Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

still holds a place in my heart

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
Hi guys has there ever been anyone who has ever held a piece of your heart for a very long time or for as long as you can remember?
​This has just hit me tonight :heart:
I was like 7 when I said I liked a guy at my school (childhood crush) we were best friends until I had to move to high school and I never saw him again sad I know. A few years later I found him on Facebook and we got talking now and then and eventually I asked him out. Unfortunately he didn't feel the same way but we still talked and just forgot about it then as life went on he came on less and less and we lost contact again (6 years now)

I saw him the other day just quickly enough to say hi to and I realised that even now I still get those butterflies in my stomach just like I did when I was 7 and I'm now 21. Kind of sad really as I know I will probably never see him again or at least not for years now.

can anyone else relate? what's your long love story :)

Comments

• StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi there One-in-a-million,

Thanks for posting this thread :yes:

Thanks for sharing this here. How are you feeling about it all now? Not sure if you've seen this but we've got a couple of articles here called 'Unrequited love' and 'Coping with a crush'

Thanks again for posting this thread :heart:

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Steph wrote: »
    Hi there One-in-a-million,

Thanks for posting this thread :yes:

Thanks for sharing this here. How are you feeling about it all now? Not sure if you've seen this but we've got a couple of articles here called [URL="http://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/single-life-and-dating/unrequited-love-3182.html"]'Unrequited love'[/URL] and [URL="http://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/single-life-and-dating/coping-with-a-crush-3212.html"]'Coping with a crush'[/URL]

Thanks again for posting this thread :heart:

Hi thanx for replying :) it feels really strange and weird I mean we are talking about a guy I loved when I was 7 but only that love never really went away. It feels really comfusing too Its been 6 years since we last talked (via facebook) and I never gave him a second thought (not in that way anyway) but just a now and again "I wonder what he ia doing now" in general thought
    and yet seeing him just for a sew seconds the other day sparked my feelings for him (the butterflies and the punch in the stomoch feeling)

Is it even possible to still like someone for this long? I havent seen him (properly) since I left primery school and that was 10 years ago.

And i know Im unlikely to see him again anyway

Just doeant make a lot of sence to me and thank you I shall take a look at them
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @One-in-a-million,

I guess it's worth thinking about the depth of what you're feeling. Seeing old crushes can bring back all sorts of feelings, but sometimes they can be more through association and remembering the time you did have feelings for them rather than anything current, if that makes sense?

So, you might bump into an old flame and all those feelings and experiences might bubble to the surface when you think about and associate them with past times, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're still in love with that person today. Not to say you're not still in to that person, but it's probably worth thinking about how much these feelings really mean.

That said, it's totally natural to feel those butterflies! :yes:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi Mike, now that you mention it what I'm feeling will most likely calm down again like it has done before. Like you say it is probably more an association than an actual crush thank you
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi :)

I totally relate with how you're feeling. My first time I fell in love properly with a guy was at 17. He was older than me, and we were together for 2 months. I trusted him so much but unfortunately he left me for another girl he slept with. I suffered for 2 years, and he did try to make contact with me again, but my feelings were all over the place with him, I felt hatred, anger and love all at once, and every time he would reach out to me, I would get really happy. A part of me always hoped he would come back and when he did, I decided to move on.