Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Recommended films and soundtracks

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I have always been a fan of independent films and sound tracks. When I was a huge doctor who fan I would go back and listen to the sound track it would make me feel like I was in a movie , I've always wanted to make my own film.

I like films such as:

Beasts of the southern wild is one of my favourite films I was going through such a hard time when I saw the films and I took the day off of college because I was too unwell. I really liked the message of a father teaching his daughter to ready for the the real world whilst distracting her from the real problem, that he was going to be around for long. He was hard on her because he know that she wasn't going to be in for an easy ride, I loved it. It's a bit of a coming of age film but not in ther traditional sense.

26 days later is also another one, I really like the sound track and the shots, it was put very well. I like the suspense and the pace of the film, the music wasn't distracting and all an emotionally captivating. For those of you that haven't seen 28 days later it a bit of a horror/suspense film, It's themed around a deadly virus with strong apocalyptic feels.The situation is critical and a father is trying to get his daughter and son out of the danger zone without coming into contaminated rabid people.

Short term 12. This film is a bit more serious and features Brie Larson and it's centred around an adolescents short term foster care home. I like how real this film was and it touched on things like abuse and self harm bot not in the over the top way and I think that young people going through similar things will be able to relate a bit more.

Tom boy is actually a french film with English subtitles and it centred around a young "boy" (11 years of ) who moves to a new town with his family only to find that people aren't so accepting of her, yes her choice of presenting herself as a boy. I like that there aren't a lot of films about being trans gendered and I guess this was kind of hinting that it's something that people are are aware off quite young.

Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Love this thread!

Independents that spring to mind for me are Drive and Juno.

I've never actually seen Drive so I couldn't tell you what it's about (although people keep recommending it to me), but the soundtrack is amazing.

I'd really recommend watching Juno if anyone hasn't seen it though - both the movie itself and the soundtrack are absolutely killer. It's about a young girl (Ellen Page) who finds out she's pregnant by a friend/admirer (Michael Cera) and the journey they go through together deciding how to move forward. So so good.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've seen both of those films Mike!

I saw Drive a years ago and I haven't seen any films like it, without giving too much away it's quite mellow in terms of speed and theirs minimal on dialogue so you notice pay more attention on their acting.I feel like the entire film is the equivalence of sipping on a warm mild coffee and suddenly being hit with the bitter stuff at the bottom lol because you get quite a few surprises that keep you awake.

Second that! I've have actually seen Juno more than once i'm not going to lie hahaha, I might watch it again today as I finish my work...that I have definitely not been avoiding ;)

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    I've seen both of those films Mike!

I saw Drive a years ago and I haven't seen any films like it, without giving too much away it's quite mellow in terms of speed and theirs minimal on dialogue so you notice pay more attention on their acting.I feel like the entire film is the equivalence of sipping on a warm mild coffee and suddenly being hit with the bitter stuff at the bottom lol because you get quite a few surprises that keep you awake.

Second that! I've have actually seen Juno more than once i'm not going to lie hahaha, I might watch it again today as I finish my work...that I have definitely not been avoiding ;)

I'll have to watch it! I'm planning to have a bit of a binge on films this weekend, so I'll add it to the list. :p

I actually came across this just now, thought it was pretty relevant. :lol:

G3Oc139.jpg
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    I have to strongly disagree in regard to Juno.

The protagonist shows virtually no emotion when she has sex with someone whom a pretty girl would be very unlikely to be attracted to. She again shows very little emotion on finding out she's pregnant, then decides to have an abortion, then decides to give the baby up for adoption instead - all treated as though it's a minor inconvenience rather than a real new person being brought into the world. It also seemed to promote being pregnant when you're a single teenager - as though it's cool. Imagine if you had a 16 y o sister/daughter/niece who treated pregnancy in such a casual manner.

As comedy it fails due to not being funny and as drama it fails due to its lack of emotion or believability. The only character who is likeable is Jennifer Garner's.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    La Haine is a fantastic film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hs6GwQPAQE
    Weekender Offender 
    I've just finished watching Lion and fuck, Dev and little Sheru did a good job.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend seeing it.
    I've just finished watching Lion and fuck, Dev and little Sheru did a good job.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend seeing it.

Does Dev Patel play the lead role? Is he on screen for longer than anyone else in the film is? If so, why are most of his awards and nominations for his role for Best Supporting Actor?
    Has anyone on here seen Moonlight? From its publicity, I'm confused about what sort of film it is and what its focus is. Is it a hood film about drug dealers? Is it a film about being black and gay? Is it a film about being an underdog / outsider who battles against the odds to become successful?
    I would like to recommend The Breakfast Club. It's amazing!
    mixijo wrote: »
    I would like to recommend The Breakfast Club. It's amazing!

Yes - very good and just as relevant over 3 decades on.
    Don't Look Now - very well-acted and filmed.