Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uni stuff

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't pass or fail them, they just take off the top scorers. Well they do here anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

I would recommend that you make a complete examination of all the facts before you rush in to a diagnosis and apply treatment, Doctor.

harsh words, well spoken. as i've already said once, i was being a complete idiot that evening when i wrote all that stuff as one particular group of girls have had a very negative impact on my first year at uni; it's certainly not been the exciting and interesting time i expected and i was very down. but i completely accept that a lot of what i said was complete crap and if i recollect properly i did apologise afterwards and ask for a truce. so i'll ask again. truce, DJP?
  • Options
    Absolutely. Never can bear a grudge, particularly against women..

*offers hand*
  • Options
    thanx :) sorry for being a bitch. let's "start over" shall we

x bella x
  • Options
    Loans

I think loans are as bad. My parents earn minimal and can only help me out with Fees. Thus my loan is judged considering my parents helping. Why don't we all gets fees paid automatically then if parents can help, it's additional.
  • Options
    no offence, and maybe i've got this wrong, but isn't the thing that if your parents are really that badly off then you get the full loan? isn't that what the means-testing is for?
    sorry if i've understood you wrong
    bella
  • Options
    Yes but my parents aren't that badly off they're the middle kind of family. The poor people gets loads (labour) and the rich gets loads (conservative) and us F**cking middle people get nothing.
  • Options
    hmmm maybe. i'm "poor" though and i don't get all that much - the means tested part of the loan is only 25% up to a max of about 4.5 grand so you can only get about £750-£1000 more a year whether you're completely destitute or whether you're Prince William (although thinking about it he probably doesn't have a student loan....). Don't overestimate the generosity of this government!!! if you're into figures, I got £4770 this year and my fees paid. I have a job working 10-15 hours a week (full time in the hols) and get by on that ok. (my mum can't give me anythign and i don't live with her in the hols, so I have to pay rent all year round). People say student loans aren't enough to get by on, but I live in London, and I manage. Yeah, so i work too, but that just pays for extras like mobile bill, travelcards to ee my boyf, occasionally going out etc.
    Be interested to know how other people find it works out tho - got friends going to uni this year expecting to spend £8-10 grand??? on what???

sorry for going on
    bella
  • Options
    Well, i got £3750 loan last year, and I worked during the hols so that covered them. I'm cottish in Scotland, so I don't need to pay my fees. But I do have the max overdraft at the minute, and my folks gave me some money towards my rent (which was £1964 I think all together.) I'm not quite sure how you would expect to spend £8-10000, as I was pretty well covered socially, and didn't actually run proper out of money til a few weeks before the end of term. But I guess its different for different people.
  • Options
    I know what you mean. Ive been given £3905 this year and some of my fees (£100) have been paid. Am thinking of a year out in which i can possibly earn £8000-9000 so i think that would be helpful and leave me with money to eventually buy a car/money on house etc. Not 100% sure but seems like a good idea though yet it's a gap year.....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Don't think i'd spend much, maybe a grand on a computer if i bother and well £2000 rent and well the usal stuff. Have to learn to stop shopping though!!!
  • Options
    I can see both sides here

When I went to Uni (I just graduated today but hey, let's sound older and wiser!), I was eligible for most of the loan (About £3600 p/a) and all of my fees being paid by the LEA because my Dad's retired and is a single parent.

However, Dad helped me through Uni because he started saving money since I was age dot to do so. In the end I have never once gone overdrawn, and I'm proud of that.

I know some people with money can be very blase about college, and often just go to uni for the parties. On the other hand, a good friend of mine, with a hell of a lot of money (2 horses, 19 years old, drivers a brand new BMW 3 series w/private reg) decided to go to uni because she wants to learn and not have to be dependant on her father's fortune.

On the other hand of course, even if she crashes out of uni she won't have to worry.

CD