Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Will my supervisor financially support me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I currently work two jobs. One is a fast food joint. The other is distributing samples at Walmart. However, I don't work for Walmart. I work for a 3rd party company contracted by Walmart to demo and market products.

Walmart just announced that they're severing contract with my company in favor of another company to demo products. It takes full effect in October. My coworkers and I could potentially lose our jobs. That's everyone nationwide with my job title who's at Walmart.

Should I ask my fast food general manager to write me a check to see me through upcoming hard times? I don't mean company money. I mean her own money. She makes three times in her GM job as I make in my 2 jobs combined. She recently put me in for a raise but corporate office has to approve it. There's no guarantee that they will and even if they do, it's still gonna be a meager amount of money.

I previously had been with the same marketing company at Sam's Club for 3 1/2 years. I left last year and returned only a few months ago. I was always a good employee. Why pink slip me?

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Jane,

Just to let you know, I moved your post into our Home, Law & Money forum where it fits a little better. :)

I just wanted to check something - do you know if you're going to lose your job, or is it still a maybe? I noticed you said 'potentially', but thought I'd clarify as you seem to be writing as if you know it's going to happen (not that it's bad to prepare for the worst!).

​This sounds like quite a tough situation to navigate - lots of social and work conventions to take into account! I think whether your general manager would be willing to give you some money to see you through would depend heavily on your relationship with her; are you strictly co-workers or are you also close friends? If you did decide to ask and the former applies, it might be worth bearing in mind that she would have no obligation to financially support you herself (as much as that sucks), so it may be best to go in with low expectations just to protect yourself a bit.

That said, it might be a little different if it was considered a friendly favour - although even then, many people would consider this kind of ask to be quite a big request. Of course, it would also depend on the amount of money you're talking about. Can I ask, have you looked into other financial support options (alternatives to asking your manager)?

Sorry to hear about all this unfolding, by the way. It's never east to face the prospect of being laid off, so feel free to use this space to discuss the more emotional side to things as well. How are you doing at the moment? :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey,

Is there a chance you could move to a different contract within your company?

I would also suggest that whilst nothing is certain, you may want to start looking for a new job now to enable you to have something once the contract finished... how does that sound?

Like Mike has said about asking your current boss for money, it may depend on your relationship with her etc and could strain your friendship.