Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Asking to bring resignation sooner

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
Hi guys,

I've handed in my resignation to my work, and am leaving on 30th of September, however I was hoping to finish sooner. I have looked at my contract and it states:
"... you to terminate your employment is 4 weeks (following successful completion of the probation period where the notice period is 1 week)."

I haven't been told by my manager or unit manager whether I have passed my probation, therefore I could leave within 1 week. The reason why I gave them 4 weeks is because I thought myself that I had passed it, however my co-workers have said you get a gold envelope with a card saying you've passed, or that you're told at least.

Is there a way I could ask my manager if I could move my resignation to the end of next week? I have tried thinking of an email to send but I feel like it doesn't sound right.

If anyone could help by the end of today I would be grateful.

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Hann,

Could you ask your manager if you've passed your probation. You should be in your right to see if you can leave earlier. It's quite bad that they havent let you know, if its over your probation end date.

Maybe speaking to your manager will help if you feel like you could.

Hope this helps.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    how about this:

"Dear (managers name)

I was just wondering if I have passed my probation period, if I have, is there a chance I could change my leaving date to 16th September. I'm just wondering because I don't think I've been told this.

Thanks
    Hannah (last name)"
  • Options
    That sounds fine. Let us know how you get on
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options
    Thanks Banana :D
  • Options
    Anytime lovely :thumb:
  • Options
    I just noticed it should say "If i haven't" lucky i wrote the wrong email address and it didn't send the first time round phew
  • Options
    Hey guys, I got told today that I can finish tomorrow :D So last day tomorrow