Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Body Image (Questions)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
1. Are you secure with your body image?

2. Does your body resemble the media's standard of beauty?

3. Does your body resemble your race's/races' or ethnicity's/ethnicities' standard of beauty?

4. Do you think the media's standard of beauty weighs more on your mind than your race/ethnicity or vice versa?

5. When you were younger, did your relatives and/or friends influence your body image?

6. What was the largest contributing factor to the security you have in your body or lack of?

Comments

• DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    Have you looked at our Body image special?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Body Image (Questions)

Yes, pretty much.

Nope - I don't resemble an emaciated stick insect.

3. Does your body resemble your race's/races' or ethnicity's/ethnicities' standard of beauty?
    Erm..yes, I suppose so. Sort of. Maybe. Hmm.

4. Do you think the media's standard of beauty weighs more on your mind than your race/ethnicity?
    Yes, definitely - well, it used to, but I try not to be too fussed either way these days.

5. When you were younger, did your relatives and/or friends influence your body image?
    Can't think of any significant influence that they had - it's mostly the media that has affected me in terms of body image and self perception.

6. What was the largest contributing factor to the security you have in your body or lack of?
    I'm really not sure. A couple of years ago I decided to stop buying Cosmo et al because every issue seemed basically the same, and so I suppose that I was thus encouraged to stop comparing myself to the idealised media image of The Allegedly Perfect Woman. And hence get over the fact that willing my legs to grow will not make them any longer ;).
    Yep, I'm happy with my image. I need to start putting some more weight on, but that's not my image, that's my fitness

Not sure, I ain't brad pitt, but I ain't Jonny Vegas either.

Same as above

4. Do you think the media's standard of beauty weighs more on your mind than your race/ethnicity or vice versa?
    Neither DO really, I'm happy as I am, and any chenges I make are for me and my fitness, not what I look like.

My best mate got me weight training, it was a combination of improving from the skinny person I was , and as fun. Now I train to get better at the sports, wheras I started doing sports to train... If you get what I mean :p

Knowing that it's my body, and I like, it and it doesn't matter what other people think
    1.I'm not secure with my body image at all. I hate looking in the mirror because I hate seeing what other people see (if that makes sense)
    2. No way.
    3.No way, all the mixed race girls I know are gorgeous and skinny.
    4.Erm, I'll say the same as alistair.
    5.When I was younger I didn't care how I looked, I was always happy. No one really infuenced me.
    6.I'm ugly. End of story. Being told this by the lad I was seeing a couple of months ago helped me to realize this. I don't know why I hate the way I look, maybe because I'm not like other prople of my race and I feel that I don't fit in.

I realize this probably doesn't make sense but ah well! :)
    Not really...could do with losing a few pounds here an there!

In a word...no!

Well yeah i suppose!

Yeah

Nope not to my knowledge!

Does bullying count!
    1. Are you secure with your body image? no not at all

2. Does your body resemble the media's standard of beauty? no because im skinny, and i cant fill out my clothes

3. Does your body resemble your race's/races' or ethnicity's/ethnicities' standard of beauty? no because im african american, and usually those women have shaplely bodies and i dont. my mom, my aunts, my cousins, and all the other females had shapely bodies and i was the odd one out

4. Do you think the media's standard of beauty weighs more on your mind than your race/ethnicity or vice versa? yes

5. When you were younger, did your relatives and/or friends influence your body image? no i didnt care then

6. What was the largest contributing factor to the security you have in your body or lack of? moving to key west and seeing all the nice clothes the girls wore and it looked good on them cause they had shape, and when i tried it on, i looked stupid cause it was so baggy
    sometimes - im getting better.

no, not really

i dont think there really is a particular standard of beauty for any race, just individual standards.

yep, I would love to be all slim and pert like in the magazines

I think so. I was bulimic for a few years and i beleive my dad contributed to my poor self image which started it off.

Having a baby. your body is never quite the same afterwards. im still slimmish, but it ruined my boobs.
    Sometimes yes, more often no.

No, I don't think so.

I don't think so. Hmm.

Yeah. My race/ethnicity is never really on my mind.

Yeah but I'm not sure they meant to. We won't go into that.

Just my general dislike of how I look. I suppose thin, pretty people everywhere doesn't help but it's more to do with my lack of confidence, etc which I'm working on.
    Not really, though I'm not as bad as I used to be.

Oh God no! If I were in one of those teenmovies, I'd be the 'freak kid' or the 'geeky girl'

Not at all. I'm European and the media tells us we should all be beanpoles with double D tits. Shouldn't they focus on inner beauty?

I'd say the media's standard of beauty has always caused me more problems. When I was younger and, at the time clinically depressed, I'd cry for hours over my ideals of beauty and how I didn't fit them. But like somebody told me, 'life is not like the movies', we don't all fit the ideals that the media throw at us. And the people who set these ideals? Most likely perverts, or men who's libido exceeds that of a functional person. Beauty is an inner thing, get it straight!

To an extent, though in school I never dressed the same as my friends... my Mum chose my clothes *blushes on the fact that she's never really shopped for her own clothes until she was about 14* I guess that I modelled my dress sense on who I saw on TV.
    As for my image, I had no model until I was about 15, when it was characters from films or videogames, you know, the kick ass bitches that fight for virtue and beat up men.

I guess what the opposite/same sex think of me. I feel more secure if somebody finds me attractive, aprticulary in that way (if you catch my drift). But then I'm not really an attractive person, just a plain ol' eighteen year old who's into her rock and shit...
    Originally posted by Lanni

6. What is the largest contributing factor to the security you have in your body or lack of?

1. yes
    2. no
    3. no
    4. no
    5. yes
    6. lack of - my mum told me before coming to uni that i wasn't attractive and not to expect to date very much...ive dated plenty since ive been at uni and the guys i date make me feel great about myself.

Yeah, I'd say so

Not really for me to say

Suppose so, is there such a thing ??

I'd say so - I'm more concious of the media standard than my race standard

Yep, not any more though

That people appear to accept me for who I am, so its not an issue