Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My parents won't let me get a bicycle?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi! I'm new here, I hope I'm posting this in the right category.

I'm embarrassed about this, but I'm 22 and I still live at home with my parents. I'm recovering from severe anxiety and depression.

I found a job I'd like to do but it's in town and I'll need to drive there and back, and I don't have a drivers license. My parents said they don't really want to drive me all the time which is understandable. My town has cut the buses down to just two a day, which won't work for me. I can walk but it'll take me like 30-40mins which isn't bad but I thought I could get a bicycle and just cycle there!

But my dad has flat out refused. He says I will die.

I'll be safe on the road and I'll wear a helmet. I live in a safe town and neighbourhood.

I don't know what to do, I have savings so I can go and buy a bicycle but I want to respect my parents especially as I live with them. If I get this job then I can save even more money and move out. But everything my dad has said about cycling, really encourages my anxiety. They have never let me ride a bike but I have ridden a bit, as when I was little a friend let me borrow hers when I went over to her place. But obviously I'll need to go somewhere quiet to practise before I hit the roads.

Can anyone offer advice?

Comments

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi hope you are ok

Sounds like you're in 2 minds, one you want to respect your parents which I understand as who wouldn't?

But on the other hand you realise you are an adult now and should be allowed to have a lot more independents.

Have you sat down with your parents and asked them why they don't want you to get a bike? Also ask them if they can think of any other salutations to help you out.

Are there no other workers who live close enough to give you a lift?