Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

So I self harm, what now???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really don't know what to do. I cut myself the other day after I'd managed not to for nearly a year, but on that day everything just got on top of me and I had to do it. I regretted it as soon as I'd done it because I know it looks so ugly but I can't help it.
I don't know where to go from here, I'm not depressed, I just feel so awful sometimes and ugly and useless and I don't know who to talk to. My family are a definite no no, we're not close at all, my friends don't take it seriously and I can't be bothered to trouble them because they'll just think I'm self obsessed.
I know that everyone will say, 'oh all teenagers think they're depressed,' but nothing ever seems to get any better, I always feel down.
Anyone out there care to advise me?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: So I self harm, what now???
    Originally posted by Nellyluva2
    I don't know who to talk to. My family are a definite no no, we're not close at all, my friends don't take it seriously and I can't be bothered to trouble them because they'll just think I'm self obsessed.

Gah, I know the feeling, I didn't want to upset my family and my friends treated me as if I was some sort of leper.

I think the best course of action would be to find someone you could have a good old natter with, I'm at college so I was able to find the college councillor. Are you at school/college/uni? Cos I'm sure they have people there you can talk to.

If not, it might be worth your while getting in contact with your doctor because they may be able to refer you to someone to talk to.

I find talking to strangers really help. You can be so honest, and you know it's in confidence.

Good luck, the road to recovery is a long one, but it is definatly worth it in the end. If you want to chat, just PM me, remember you are not alone in this. :)
    Hrm. This probably won't be a popular opinion, but sometimes it can just be a stage you go through.
    I've self-harmed for about 6 years now and I really don't buy into the whole dramatised 'oh you must be so tortured!!!!' posted whenever someone admits they self-harm.
    Bottom line - Do YOU think it would be useful to talk to someone? You don't have to tell your family or friends if you don't want to, that's up to you. You CAN stop self-harming on your own (heh, take yer own advice Louise) but support can be useful.

When you want to self-harm there are wa WHOLE lot of things you could do instead. I have tons of things - if you want I can pm them to you if you want to try alternative ways of getting past the impulse to self-harm.

I dunno, I just don't think dishing out sympathy is useful in these situations. You CAN take responsibilty for yourself and make your own decisions once you have the right info.

I know it is difficult when you re-start after such a long period, but that doesn't mean all that time doesn't matter. You CAN refrain from doing it and you CAN learn to deal with bad feelings without doing it too.

If you wanna talk about it, then I'd be more than willing to listen.

Take care. :)
    I know I could get over cutting myself, but I can't handle all the bad feelings that make me do it, I do wanna talk to someone, I just haven't got a clue where to start or what to say.
    Hey, that's a start already.
    You could begin with -
    A school nurse/councellor - I don't know how old you are, but if you are of school age they should have these resources.

Your doctor - Can refer you to a counsellor and offer practical advice.

Some areas have independent counselling services that would be listed in the phone book.

So yeah, a lot of it means counselling which is great to help you sort out and deal with the bad feelings.
    Relatives, friends, people on these boards etc. can offer support if you need.

To be honest, no one knows what to say when they first go and talk to someone. Usually the first words are 'I don't know what to say' or 'I feel really stupid, but...'
    It doesn't matter what you say. You can write it down, you can mumble it at your feet, it doesn't matter HOW you say it. You will find the words.
    Whether they make sense is another matter. :)

No, they go through training for a reason, and they want to help.
    I went to my school councellor for help. i didn't know what to say so i sat there quiet for a while. then she asked me what was on my mind. Then it all just came out in one. I cried and she didn't mind. she sat there and listened. Don't worry about not knowing what to say. You will find the words when you need them. So just give it a go. If its not your thing them don't worry there are other ways.