Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Covering Self Harm Scars

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I have recently started self harming again. I have got alot of scars on my arms. I don't kno what to do about covering them up. Any ideas anybody. I get really self contious about them. People always stare and i feel really low. Can you help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know that Vitamin E oil can help heal scars, and arnica cream can help to reduce bruising.
    Thats for outward healing, as for inside, have you spoken to anyone at all about the self harming?

I self harmed after a few exams this year which was utterly stupid of me but I have arranged to see the college councillor. Is there anyone like that in your school you can talk to before term ends?

Hope you are well xxx:)
    You should treat these cuts as you would any other injury - you need to keep it clean, and covered if it is a deep cut. Otherwise an antiseptic cream or wipe will reduce the likelihood of scarring or infection.

But covering the scars is only half the story. You need to talk to someone about your self-harm. Perhaps the school counsellor like go_away suggests, or at the very least a friend or relative.

Keep safe :)
    You can get homeopathic cream called "Hypercal" it contains hypericum and calendula and it helps heal wounds very quickly. You will find it in Boots and superdrug at the herbal/complementaty health section.

*big hug* I hope everything gets better for you, i do know what you are going through honey.
    Hi, i know that calendula cream works well to get rid of them but you have to apply it frequently. If you do get rid of the scars, the problem is still there. Ive tried cutting myself before but havent actually done it and you have to talk to someone that you trust to sought out why you are actually doing this again. If you want to talk about things just pm me anytime and ill listen
    xxx
    Like kentish said the scars will never go they will remain in your mind. you will never forget the way you self harmed therefore i feel that it would help to talk about your problem i will help you. as for covering them if the wound is open treat with antiseptics if healed its unlikely for them to disappear although you can fade them. Goodluck with this. :)
    I got the same problem....i've got 6/7 scars on my arms and seeing as the weathers getting hotter, long sleeves are out! Where can you get the things you've all suggested? :confused:
    Tek-ila

You really need to talk to someone about this, either arrange a counselling session yourself or contact the Bristol crisis Centre for Women (number below). I have included a link to an article on scar treatments, however first you need to address the root of your self-harm.

scar treatment

Helplines and further info:

The Bristol Crisis Centre for Women
    They run local support groups for women who injure themselves, and also have a national self-harm helpline for women in distress.
    Telephone: 0117 925 1119, open Friday and Saturday evenings from 9pm to 12.30am
    www.users.zetnet.co.uk/BCSW

The Self-harm Resource Page

Susie :)
    covering the scars is hard, its possibelt o make them fade with time with treatments said about already. the healing about the self-harm is worse.

im in psychotherapy for awful self-harming, drop me a libe if you need a friendly ear to email/talk to.
    WTF ?? This is ridiculious maybe u should spend more time on not cutting up your arms than trying to find out how to cover the scars. Sounds to me like you wanna hide them so no-one finds out - and all these ppl are helping you- This makes me sick -all yor problems are self inflicted -saying otherwise is just bullshit

seems to me that nowadays there a name and a treatment plan for every messed up "condition" Has anyone stopped to think that these ppl just want attention ?

You should just get on with your life

You dont need help - all you gotta do is stop cutting yourself

Physiciatrists are all fulla Sh*t anyway - the brain is far too complecated for any modern scientist to really understand -they'll just give you some drug to numb it

Sorry about the rant ----but u gotta remember u do this to yourself
    Originally posted by bloke
    WTF ?? This is ridiculious maybe u should spend more time on not cutting up your arms than trying to find out how to cover the scars. Sounds to me like you wanna hide them so no-one finds out - and all these ppl are helping you- This makes me sick -all yor problems are self inflicted -saying otherwise is just bullshit

seems to me that nowadays there a name and a treatment plan for every messed up "condition" Has anyone stopped to think that these ppl just want attention ?

Physiciatrists are all fulla Sh*t anyway - the brain is far too complecated for any modern scientist to really understand -they'll just give you some drug to numb it

How insensitive :mad:
    This makes me sick -all yor problems are self inflicted -saying otherwise is just bullshit

Perhaps you should take the time to find out why Tek-ila is feeling so low before posting something like this?

Or perhaps medical science has just moved on in recent times such that we now know more about your so-called "messed up conditions" and can treat them better. It's called progress.

She clearly felt she did need advice, by virtue of speaking about her problems here. By obtaining that help she is making the first step in determining the root cause of her difficulties - and by overcoming that in turn she'll hopefully stop cutting.

If you had ever been really down about something, you might know that it's not always that easy to just "get on with life".

And Tek-ila, hope things are going a little better for you.
    Originally posted by Susie
    Tek-ila

You really need to talk to someone about this, either arrange a counselling session yourself or contact the Bristol crisis Centre for Women (number below). I have included a link to an article on scar treatments, however first you need to address the root of your self-harm.

scar treatment

Helplines and further info:

The Bristol Crisis Centre for Women
    They run local support groups for women who injure themselves, and also have a national self-harm helpline for women in distress.
    Telephone: 0117 925 1119, open Friday and Saturday evenings from 9pm to 12.30am
    www.users.zetnet.co.uk/BCSW

The Self-harm Resource Page

what use is a Bristol charity to a girl that lives in Stoke?

do you know of any local services she can use because that really isnt going to help her. In Manchester we have a charity called 42nd street that deals with things like this but I can't find anything for Stoke. I looked!

ure probably gonna get flamed for that. its very easy for people who have never experienced these things to say "its attention seeking"...."just stop it" etc etc. Those are ignorant comments. No personal offense but if you dont want to make a constructive comment or try to understand people who are suffering severe problems then dont comment. You're entitled to your opinion but you wont get much credit for those sort of old-fashioned, inconsiderate outbursts

I take it from all that shit you've never self-harmed then? :rolleyes:
    It's seriously not as easy as just saying, 'oh well I don't think I'll cut myself anymore.' Not for me anyway, I don't want to but I feel like I have to, its all I can do to feel better. But then afterwards I only feel worse because I know I'll have the scars.
    I know you won't understand that but I thought I might as well try and explain.
    How can it be a form of attention seeking if people try so hard to cover them up and hide the scars from everyone else? I sure as hell don't want anyone to see my scars.
    People like you piss me off, you run your mouth when you don't you understand the first thing about self harm. :rolleyes: :mad:
    If i was attention seeking i'd be going "Mummy mummy look at my arms, look at my arms..." :rolleyes:

Do you see me doing that....? Do you fuck... :mad:

I am ashamed of my scars...i didnt wanna cut my arms but it was something i couldnt help :(

I suggest you go take your advice elsewhere because it certainly isnt needed...

Oh my God!!! You are SOOO right!! You are a genius!! I should go and tell my anorexic friend to start eating again! And I'll tell my alcoholic uncle to stop drinking!! That will make everything ok again!

:rolleyes:

Of course someone who self harms needs help dipshit, its an outward sign of inward unhappiness. People who self harm don't need people like you clogging up the boards with your narrow minded piss poor attempt to have a rant. :mad:

If you want a rant, do it on another thread, not where someone is trying to get help. :mad:
    Ok, do you think we could leave this alone now? This thread has deviated from help for someone who self-harms.
    Woahhhhhhhhhhhhh...OK this bitching really is not helpful to anyone. Bloke, try to be slightly more sensitive in your responses, people come on here seeking advice and support, some may be very vulnerable too. Your response was not appropriate, so please think before posting.

Everyone else calm down.

Originally posted by mancmanomyst

what use is a Bristol charity to a girl that lives in Stoke?

It has a national helpline who should be able to direct her towards other sources of local support as well as talking things through with her, so quite a lot really.

Right as some good advice has been offered, I'm going to close this now
This discussion has been closed.