Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Volunteering in mental health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, I'm quite interested to in hearing about all the voluntary opportunities there are in mental health. Samaritans is the obvious one but I know many charities and NHS trusts offer mental health related volunteering and I know many people on here are involved with these roles. I'm quite interested in hearing what you do and where you volunteer.

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Ybe7 :wave:

It's awesome that you're keen to get into this. You can always use Do-It for a good volunteer opportunity database & search engine - have you tried them before?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does anyone here volunteer for Samaritans? If so, how do you find it? And are there many young people who do it?
    Hi Ybe7,

It is great to hear that you are looking to volunteer for such a great cause. Do-it.org is a useful platform which offers many volunteer opportunities around the UK. You could also check out Volunteering Matters.

I hope you find the best role for you.
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Ybe7 I don't think people would be able to say if they volunteer for the Samaritans. Probably Samaritans guidelines?
    Lost_sense wrote: »
    Ybe7 I don't think people would be able to say if they volunteer for the Samaritans. Probably Samaritans guidelines?

You're allowed to share that you volunteer with the samaritans, you're not allowed to discuss anything that happens at work, including conversations with those who have been in contact
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    How do you know? Guessing you volunteer for them then.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    There's lodes of volunteering you can do in the mental health sector, for example, working with elderly, those with physical dissabilities, etc. I've volunteered for Mencap before, during there events, etc. Mind are also a really good one to volunteer for, there's lodes out there get in touch with you local mind via e-mail or something, plus, in the process you meet some extraordinary people, you could also volunteer at your local hospital, for example with dementia patients. Definetly agree with checking out Do-it.org they have a great variety of volunteering opportnities you can find, and its also easy to catergories, if you were looking into mental health placements.

This has kinda inspired me to get back into Volunteering, I've let life catch up with me a bit, that, I just didn't have the time, haha. So, defintly going to join you in the upfront of looking for volunteering ^.^