Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

an old subject awakened

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN
    I would serve with Greenhat, and follow him to the gates of Hell, then secure the AO. It is warriors such as he who build and defend nations.

Really?

I thought that the pilgrim fathers were more like me, critics of the corrupt and millitarily strong situations at home. If they'd been loyal to their allegiances like a good soldier is supposed to be, America would never have gained independance. Thankfully the critics gained sway through their honour and honesty. They ignored the jibes, insults and derision of the people such as you.

One could say that your nation was built by the Founding Fathers, none of whom seem to have been serving millitary personel at the time.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/charters_of_freedom/constitution/founding_fathers_overview.html

Still, you have your little illusions don't you.

Enjoy your assault on hell - I'm sure you're expected. I recall something about the whole road there being paved with good intentions. God on the other hands judges on results - and whatever your intentions, you have a lot of blood on your hands I understand, and no idea whether all of it belongs to evil men, or good spirited ones.
  • Options
    Originally posted by smoif
    You do not know Black Knight so cannot possibly comment on whether he is a coward or not. I however do know him and have seen him in action defending those who are being bullied or threatened by others, others who, appear to be bigger and stronger than he is. He is always ready to defend those who he feels need and merit it, just because he doesn't crow about it, doesn't make him a coward. Nor is he a coward because he doesn't desire to carry a gun and kill those who would defend themselves, their families or their country.

Coward
    One who shows ignoble fear in the face of danger or pain.

That certainly does not apply to Black Knight.

True. All I have to go by is his posts here. And those posts reflect a belief that cowardice is normal human nature (or maybe you missed that?).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black_Knight

Really?

I thought that the pilgrim fathers were more like me, critics of the corrupt and millitarily strong situations at home. If they'd been loyal to their allegiances like a good soldier is supposed to be, America would never have gained independance. Thankfully the critics gained sway through their honour and honesty. They ignored the jibes, insults and derision of the people such as you.

One could say that your nation was built by the Founding Fathers, none of whom seem to have been serving millitary personel at the time.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/charters_of_freedom/constitution/founding_fathers_overview.html

Still, you have your little illusions don't you.

Enjoy your assault on hell - I'm sure you're expected. I recall something about the whole road there being paved with good intentions. God on the other hands judges on results - and whatever your intentions, you have a lot of blood on your hands I understand, and no idea whether all of it belongs to evil men, or good spirited ones.

Guess the differences between "found" "build" and "defend" are lost on you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Guess the differences between "found" "build" and "defend" are lost on you.

"Lost" / "inconvenient"... probably doesn't matter much, in the final judgement... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black_Knight

from YOUR link

The 55 delegates who attended the Constitutional Convention were a distinguished body of men who represented a cross section of 18th-century American leadership. Almost all of them were well-educated men of means who were dominant in their communities and states, and many were also prominent in national affairs. Virtually every one had taken part in the Revolution; at least 29 had served in the Continental forces, most of them in positions of command.

Reading comprehension lacking? Or reality simply inconvenient and not supportive of you contention?
  • Options
    Virtually every one had taken part in the Revolution; at least 29 had served in the Continental forces, most of them in positions of command.

Exactly. Revolutionaries.

The ones who rebelled and fought against people like yourselves.

No doubt they too were called foolish names, had their courage and ideals questioned by lesser men.

However, Greenhat is right that there is a difference between building, founding, and defending.

I do not question that people such as Greenhat defend nations. Just as I do not question that people such as Greenhat are also the ones nations often need defending against. After all, people like Greenhat are just as often found attacking someone else's nation as defending their own.

I strongly contend the idea that people such as Greenhat build nations however. Millitary men may build infrastructure for better defending or attacking a nation, but they do not build nations themselves.

The church builds nations. Businesses build nations. Educators and Reformers build nations.

I would agree that most nations are built upon the land that people such as Greenhat have stolen (or won in conquest if you prefer). Were there no Native American nations before you built you nation upon their lands?

The British Empie was built in a similar fashion - but that is not 'building' - it is subjucating and destroying and claiming.

Men such as Greenhat, millitary men seeking to 'defend' their Nations, did build the minefields in Afghanistan though. Also the ones in Africa and many other lands. How proud we should all be of your valiant building efforts. Way to go, Boys! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ah, such excuses for not taking any action, for letting others stand and defend him...

BlackKnight,

Once again, I suggest you enter the military and spend some time there. Then you might have a clue as to what the military is and what it does. As for what I do, that you'll never comprehend. You seem to have an unreasoning hatred of the military based on assumptions and bias with little basis in reality. But you will continue to build on what little basis there is and convince yourself it is the whole. What a sad commentary on your opinion of the sacrifice your father made.

Missed this, didn't you?
    As a member of the US military, I have helped to build schools and dig wells. I have helped to teach people to farm more effectively, to take care of their health more effectively, to protect what they have worked hard for in their lives. As a member of the US military, I have helped to resettle and feed refugees, to demine large tracts of land in SE Asia, to protect people from murderous thugs who would prefer to enslave, rape or murder those people.

Yeah, horrid people that wear uniforms and serve their nation.
  • Options
    So what exactly do you do?
    Are you in the infantry, or an engineer? Just out of curiosity.

At the same time as helping to rebuild, and to provide aid to people and refugees, you systematically destroy the infrastructure of the country they are running from.
    Whilst you defuse mines, and rebuild hospitals, your brethren somewhere else are laying mines and destroying hospitals.

The job you do is admirable if you really do any of the stuff you mentioned. However in the end it is meaningless if you are going to run away and destroy something else.
    Yes, warriors defend nations. But as BK said, you attack, and destroy other nations who have simply looked at you the wrong way.
    It is the people who build and define a nation. Not the military. The Armed forces, and the government are serveants of the people, NOT the other way round.
    The military in a civilised country are just another branch of government. Countries that get the balance wrong are destroyed as the people the military are supposed to be serving pack up and leave.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

It is the people who build and define a nation.

Agreed. And the US Military is made up of the US people. It also reflects the same values and culture as the rest of the nation.

As for what I do?

Figure out what my name refers to.
  • Options
    That's where our nations differ.
    Soldiers here, are I can say a LOT more patriotic than other people.
    I can't really explain it, but soldiers that I have met have a completely different mindset to other people, which i guess they have to, but if you saw British culture you would understand the differences.
    An example I can think of, the majority of people here work for money and for security. Soldiers work for the fun of their job, and to feel that what they are doing is for the greater good.
    I use that as an example because that is how I feel, I don't want to spend my life behind a desk. I want to do something constructive, which is why I will either join the police (hence the criminology degree) or join the airforce, and police officers and soldiers don't work for the money, because frankly it is piss poor for the job they do.

I'm not sure what your reasons for joing the armed forces are, were they similar to mine, or completely different? I know I share my view with a lot of the other people in the armed forces that I know though.

Greenhat.....over here that would mean royal marine, but I assume you're in the infantry?
  • Options
    Greenhat.....over here that would mean paratrooper, but I assume you're in the infantry?

No, it wouldn't! A green beret is the mark of a Commando in HM Royal Marines; the marks of a member of the Parachute Regiment are (a) the parachutist's wings, and (b) a red beret.

And paratroopers are infantry: they fight on foot. It's just their means of conveyance that gives them an air of being 'non-infantry.' Cf. the Americans' term: Airborne Infantry.
  • Options
    Oops, sorry I got mixed up. I knew what i meant, I'm surprised I made that mistake.
  • Options
    The Green Beret means something different in the US Army.

Why do I do it?

Because it is doing what I believe in.
  • Options
    What does the Green beret in the US army mean? Is it the rangers or something?
    I thought you were referring to the helmets....they're green....oh I know what I meant.

So, wha do you believe in? Do you fight for a cause, or for the people?
  • Options

So, wha do you believe in? Do you fight for a cause, or for the people?

How is your Latin?

He has told you in every post. I do not need to speak for him, because he has made it no secret.

De Oppresso Liber
    Pugnare Fornicare Autmori
  • Options
    What does the Green beret in the US army mean? Is it the rangers or something?
    I thought you were referring to the helmets....they're green....oh I know what I meant.

US Army Special Forces. T

They wear a green beret. Hence, they're called the Green Berets.

Jesus, that was really hard to explain. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN
    How is your Latin?

Not as good as yours apparently...
    He has told you in every post. I do not need to speak for him, because he has made it no secret.
    Perhaps you could help out those of us who aren't Latin scholars...

The second part is obviously "fight, f*ck or die". Not sure about the 'de oppressor liber' though - doesn't sound like Latin to me.
  • Options
    Roughly... fighting to free the oppressed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alessandro

US Army Special Forces. T

They wear a green beret. Hence, they're called the Green Berets.

Jesus, that was really hard to explain. :rolleyes:

I don't know the organisational structure of the US military, I have till now concentrated on the British one, being more relevant to me and all.
    It was a simple question, all it requred was a simple answer with none of the sarcasm.

and no, I don't speak latin, which is why i asked what he believed in.
  • Options

It was a simple question, all it requred was a simple answer with none of the sarcasm.

You think THAT was sarcasm? :confused:

ROTFLMFAO!
  • Options
    Don't start, but in case you didn't know the rolleyes smiley usually signifies sarcasm.
  • Options

I don't know the organisational structure of the US military, I have till now concentrated on the British one, being more relevant to me and all.

and no, I don't speak latin, which is why i asked what he believed in.

Check your PMs.
  • Options
    I'm surprised I made that mistake.

I'm not ;)
  • Options
    "If a just cause asks for the use of violence then we must use it."

I'm sure the Bush-supporters agree with that.

So do the Bin Laden one's.

The important parts here then are:

- Who do you use that violence against.

OBL killed American Soldiers.
    GWB killed Taliban Soldiers.

OBL killed civilians. So did GWB.

And:

- Why use it...

America's foreign policy kill thousands...
    OBL's "forign policy" did too

If you have a Schwarzenegger grabbing your neck with one hand and punching your face in with the other and that's been hapening for 80 years, and someone put a gun in your hand what would you do? Drop it? Or shoot the bastard?

This is just something to think and comment about. I haven't given my opinion.