Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Legal case

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi , sorry to start if this is in the wrong place it isn't allowed to be written.

So in April I reported an assault. They found the man and arrested him. But I have been told yesterday they haven't found any more evidence.
So I'm expecting my case to be dropped.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Or have an idea on how to cope with that decision?

Many thanks sorry

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi tutle09 :wave:. Sounds like you have been though at lot this year, especially considering how long and frustrating the justice system can be. I am incredibly impressed by the courage you have shown by reporting and talking about it here.
    I can see you are hoping that someone can give you some first hand advice so hopefully someone will read this who has experience in this matter. In the meantime there is an article on the mix which you might find helpful. Also victim support have a support line and web based support. I don’t want to bombard you with links but You&co is website dedicated to the support of young people who have been effected by crime. They have some great resources.
    Hope I’ve been some help,
    Eddy
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    I've been through it all from report to sentancing including a 5day trial. Where the jury found him guilty. Has the CPS told you the case has been dropped?
    Hi thank you both for replying. im feeling a bit better than before. less tearful anyways :)
    not yet the police officer on my case has to take one more statement. but hopefully it will be over soon. thank you again for replying. its okay
    it just makes me feel so untrustful and like what the point is in actually reporting anything.
    im glad to hear the man on your case has got some justice for you.
    The man on my side didn't get justice for me. It was the evidence that did. And justice? There is no justice. Glad you're feeling a little better than before. I hope the perpetrator gets sent down
    Hi lost sense sorry if I upset you by what I said I didn't mean anything.

I really just need closure so i can get counseling and more support. Seeing him around freaks me out and I just don't feel protected.

How long did it take to get a cps decision ?
    Well, he raped me in July 2015 (last year) (I don't like the word rape it's horrible but..)

I couple of days later I was told he would be remanded he was remanded because he is a child and young people rapist (no sugar coating what he is)

His Plea and case management hearing was in October 2015

I did my pre-trail visit in November 2015

The trial was in December 2015

And his sentancing was in February 2016

The CPS made the decision to take it to court a few days later I think. But in a completely separate thing when an old friend punched me several times I did report that but the cps wouldn't take it any further
    Thanks that sounds very quick. Im glad that he was remanded. im sorry for what you went through.

(i also dont like the r word)

I think i could just use knowing either way now. I hope they can make a desicion so if it is a no i can think more about my safety and things in the long term.

Yeah everyone else said it was all very quick and usually takes much longer but to me it wasent quick it dragged.

The r word is horrible but you also can't sugar coat what it is.

Have you rang who ever is dealing with the case at the police station and asked them if the cps have made a decision wether to take it to court? If you haven't I suggest you phone the police who ever is in charge and ask them or evan phone the cps and ask them yourself.
    Can I ask if it was a sexual assault?
    Hi lost sense yes it was.
    no he hasnt gotten all the statements yet.
    Do you want to talk about it? I had to go through everything, I had to have a r*** kit set done (in other terms a forensic medical examination) which was so so so so traumatic I just remember holding a lady's hand and crying all the way through it and I had that done like 6hours after he r**** me. It' was like being r**** all over again but I had to sign to agree to it. Luckily that was the crucial part to the evidence + CCTV ect.
    hi lost sense

thanks for replying again

not overly .... i had the exam done it was like 3 am. I dont think there was enough evidence from mine. im not convinced anyway, they said already there was no cctv the camera was facing another way :banghead:

So yeah not overly confident.

My word counts for nothing anyway.
    I had mine done at a similar time well the police dropped me back at 4am on the 14th of July and later that day I did my ABE INTERVIEW aswell. Ok, I respect you don't want to overly talk about it I'll leave you be then. It's OK about replying I get an email notification and I always carry my phone around with me. I wasn't convinced there was enough evidence either and waiting on the 5th day of the trial and then being called in as the jury had made a decision. I didn't evan hear anything because I had my head in the police lady's lap covering my ears and I heard not guilty I burst out in tears but soon was told by her that he was found guilty on count one but not guilty on count 2.

I hope and pray that the perpetrator gets sent down in your case
    Hi :) thanks for the lovely message

It's good that you can talk about your experience. Can I ask did you have the same police lady all the way through ??

My Abe was complicated. But I found it not to bad as I had a lady for that instead of the police man I normally have.
    Yes well from the abe interview to the end of the trial she was the police lady that was in charge of the case
    Hi okay :( i hoped i would get a different person. i just find him scary
    The lady who is supposed to help me isnt replying and it makes me feel alone.

They took another statement today
    Hi turtle,

Maybe you could ask for somebody else? What lady is supposed to be helping you? An ISVA? Police lady? Maybe she is away. Phone the office she is from and ask them.

Are you female or male? Gosh they're taking lots of statements. Was this very recent?
    Hi lost sense. Dw to much it will figure it self out. I don't think I can change I'm not sure. I was gonna ask the lady when I saw her. He just yeah he's just scary.

Yeah I have an Isva? Like advocate? I emailed her so I will see if she replies I'm sure she will I'm probably just over worrying.

No it was in April they just didn't believe me to start with and didn't want to waste to much time or money by looking into it.

I'm female.
    It happened in april..I would assume it is going to court then. If you have an independent sexual violence advisor you can ask her to phone cps ask them for you.
    Has he had a plea and case management hearing do you know? This is where the perpetrator pleads guilty or not guilty. Have you had a letter to say you will be attending court?
    The case hasnt even gone to the cps yet. they didnt really investigate it until over a month after. its hard to prove.

Court really scares me -- how did you find it ?

Im not sure it will get to that tbh
    Ohhh :/

This case went through pretty quickly--but to me it wasent quick. There was a long gap between the guilty verdict and sentancing.

Court is fine. Nothing to be scared about. Have you been in a court before?

When I did my pre-trail trial visit (which is the first time I have been in to court) I walked in and just cried, there was the things you have to walk under and zappy things (like an airport) I think I cried because I didn't want to be there and also because I haven't been in a court before.

The trial was 5days and I gave evidence on one of those days but I listened in the public gallery on 2 other days I think(one of them being the 5th day the verdict) the day that I gave evidence was ok actually. I was worrying about it so much but it was one of the easiest things. I wasnt up there long. The lady that CROSS EXAMINED me was horrible but YOU have to remember it's not her/him that you have to talk to its the jury. I didn't look at her, I looked at the jury. Then when it was finished I was so relieved. I done everything that I could have done. I walked out of that court with my ISVA and old support worker proud.

Why do you not think it will get to court his finger prints will be on you and they seem to be collecting alot of statements. You've done your rape kit, you've done your abe. You've done really well! X
    Hi lost sense

Yeah I been in one but not crown court just magistrates to go view a case.

They have dna no fingerprints . But i dont think it's enough I'm not sure.
    Sound tough the cross examination
    I'm not simple so my Abe wont be worth much.
    Thanks
    It sounds like you did amazing
    Dna and statements should be enough. Was there any witnesses?
    Duuuh me course there's witnesses. The person who done your forensic examination will be one. The first person you told will also be one and possibly the police
    Hi lost sense

thanks for al of your kindness. im gonna wait till i know about whats going on im gonna try and not panic.
    Hey turtle

Been thinking and praying for you that's why I'm popping by to ask wether you have heard anything?
    Got rid of it
    I'm still wondering how the case is going? Do you know anymore yet? I hope you're ok
    Hi no sorry nothing. just keep seeing him around its okay im getting better at waiting im just very impatient in general.
This discussion has been closed.