drea. Thanks for the reply. Thanks for saying I'm brave for doing it and yeah I know not a lot of people would do it and I' am proud in myself for doing it but its just a shock now with how different I look. Yeah ill try and be confidence with the new style but I don't know if I like it, I guess its just getting used to the sudden change especially as I said on the lostsense part of this reply that my hair was long before and then even when it was a long bob style it was still at least shoulder length, it just feels so strange not having any hair!!!!! thanks for saying I probably look amazing but I don't thing so!

​Thank you for all your replies and I hope I receive more. Its helping so much with what you all have put!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done Laura :)<3<3 hair will grow back but you'll always remember the money you raised :)
    thanks Sammy for the reply, yeah I know my hair will grow back, I still haven't got used to it yet. Yeah I just have to think about the money ive raised.
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Hope your doing okay Laura💙💜
    not really Lostsense, private message me
  • Pink+fluffyPink+fluffy Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    Hey laura,
    I know that it feels horrible right now mainly because of your body image problems, I can relate so much to that and wish I had the advice to give you on that, but you've got to remember the reason you shaved all of your hair of for, it was for such a great cause, it was an amazing thing you did, well done, that's a lot of money to raise, it's amazing.
    Alice xx
    Hey Pink and fluffy. Yeh it does feel horrible right now and it doesn't help that ive had problems with my self image before because of bad experiences which has lowed my self confidence so much. Yeh I did it for a good cause but I still regret it so much. I hope I will better about it soon but I still don't at the moment. Thanks for saying that it was an amazing thing to do
    Have you looked into wearing a wig or wearing a hat or something, anything to make you feel better?
    Alice
    I have thought about wearing a wig but at the same time I feel that I should just be proud with what ive done because at the end of my day I'm doing it to help my cousin
    Yeah, that's a great way of thinking ☺☺
    yeah I'm trying to think like that but at the same time its hard because of the how I feel about myself especially because of past experinces
    Update: Finally loving the new hair style. short shaved on one side and long on the other side with a nave shaved back! Couldn't be happier with it right now x