Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Someone I know is in intensive care

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
Hi. A week ago today someone I know was involved in a serious car collusion that led to him being put into intrusive car and he is currently still in an induced coma. How long is someone likely to be in an induced coms for (likely to be a head injury!) and does it mean they are alright?
​I am still very worried about him and I got emotional at work on Friday because I was so worried! Dont know if its right to speak to my supervisor at work about it.
​need answers

Comments

• Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hi Laura, I am so sorry to hear that someone you know was involved in a serious car collusion, this must be an incredibly difficult time for you. A medically induced coma is usually done to protect the brain from swelling and allow it to rest. The length of time someone is put in a medically induced coma will be different depending on the individual, their recovery rate and extent of injury. There is a really detailed article that you can read here about medically induced comas.

You said that you are very worried about your friend which is understandable. Are you able to get in contact with his family to get any updates on his progress?

You also said that you don't know whether to speak to your work supervisor. Do you feel that your work supervisor will be understanding about the situation and how it is affecting you?
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah things are extremely hard for me right now especially the last few days because nothing has been heard about him for a while so I'm worried if that is because its bad news. Thanks for the infor on the induced coma, I will look into the information.
    ​I'm worreod about my friend and haven't been able to contact his family for the last few days so worried about him and why we haven't heard anything.
    ​The work supervisor will be understanding about the whole situation its just finding the confidence to bring it up with her and whether there is a time when its quiet.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Laura,

Just checking in to see how you're doing; did you manage to get in touch with your friend's family? How did you get on at work? :)

From your previous thread it seems like you're going through a lot at the moment. Are you currently receiving any form of support? I wonder if you have heard of Hope Again; an organisation that supports young people in bereavement.

We're here if you want to talk some more about anything *hug*
  • Options
    Hi. I'm not doing too badly thank you. I did get in contact with my friends family but too be honest it makes me feel worse knowing what is happening. He has had a knee and hip replacement and the last time I heard he still had bleeding to the brain. Found out this on Thursday evening. I got emotional at work again on Friday but again i had no confidence to speak to the supervisor so theyy know nothing about it apart from the fitting room staff I told last time.
    ​Yeah I'm getting the support I need thanks
  • Options
    Update on this situation . Since I last post we haven't received any more information so I'm getting extremely worried to why we haven't heard anything. Its got to a stage when work is difficult because of my anxiety but then my mind is focused on this and other things that also doesn't make work easy. Need the support