Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going to be in so much trouble if my family find out

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
A few weeks ago I went and got a tattoo of a feather with the words stay strong on my right arm and I know I will be in serious trouble if my parents find out as they don't like tattoos. I got it because at the time I was going through a difficult time so needed some positivity and plus I didn't feel I could open up to my parents. Ive had to wear long sleeve tops/ jumpers ever since I had it done because otherwise my parents will see it.
​What shall I do because I cant keep it from them any longer?
​My aunt did see it the other day and she promised me she wouldn't say anything and plus she said it was really nice but the rest of my family wont understand why I had it done. My aunt said its up to me because I'm 19 so if I wanted it I should have it.

Comments

• Options
    AliceInWonderlandAliceInWonderland Posts: 18 Settling in
    Hi Laura,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like you're really worried about what your parents reaction is going to be. You said you got the tattoo because you'd been going through a hard time - I hope things are going better for you now. I've seen that you've been getting support on the boards which is really great.

You said that you didn't feel able to open up to your parents at the time - do you feel like now that you've had some support, you might feel better able to talk to them? Maybe you could sit down with them and explain your motivation fo getting the tattoo and if they understand the reasoning, it might help them be ok with it? It sounds like your aunt is supportive, could you ask her to be there when you talk to your parents?

Some members of the community might have experience with this, so it would be great if they could share how they told their parents.

I hope things go well, it must be really hard to hiding something all the time. Keep us posted.

Sarah@TheMix
  • Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    My mum dosent like tattoos either but she evan paid for my first one for my birthday and I don't live with her now so she can't do anything. Since I've had a further 4. They might not like tattoos but I'm sure they will be ok with what you done because you had a low time and got a tattoo which is really good way of a pick me up.

Ps I've got stay strong on my wrist😊
  • Options
    Hi Alice in Wonderland. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm really worried how my parents are going to react when I tell them I got a tattoo. Yeh I got the tattoo because I was going through a hard time and still am to be honest but whenever I feel down I just go somewhere out of sight of my family and look down at the tattoo saying stay strong and then I start feeling better again. Yeah ive been getting lots of support on the boards.
    ​I still don't feel I can open up to my parents about it even with the support ive had from the boards.I will try and speak to them but I know its gonna be hard. Yeah my aunt is being so supportive and I'm thinking of asking her to be with me when I speak to my parents. I'm gonna ring my aunt soon and explain the situation I am in.
    Yeh I need as much support as possible.
    ​I will keep you posted.
    Laura
  • Options
    Hi Notagainvitelina
    thanks for the post
    ​yeh I know I cant get it taken off there and then if they do see it but I know they will hate me for having it done in the first place. Yeh I will try and have the confidence to talk to them about it because I cant keep it from them for much longer. Yeh the tattoo has a lot of meaning to me, I was going through extremely hard time when I felt like giving up and the tattoo reminds me when I'm feeling low that I need to stay strong and it still does help me at times.
    ​Oh right well hope your mum will be okay with your piercings.
    ​Laura
  • Options
    Hi Steph95
    Thanks for the post
    ​Your lucky that your mum paid for your first tattoo because at least she knows you have one unlike my family apart from my aunt. Yeah they don't like tattoos and yeah at the time I felt like it was the right thing to do, sometimes it still helps me now when I'm having a rough time. It does help me so much having this tattoo on my
    wrist to remind me to be strong.
    ​I have also got a dilemma because of the tattoo because I help out at a Brownie group with 4-7yr olds and the Brownie leader doesn't know I have a tattoo but I accidently rolled up my sleeve at an event that we were at with the Brownies and 3 of them saw the tattoo and were very interested in it. The Brownie leader doesn't know about it but I'm sure she wouldnt approve of it because of how young the brownies are.
    ​Nice to know you have a stay strong tattoo on your wrist too, was there any reasoning behind yours?
    Laura

• Options
    An update on things. I still haven't spoken to my parents about the tattoo and I'm worried what to do about the situation with the Brownies which I said about on the reply to Steph95.
  • Options
    Hi Laura

Yeah that's the reason I had stay strong as my 1st tattoo to remind me to stay strong.

How old are the brownies? I went to brownies and the leaders had tattoos. Maybe you just need to ask and if tattoos aren't allowed just say you will cover it up.
  • Options
    Hi Steph95
    Aww that's sweet that we have the same meaning around that tattoo. The Brownies are between 4 and 7 years of age. Oh ok. Yeah I will have to ask the Brownie leader but it will have to wait until I've told my parents otherwise I will still be in trouble. I am missing Brownies on Friday because I've got work so it will be the week after
  • Options
    Hi all x An update on this situation is that I still haven't spoken to my parents about the tattoo. The Brownie leader said that its fine to have a tattoo but to think about what the tattoo is and if the Brownies see it what they will say. My aunt obviously is still aware of that I have the tattoo as she sees it quite a lot when I'm with her but she knows that my parents don't know yet and she hasn't said anything.
  • Options
    Hey Laura,

That's a start that the Brownie leader said that its fine to have a tattoo. Maybe you could ask your Aunty to tell your parents?

All the best
  • Options
    Hey Steph95. yeh the brownie leader said its fine to have the tattoo, I showed her the tattoo the other week and she said it was fine if the brownies saw it because it says stay strong and nothing wrong with it. she said I need to make sure any tattoos that I have is not in anyway offensive otherwise it needs to be covered. I feel that I should tell my parents but I'm worried because ive kept it for this long that they wont be happy about it
  • Options
    It's not like something if they aren't happy about it you can go and remove it straight away. I'm sure they'll be fine about. How about telling them this weekend?
  • Options
    Yeah I know what you mean. I don't think they will be happy about it because I've kept it from them for so long! I can't tell them this weekend because I'm working most of time and also with what's going on with my cousin at the moment there is enough stress on the family so don't want them to know about my tattoo until things improve with my cousin
  • Options
    I see,

They're going to find out sooner or later though!
  • Options
    Yeah got more important stuff going on at the moment to be bothered about telling her about a tattoo, yeah I know they will find out eventually.