Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

To the Moon: A Story of Women and Aspergers

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I thought it would be cool to share a moment from a story behind a game that a friend of mine was telling me about, last night.

To_the_Moon_PosterDual.jpg

It's called 'To The Moon' and is centered around a man who, before his death, is granted one wish by doctors who are able to alter his memory (therefore making him believe he has achieved said wish). He revisits various parts of his life, and it gradually becomes apparent to him that one of the main female characters in the story (and someone he knew through his life) has aspergers. Leading on from this, she says something which I thought would be relatable to a lot of folks on here. I'm a bit of a sucker for artistically and poetically written things, too... ;)

[For a little bit of context, in the story, these two women are both autistic. One, Isabella, learns how to disguise it by weaving various things into her social self and appear 'normal'. River, on the other hand, never takes that route and lives her life as the raw person she is, autism 'n' all.]
With effort, it is possible to acquire a guise of social norms systematically. But you know what? I both envy and pity River. Me..? I’m an actress because I’ve been doing it all my life. Not only on-stage, but off-stage…and at practically every moment. I’ve gotten good at it because acting is the only option I have. It is the only way for me to be ‘normal’. But River…she never did that. She remained an outcast and refused to learn how to step against it. I don’t know if it was by choice or limit, whether by bravery or cowardice. There are days where I just can’t stand faking it anymore. And then I realise that it’s to late. The Isabell that people know of is all an act and the real me has long become a stranger. I think in the end…I just envy her.

Anyway, just thought it might be a cool thing for some people to relate to. Quite beautifully written, too, in my opinion. :heart:
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    This is an amazing but sad game. There's a song which is played in the game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkvVr6n1cGk
    And I just think it's such an amazing song to go to the game
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    As someone who may have aspergers syndrome ( I will be getting assessed) - I felt I could relate to Isabell - reminding me particularly of social struggles as a child, and how I feel I've managed to adapt to some extent. Additionally I do feel like I put on an act often, and have got very good at "acting"- i can think of many situations.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    @Hann I agree, that soundtrack is pretty great from what I've heard of it. :) I need to actually play it. It's a bit Pokémon-esque (minus the battles, ofc).

@apandav It's wicked to hear that you can relate. I feel it, too (though, in a way not related to autism). Do you feel it's a good or bad thing, in general?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.