Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Long distance relationship depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so my girlfriend lives over 1400 miles away from me and we are from completely different families. Mine is totally cool with me doing whatever but her parents are completely in her face about everything. They look through her stuff and take away her things and constantly ask who she's talking to. She can't leave the house or go on walks or even have time alone because they are always telling her what to do. Ever since they found out she was gay, her life has been a living hell and they both physically and verbally abuse her to the point where she's almost lost her hearing when her mother slapped her so many times at once.

I feel so useless because I can't do anything to help her and she's broke down crying every single night and we can no longer skype or call because her parents will find out. She's mentioned wanting to die so many times and now my nights have been spent crying because I'm so worried. I can't focus on school or go out with friends because I always have to be there for her and it's giving me so much anxiety and I just don't know what to do.

Comments

• Options
    NikkiNikki Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Hi smolclover, it's great that your sharing your difficulties with us, and hopefully there will be others to offer support. So sorry to hear of the struggles you are both going through at the moment. Have you always lived apart? Do you share any common, trusted friends that you can talk to about this? Here's some tips on long distance relationships : http://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-rel...hips-2943.html

Long distance relationships can be tough, and as you say coming from different families, and the abuse your girlfriend has received, can altogether add extra pressure. If you can find a way to contact your girlfriend (maybe you could write her a letter?), this info on coming out, coping with depression, and abuse would be helpful. It is concerning that your girlfriend is going through this, and How is your relationship with your parents? Could you talk to them about it?

For your anxiety and depression, here's some tips that may help you be able get back your focus on school, friends and help you build a support network.

Please talking on here if it helps, we are all listening. *hug*
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it is verry dificult i had the same problem, time will tell it helps.