Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gift Ideas for Friend going on USA exchange

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
So one of my closest friends (from school) is doing a semester of uni abroad in the USA- she will be gone up until December time. I wanted to get her a small gift before she leaves- something quite meaningful, well thought and suitable considering she will be going away. I was thinking maybe a travel journal (also quite well thought as she loves writing, and is studying English, journalism and creative writing at uni). But I can't seem to find any I like, and would be interested to know if anyone else has any suggestions?

Overall I think the thought counts rather than the cost, but as I'm a student I would like something low cost (aiming to be no more than £10).

Also I don't just want a standard usual gift like a purse or stuff like that. It's also her birthday soon, and am getting her a birthday present too. (Going to avoid giving at same time though), plus as she is twins with my other best friend(equally good friend) I don't want it too seem like she's getting extra on their birthday.

Any ideas?

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Given what you said about her, I absolutely love the idea of a journal. Shame you can't find one that fits, though! What else is she interested in, do you know? :chin:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Well Ive decided to order a journal off of amazon, and changed my mind I'm planning to give it to her for her birthday instead. But was wondering if anyone has any nice ideas of a small gift before she leaves or a nice gesture of some sort? I already have a card for when she leaves - wasn't sure what kind of card to get initially but settled with a good luck (but I specifically like the other words on the card, makes it feel more suitable) as "sorry your leaving" seems more sad, and it's supposed to be an exciting once in a lifetime opportunity for her )
    There's not really any cards for good luck on exchanges or anything like that, hence I got her the card and as I said I specifically like the bit about you will do great- as she is going to study. I hope that seems suitable, it's the best I can do anyways lol
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    A little hamper?
    Nice Ideas - just decided to settle with the card and I'm helpling her twin sister (my other friend) with a suprise get together on Wednesday! I'm going to meet her beforehand, her sister will invite us back- thinking its just so I can see her sister too (as we are also friends) and then there will be all her friends there for a suprise :)
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Awww, that sounds lovely @apandav. :) Hope it all goes well!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Thanks, just found out I need to be at the train station for a certain time but can be there half an hour before the train lol :P as my friends work friends need to get the train back, but I need to get her down in time for the surprise :D