Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pet Hates!!!!!!!

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
[FONT=&quot]
vvLQp0U.jpg?1

The start of a new relationship can send you head over heels in love with your new partner, everything’s new and exciting and you think everything they say or do is totally fabulous!
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That’s all great, but then what happens as time goes on and things start to a get a little more serious!?

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]p7U6VFZ.jpg?1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

What happens when you get to know your partner a bit more and start to find some of the things that were cute at first actually pretty annoying!

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]xUnEbWm.jpg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Relationships will inevitably change over time and that’s completely fine and normal. The honeymoon period won’t last forever, but don’t worry, there are a few small things we can do keep the spark alive.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]RF7MQT0.jpg?1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

There’s some tips in this article about small things you can do to have a happier relationship[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

So, what bug bears have you had with your partner and how you deal with these?[/FONT]

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    One thing that I have come to realize about my boyfriend and I is that we do things at a different pace.

I am by nature a very assertive person. When I get an idea into my head or when I have a task that needs doing, I oftentimes get to executing it right away. That isn't to say I am not a procrastinator, because I totally am! My bf, on the other hand, is super laid back and is not at all Type-A about things. He is a responsible individual -- in some ways, more responsible than myself! -- and always follows through with the really big, really important stuff. But, I have experienced a lot of frustration/stress at our different ways of doing things. It sometimes makes me feel like we are not so in-sync!

At first, we would argue about how I feel anxious and like our days seem to slip away with his slower pace. After enough spats we were able to dissect an argument and locate the source of our frustrations.

Here is a pretty simplistic example: my bf loves to go up and down the aisles at the grocery store, reading labels, perusing each food item. Meanwhile, I am the type who goes in with a list, sticks to it, then leaves straight away, always with my blinders on. I told him once going grocery shopping with him made me feel trapped and like my life was slipping away. :hyper: He totally understood where I was coming from because he knows it sucks having to wait around doing seemingly menial tasks, but expressed that there wasn't actually a need to rush through things, and that feeling rushed made him feel anxious and stressed.

I know it was a fairly simple example of a pet hate, but I feel like this kind of annoyance has macroscopic application! Sometimes it's a tiny annoyance that actually triggers to a larger overall issue or theme in the relationship? I came away from our discussion feeling.. aware that it would do me good to take a breath every once in a while, slow things down, and appreciate living my life instead of always rushing to the next thing. And, there's something to be said about savoring the little things in your together-ness with your significant other.