Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Biased reporting of Israel/Palestinian Conflict

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is the general opinion here on the reporting of the conflict. Do you feel that both sides are given equal good/bad press, or do you believe that one side is favoured?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It all depends on the time being.
    While the "defence wall" operation was going on, journalists didn't really get into why, but continued writing a lot of propaganda, which has now been proven wrong. ow I think it's about to change, after Bush's speech last night, making it clear that he wants Arafat OUT.
    I did my coursework on this :D

There is alot of bias going on, but it generally differs between both sides...studying a video clip of a BBC news bulletin you could see they were favouring the Palestinains...
    Well it depends on which papers or TV shows you watch, they all have a bias.right wing papers favour the Israelis, left wing the Palestinians.

The BBC is actually pretty good with regard to this. Personally I think they favour the Palestinians too much but there are many who think they are too biased toward the Israelis...That to me says theyve got the balance just right.
    Its funny, but I actually think that the overall reporting is pretty fair. There are one or two areas where on side is favoured over another. I think that the terrorists are given too much backing or at least their cause is justified, more than their actions are condemned.

Another area that I find biased is in the reporting of deaths. When a suicide bomber strikes we hear all about the people killed, photos are released and names are put to the victims (especially children). Yet when Palestinians are killed, we only hear about numbers, which dehumanises the event - making it more palatable...