Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Quitting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hate my job, I've only been there for 2 weeks but it's smoky so affects my asthma, kills my feet and I get home upset and depressed, it's not worth it. Soo- how do I quit?

I have only ever had summer jobs or been sacked so have never had to quit a job, how do I do it and still get paid (haven't been paid yet). Do I phone up, go in or what? Do I have to give notice? I hate things like this. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I phoned up and told my last employer i had glandular fever! Which was kinda true.... :p
    Have you tried the WERAS helpline?

WERAS Wages and Employment Rights Advice Service Helpline
    Telephone service for low paid workers, their advisers, employers etc. Offers information and advice on pay, employment rights, and benefits.
    Helpline: 0800 220823
    Found out last night I only get paid £3.50 an hour, what a joke! Why is there no decent minimum wage for under 21's, I have rent and food to buy the same as anyone older, it makes me very angry. I'm gonna find something else before I quit though.
    Karla : Thats prossibly the most useful peice of infomation I've seen all month.

Do you have a number I can report health and safty violation to? (cos thats something to keep on my mobile....)
    how about you tell your boss you quit ?
    quitting

you should put it in writing and give them 1 weeks notice nd keep a copy.

Also put in writing you expect the money that is owed to you.

I would advise you join a trade union - Usdaw is the most appropriate for shop/bar/restauraunt work.

thy have a website www.usdaw.org.uk
    Thank you redhead. It's nice to know some peop;e here are capable of giving a helpfuul answer.

I have quit now anyway, I sent a letter in. I have much more important things to deal with now.

But thanks for the helpful replies.
    Its actually standard to give two weeks notice. I wouldn't be bitchy about it, cause they did nothing to you and you chose to work there. Just tell them its not for you and move on.
    :)

as you had not worked for a month you neednt have actually given a weeks notice

however
    from 1month up to 2 yeasr it is 1 week

this can be extended to a maximum of 12 weekds dependendt on lenght of service.

however this can all change if your contract is different, butthese are your legal entitlements.