Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Appropriate weight loss

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
Hi, forba while now I've been 2 stone over what is considered my healthy weight. I was coming up to 12 stone which I didn't want to be. I started to realise my biggest problem was my snacking and the amount of fizzy drinks I have. I have since cut down quite alot. Half my snacks and drinking more water where I would drink pop. Normally this would be 2 -3 small bottles of fizzy drinks a day if not more. I didn't want to cut this out completely as I do like it so I have slowly reduced it. I am now drinking only a small glass of pop with dinner and tea my next step would be with only one meal (with meal due to the sugar as it's best not to drink it in between)

As for snacking I've gone from an average 3-4 bags of crisps chocolate ect to perhaps one bag a day sometimes less because I'm actually thinking of the fact im not eating them due to hunger but just because I could/can

These changes alone have helped me go from 11st 10 to 11st 4

However ive been stuck on 11st 4 for a while and while I'm not putting it on, im not loosing the extra 2st I want to.

I know this is due to the fact I don't eat fruit or veg. I mean as all apart from a few carrots on my Sunday dinner.

The fact is im too fussy with food, I know this is because I simply say I don't like something before I try it.

I am trying a little but so far I'm not succeeding in getting that much needed fruit and veg in my diet.

I don't know where to go for support as my family will watch me while trying something new and say things like "you don't like it do you" before I've got chance try it properly and this is very off putting especially being watched.

It's not always the taste I find off putting but a lot of the time the look, smell and texture although some times it can be the taste
Any ideas on where I could go or any tips for helping to get that fruit and veg in my diet?

I want to do this in the healthiest way possible with out being bombarded by drastic changes all in one go. And pills and other way to loose weight the wrong way is completely out of the question.

This is more to be healthyer then my body image although being honest I'm not 100% happy

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey One-in-a-million, well done on being able to post this - it sounds like you've been making some positive life changes :)

I'm wondering whether making something like a smoothie would help you to get your fruit and veg in? That way you could try new things slowly but in drink form which (if you don't enjoy it!) could be quickly washed down?

I was also wondering whether you could try new fruits etc when you are out and about and so away from the pressure of other people watching you? Or if you are home alone you could try cooking some of the vegetables when no-one is around and try them that way? It sounds like a really high pressure environment to have to keep up with!

Finally, I was going to suggest walking for about half an hour a day - it doesn't have to be fast, or far - it could be a trip around your block or further afield. I find this really helps me to get going and it can help with weight loss. I often just go for a walk in an evening and it's a good way to clear the head too!

I hope this helps :)